iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

16 hp Vertical Kohler question.

Started by Woodchuck53, November 06, 2012, 01:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodchuck53

Morning all. I have a question about the magnets under the flywheel. The 150 Weldanpower has a pull cord. I bought a used motor for all the electric start and charge parts. The sheet metal is in good shape and it even had a new carb on it. When I eased the flywheel off the parts motor the magnets were all evenly spaced attached to the stater. Every thing looks good, no chips or broken area's. I was wondering if I can either epoxy or JB weld the magnets back to the flywheel? Any special prep other than a good sanding? Is it worth the try? Thanks guys.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

pineywoods

I have used JBweld to do exactly that. Just be sure the surfaces are clean and use a thin coat of jb..You have a 50/50 chance of getting the magnets on backwards. Some engines won't fire properly if you do that.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Woodchuck53

Thank you Piney. They are currently still in the same position that they were in when I discovered this. I'm thinking then that if I mark them and clean everything up good I should be able to put them right back in this order and be fine??? This is the first time I have seen this. I thinking regular carb cleaner or CRC would do the trick??? Any set spacing to worry about, or just try and even out by eye? I'll try this as soon as I get home. It's dad's small generator and doesn't want to spring for new parts. So I'll try this. Have a good one. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

pineywoods

With more than 1 magnet, it's most likely all electronic ignition. One magnet creates enough juice to charge up a capacitor, the next one serves as a trigger to fire the plug. Usually the 2 are opposite polarity. The gap between the magnets and the core of the stator is fairly critical, so don't use a thick layer of jbweld.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Al_Smith

If that thing is a single I rebuilt on of those monsters once .Those things have a piston that looked like it came out of a Lincoln .

Woodchuck53

Yes Al it is a single cylinder. It also has a full ring of magnets and was wondering about the spacing between them as they are glued around the inside circumference. I didn't look close enough before I left this week if there was some way of gaugeing them. I will pick up some fresh JB weld and give it a try though. Thanks guys.

Al_Smith

I can only assume those magnets might be used as the charging circuit much like a Briggs with a coil beneath the flywheel .I also assume it's a battery ignition electric start ???

Woodchuck53

Yes sir with the stator mounted I will reglue the magnets and put it back together and hopefully it will charge. The electric start will be a nice addition to a good little machine. Thanks guys, Chuck

muddstopper

The magnets must be evenly spaced for proper current generation. Also proper airgap must be maintained between the magnets and the pickup. You can use a degree wheel to measure the distance between each magnet. Just take the number of magnets on the flywheel and divide this into 360, (the number of degrees in a circle), and this will tell you how far apart, in degrees, to space the magnets. Also, the magnets should be alternated according to the polarity of the magnets. One positive, one negative, until you have all of them installed. Get one backwards and you will foul up the magnetic field needed to generate current. Epoxy is usually the glue of choice for holding the magnets in place.

Thank You Sponsors!