iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Wish I Had Mosquitoes

Started by Autocar, July 31, 2010, 12:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

But instead the second tree was full of honey bees, and believe it or not they were *pithed !  ;D  They were so bad that I gave up trying to cut the log off so I went and located a bee keeper. Honey was running out on the ground it was full so hopefully he can get them out next week. It started to rain so between bees and rain I called it a week.
Bill

Gary_C

You're nuts to wish for what we call the Minnesota State Bird. Bees will leave you alone if you don't mess with them but mosquitoes are sneaky b*****ds that will seek you out and get you from behind. I have even taken to putting a dish towel on my head under my hat to keep them off the back of my neck.

At least with bees you get some honey with some stings, but with mosquitoes you just get bit and then bumps that itch for your trouble.   :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

I had a colony of honey bees in the flu last fall. The comb was at the peek of the flu and some where coming down the flu, which is 40 feet to the basement floor. They would come down and exit the clean out and get trapped in the cellar steps. I was wondering where the heck the bees where coming from. I found out when I looked at the top of the flu from the ground and seen the buzzards busy up there. I put on a smudge for 2 evenings and any that still crawled at the base of the flu got a shot of Raid. I had to go up there on steep roofing and clean that honey comb out and I don't like heights too well.  >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Autocar

I cut the final trees on the job and put my bee hat on and ended up cutting 28 feet of log out. It was so big that I had to get back out of the skidder and cut the butt log lose. The bee keeper called me back and said he didn't feel that he could get to them. So maybe I will talk to the landowner and come back when it gets cooler and see if I can cut the rest of the logs out and maybe will beable to save the bee part of the tree also.
Bill

Magicman

Hope so, bees need all of the help that they can get.  I hated it when the "Beeman" from North Dakota quit Wintering bees on my tree farm.  He lost so many to some sort of disease that doesn't have enough to Winter on all of the different properties anymore.  Maybe he will build back up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Autocar

The bees around here are dying from a mite that picks up on there legs and they take thim back to the hive. So they moved the enty point of the hive from the bottom to the top but there still must be a problem with them. I haven't seen a honey bee at my place even bumble bees I haven't seen. Most people don't relize how inportant bees are.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!