iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Sandy

Started by clww, October 25, 2012, 11:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clww

Watching the updated track on Hurricane Sandy, just updated at 1100. Right now, the weather guessers are showing the track as heading right into New York on Monday at tropical storm strength. After that, it heads up the coast towards our northern friends and neighbors.
The forecasters are comparing this to the 1991 October storm that wreaked considerable damage on the eastern seaboard.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Roger2561

I don't know how the rest of you feel but it wouldn't break my heart to see that thing turn out to sea.  A storm like that we do not need.
Roger

moosehunter

My bride is pretty happy she finally has a hurricane named after her!
It looks like it may bring more rain to us than we need all at once.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Woodhauler

They are hyping sandy up to be like the storm of the century!Guess i will wait till the weekend before i get ready! May be a 2- 30 pack storm! ;DWe don't need much more rain this fall! Cold weather can't come soon enough!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Maine372

dont get too wound this weekend, might get a couple loads in monday morning before it hits.

lynde37avery

a two 30 pack storm? i hope so. i need an evening off from work lol
Detroit WHAT?

clww

Didn't "Irene" head up that way last year? I remember there was a huge mess from that small one, and this one is predicted to be worse. I hope it heads out to sea because these storms suck.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Okrafarmer

Quote from: clww on October 25, 2012, 09:04:04 PM
Didn't "Irene" head up that way last year? I remember there was a huge mess from that small one, and this one is predicted to be worse. I hope it heads out to sea because these storms suck.

We can hope Irene already tore off all the weak branches and knocked down most of the weak trees.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

bill m

If we get the rain they are forecasting I will be done till freeze up.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

clww

I hope so. What worries me is what we've seen so many times: People don't heed the warnings and wait until it's too late. Then they're stuck in their own predicament and it's past time for them to be helped.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Okrafarmer

We can hope Irene made a big enough impression on them. But it may not have made enough of an impression on some.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

clww

We shall see....
The wife is on vacation for five days, so the four of us (me, the Boss, and our two, four-legged daughters) are all going to be at the cabin through Wednesday morning.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Okrafarmer

Quote from: bill m on October 25, 2012, 09:25:07 PM
If we get the rain they are forecasting I will be done till freeze up.

Maybe Freeze-up will come early this year.  :-\

BTW, there is another thread about this.

Mooseherder

The power has been going on and off the last hour and I'm not sure if it is storm  related because it isn't even windy here.  The printer and components going on and off were enough to get the dogs nervous and wake me up so here I sit. ::)

Roxie

The new current projections show it coming ashore across the tip of southern New Jersey, hitting Delaware (where my youngest son lives) and onto southeastern Pennsylvania. 

They also said it doesn't matter where it comes ashore, because the damage will be widespread.  According to the local weather guy, we have today and tomorrow to get ready to spend Sunday and Monday and maybe Tuesday hunkered down. 

In our area, the trees are just at their autumn peak, and some are still in full leaf.  There was a tornado week before last that hit with no warning at all, and caused billions of dollars in damage. 

Buildings and roads can be repaired.  Trees will regrow.  Hopefully everyone will be safe, because that is all that really matters. 
Say when

Cypressstump

Praying for the best for you guys on the Eastern Seaboard.

News is saying this thing will turn into hurricane that pulls in a snow strom from the NW on top of things. That's a nasty combination. I am still recovering from Hurricane Issac, but from flood water, not necessarily wind damage.

Ya'll take care over there and heed the warnings given when the time comes.

Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

VT_Forestry

Newport News is in Condition 4, meaning we are checking/clearing problem culverts, verifying sandbag locations/numbers, fueling up vehicles/equipment, and finding out who can be around this weekend if needed.  Saws are sharpened, spare chains and bars stocked with them and ready to go.  Personally I've got the house stocked with food, gas for the generator, and firewood nice and dry on the porch (temps are gonna drop after this thing blows through) Hopefully I've got everything lined up and in order so I can sneak away and bow hunt tomorrow morning before it all breaks loose on us.  We'll see how it shakes out...
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

doctorb

Looks like we're gonna get wet here in Maryland.  The leaves are off the trees close to my house, so I am hoping that helps keep them upright!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

DR Buck

Hurricanes are good for the sawmill business.  ;D

Tonight I am planning on toping off all of my fuel cans and changing the generator oil.   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Cedarman

POST EDITED OUT SO THIS TOPIC CAN STAY OUT OF THE RESTRICTED TOPICS AREA.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

clww

In 1985 on Election Day, the polls in the town we were living in at the time, Goshen, VA, were 4 feet under water. We caught the tail end of a hurricane that stalled out over W.VA and the western mountains of Virginia. It started raining just before dark on Halloween and did not stop for 6 days. We didn't get to vote that year, nor did many people in the county. It was a bad time that I hope to never repeat.
Many things that have occurred in that area are dated, as "before the Flood of '85", or after.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Okrafarmer

In Maine we had the Flood of '87. But it was in the spring.  That previous winter, I dug a snow tunnel 20-30 ft. long under the surface of the snow. (being a kid then, of course).

sandhills

That was always so much fun back when we were kids wasn't it Okra?  :D  Now we have to push it around just to get everyday work done and my joints hurt at the end of the day, probably should just go back to digging tunnels and building snow forts.  Hope all of you fare well out there and it doesn't turn out to be much of a storm.

red

people stocking up stores packed long lines
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

clww

Shoot, we could start a new thread along the lines of "Things I Used To Love To Do As A Kid, But Now It's Too Much Work, or No Fun, or Now Are A Pain In The ***". :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!