iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weekend of Learning

Started by Radar67, November 13, 2012, 10:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

I spent the weekend watching a Blacksmith work at her forge. She made a Roman Feeble from copper. This was the precursor to the safety pin. They were used to fasten a cloak or toga. It just happened to follow me home.

The detail she was able to achieve with a chisel and heat is just amazing.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

A very fine piece of artwork. That is something that I always enjoy watching. I doubt I could-would ever be able to do the blacksmithing,but one never knows what I might do next. By the way
QuoteI spent the weekend watching a Blacksmith work at her forge
and your title of "Weekend Of Learning" are you going to blacksmith classes?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Broadening your scope  ??? ???  Blacksmithing is an interesting art.  I have most of my Granddad's blacksmith shop/tools, but where do I find the time?   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Radar67

thecfarm, I have had an interest and a portable forge for several years. I have been so busy with other projects that I have had little time to do anything with it. We took our leather work to a Pirate Festival and she was set up. I had plenty of help, so I watched, asked questions, and learned what I could from her. If I could find a local smith and had the time, I would take classes.

Magic, I am always up for learning the old arts.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

thurlow

Quote from: Radar67 on November 13, 2012, 10:35:17 PM
I spent the weekend watching a Blacksmith work at her forge. She made a Roman Feeble from copper. This was the precursor to the safety pin. They were used to fasten a cloak or toga. It just happened to follow me home.

The detail she was able to achieve with a chisel and heat is just amazing.

Didje' get that at the Missippi   8) Agricultural and Forestry Museum "Harvest Fest"?  My niece is a sophmore at Mississippi College and I encouraged her to go, but I don't know if she made it over there or not.  Would be a long day trip, but the National Ornamental Metal Museum in Memphis has some interesting events a couple of times a year.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

Thurlow, this was in Pensacola Florida. I have been trying to get up to the MS AG Museum when they were having a blacksmith demo, but it never works out to my schedule.

Thank You Sponsors!