iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Extra arch for long logs?

Started by Brad_bb, May 25, 2017, 10:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

There's a bunch of Ash on a neighbors property that will be cut soon.  He says I can have all I want.  It's tall straight trunks.  I could probably get some 18-24+ straight butt logs for beams.  I have a track loader, but I can't carry a log that long perpendicular to the road.  The road is about 1/8 mile plus another 1/4 mile of my driveway.  I have a logrite fetching arch and a Polaris Ranger that I've moved logs with before.  For that length though I'd need a dolly or another arch for the back end of a 24 foot log.  I'm thinking the logrite bucking arch or the junior arch.  I could also mill them on site making beams, which would be lighter to move, but still very long.

I'm hesitating because I really hate to drop that money for something I may not use enough to justify?  Hard decision.  Any input?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

grouch

How are you at rigging? Could rent a 2-wheel car tow dolly. Butt in your Logrite, top in the tow dolly.

[edit to add:]

1/8 mile of highway? Make a wooden sled with sacrificial runners.
Find something to do that interests you.

thechknhwk

Arch up the big end and drag the little end.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Rick Alger

Borrow a tractor with a 3-point hitch. Hook up  the Logrite toward the top end of the log. Make sure it is snug and secure. Pick up the butt end of the log with the 3-point. Be careful on turns.

mike_belben

Quote from: thechknhwk on May 26, 2017, 04:23:16 AM
Arch up the big end and drag the little end.

Probably be better letting the stump end drag, since its gonna get slabbed off due to taper anyway.  Grinding down the small end might cost some bd ft.
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Not quite sure on terrain or if your getting near blacktop. ? I would wrap a chain around 1 end, attach to bucket on trackloader, other end goes in your log arch behind your wheeler, or just use the dolly on the one end and chain/bucket. We move some large culvert pipe /telephone poles /timbers sometimes with a backhoe or combination of 2 machines sometimes that will make you shake your head.

Ed_K

Get the logrite jr arch. You will have more jobs to use it on eventually.
Ed K

peterpaul

Hi Brad,

I picked up one of these 2 wheel carpet carts off of craigslist to move beams with.  Works great at moving beams by hand.  Just the other day I was thinking of strapping them to the back end of a log to move some long logs to my mill with my tractor.  1000# capacity.  Couple of ratchet straps to tighten the log down.  Just not sure how it would track.

http://www.tools4flooring.com/gundlach-427-junior-carpet-cart-p-288.html?gclid=CJ37nNKljtQCFZCLaQodSNYFGQ
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

loggah

You just need a "POLE DINKY" like the power co.uses to move telephone poles, chain the log on near the balance point and hitch the forward end on to whatever you are towing it with.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

grouch

Quote from: loggah on May 31, 2017, 06:38:40 AM
You just need a "POLE DINKY" like the power co.uses to move telephone poles, chain the log on near the balance point and hitch the forward end on to whatever you are towing it with.

Brad_bb said, "I have a logrite fetching arch and a Polaris Ranger"

Use the log arch for the pole dinky -- chained and strapped so that the front is about 100 lbs more than the back. Lag bolt a 2" coupler hitch to the underside front end of the log, hitch to the Polaris and boogy!
Find something to do that interests you.

Thank You Sponsors!