iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Treasures

Started by Brad_bb, September 13, 2018, 02:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Arising from this post, Found this log in the "Aged Log Pile" in Sawmills and Milling, I thought this would be an interesting thread.  Show us your Wood treasures from your log pile or found/made while milling.  I'll start off with some of my pieces.  Post your own interesting finds.

Slippery Elm healing

Walnut cone head.  Maybe the back of a viking chair??

Ash Ring.

Ash branch overgrowth

Walnut branch overgrowth

Cherry horse feet

Small tree that had grown along the creek and died.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Peter Drouin

So what do you do with all the [picese] of wood you save? do you have a place or corner you pile it up inside? Do you sell it?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

btulloh

Peter, that is entirely beside the point!  :o  Pragmatism is not required!  
HM126

Brad_bb

I suppose you could sell, but I'm just waiting until I have time to do small projects again.  When inspiration hits....   The over growth branch knots I can use in a drywall/plaster wall to look like it's growing out of the wall.  I actually have a pile of special large slabs I've saved with really interesting looks (debarked and polished of course) that I'll incorporate into the walls of a house.  It'll look like the house was built around the trees or they are growing into the house.  In a few years I'll be able to show that.  The walnut cone head I can see as the back of a special chair using some more branches but that part is the top of the back.  I see the small tree base from the creek as a lamp base.  The hose feet...I'll have to come up with a good one for that yet.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: btulloh on September 13, 2018, 08:00:53 AM
Peter, that is entirely beside the point!  :o  Pragmatism is not required!  

your right, I do have too much common cense. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Weekend_Sawyer

I had this cherry knot sitting on my bench for a couple of years. I sanded it and finished it in 2 part epoxy. I think it looks like a cross section of a dinosaur egg.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

goose63

Found this when out cutting fire wood

Not big enough to saw but might make a hat rack
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Jeff

So, what's this four? ;)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rjwoelk

Its there four a while, till you need it four abit and use it four what its four.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Don P

Quote from: Brad_bb on September 13, 2018, 11:05:05 AM
 The hose feet...I'll have to come up with a good one for that yet.
Screw em to the wall in the tack room in the barn, easier on leather than a puny peg.

bags

I find snakes in my Aspen.

WDH

Ole pragmatic Peter.  He never saw a knot that he liked :D.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rjwoelk

That is one cool log Bags. should be worth 1 gu.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Magicman

My sawmilling business is Knothole Sawmill:

So when I spotted these two "knotholes" in Colorado, I had to collect them.

This old rootball is still there where we found it.

But it shared a few mementos that serve their purpose at the Cabin.

This guy is still overlooking a beautiful canyon in Colorado.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on September 13, 2018, 08:34:54 PM
Ole pragmatic Peter.  He never saw a knot that he liked :D.  

Some of the things I see like that over the years are cool. But, I don't save them. After a while, you will have a pile of them to trip over, move 20+ times, And they don't sell. Kinda like a raven picking up shiny things to bring to the nest. :D
Or having a pet rock. I'll pass. ;)

A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

I think we found the Forum Scrooge.

Roxie

I've got one wood treasure (for most of us, or piece of trash for Peter) that I am so glad that I picked up and hauled home. 

In 1986, my husband, my sons and myself took a weekend camping trip to Assateague Island in Virginia.  On our final day and our last stroll down the beach we found a unique looking piece of driftwood.  My husband would pass unexpectedly, but that memory driftwood has lain under my bay window among the rocks and corral bells to this day. 

Brad, great idea for a thread.  I'm really enjoying looking at what other's have found.  So far, member bags and Weekend Sawyer have dropped my jaw, and Jeff's four tickles me silly. 

Say when

Magicman

Here is another "treasure" that I have but the source is more important than the actual cookie. 

This picture is of Windsor Castle ruins before it was turned over to the Park Service for preservation.  Portions of the movie "Raintree County" were filmed here starring Elizabeth Taylor.   Now back to the cookie.  Cedar trees had sprouted and were growing in the column tops and their roots were slowly destroying the ornate ironwork.  The trees were removed and I salvaged the only tree trunk that did not go into the dump truck for disposal.  I cut and gave cookies to all of the family members that Christmas.

That cookie was over 75 years old.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Here are a few things I used to be tripping over, or that I still am tripping over.  Sometimes tripping over one, falling, and hitting your head will give you the inspiration to create something unique out of it.

Brad_bb

Some really unique pieces you have there Jeff, and some creative uses too.

I really like everybody's submissions!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Jeff on September 14, 2018, 08:20:09 AM
I think we found the Forum Scrooge.

That's me, I can get stuff like that Jeff in my backyard by the truck full. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

shenandoahsawmill

Here is a cherry knot that I set in the sun and this piece of what looks like brains popped out when it dried.

shenandoahsawmill

Couple more pieces of "wood treasures" 

Brad_bb

At least somebody around here has a brain Shenandoahsawmill, and some other things too!  But seriously, you have an artist's eye.

Thank You Sponsors!