iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ground Hog Stuff . . . .

Started by TexasTimbers, February 02, 2007, 07:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I just seen on Imus a few minutes ago where a bunch of silly fellers dressed up in Abe Lincoln outfits, in Punxtatawney - ain't sure about the spelling - sure as heck ain't sure about the pronunciation, were readin some proclomation from a scroll and talkin about some important rodent I guess.
i just caught the end of it really but it sure did look all important and serious like. I hope tyhat ground hog will throw some springtime weather down my way we had snow yesterday, then freezing rain, and now ice.
Boys we need us a Southern Ground Hog racket like they got up north.
I think I will dress up like old Abe and grab me an Armadillo and ask him if he seen his shadow this mnorning.

I don't know what the answer is supposed to be. I think if he sees his shadow we have another ice age coming or soemthing. I am gonna bee holding him by the neck nice and snug when I ask. . . . . . . .
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

thurlow

In tribute, we should probably watch Bill Murray's groundhog movie.  8)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

TexasTimbers

If Furby were watchin right now he would respond something like this:

"Hey kevjay in case you didn't notice, Armadillos don't have necks.  ::)"   

:D

woodmills1

its

punks   a    tawn   ey

:P :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

isawlogs

Up here if the Groung Hog dont give ya the answer you like , ya put um into the roasting pan ... Can you do the same with an Armadilo  ???

Anybody here yet if I need to throw mine in the pan ... We have had a mild very mild winter so far , not much snow to speak of . I have not even been able to take my snowmobile out for a ride .  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

TexasTimbers

Quote from: isawlogs on February 02, 2007, 08:33:52 AM
  Anybody here yet if I need to throw mine in the pan ... We have had a mild very mild winter so far , not much snow to speak of . I have not even been able to take my snowmobile out for a ride . :-\
You should go on vacation to Mexico. they have been getting snow in areas they never get it.

tcsmpsi

Well, DanG...by the title of the thread, thought we was going to be talking 'bout sausage.   >:(

'Course, if'n the little bugger came out and 'said' we would be looking at more winter weather, might be talking about sausage anyhow.   

:D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

DWM II

Its all just a bunch of ground hogwash!!! :D

I figure those fellas in the neat suits look at the farmers almanac then step out with this grand proclamation
Stewardship Counts!

Furby

No Kev, what I would say is that "Groundhog Day" is airing several times today on the comedy channel......... wonder why. ::)

DanG

We got our own prognosticator down here.  They tell me the Wassau Possum saw his shadow this morning.  Musta been from the teevee lights, though, 'cause the Sun shore ain't been out!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

We're going to be sending some colder air down come Monday. ;D

No snow here yet today, suppose see a little skiff I guess. Was 34 °F around 2:00 pm. ;D Most of the 10 inches we had in January sunk or went in that big wind ya seen in Oz, 'cause the fields would tear the bed out of a ski-doo. Was walking out in the woods, seen where a goshawk ripped apart a grouse and the coyotes was barking off in the distance, sounded like 3. Oh, and I seen 2 other grouse budding in the yellow birch catkins. ;D Lots of moose sign rummaging around in the plantations.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SPIKER

I haven't hear yet if we are still calling that critter, a GROUND HOG or GROUND CHUCK :D :o

Usually it depends on his answer to winter staying or going  :D ;D

All I can say that those little things ain't got a lot of meat on em but for being vegetarians they sure are greasy buggers. ??? ??? ???

Mark M

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

How come I don't see ground hogs/wood chucks in the wild forest only around farms? Is it introduced here?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

We call them critters wood chucks around here.Now swampdonkey,you must know woodchucks eat mostly green stuff.They really enjoy the clover at my place.I have seen very few in the woods.I have one that lives in a pile of big rocks on the edge of the woods.I will get him some day.My dog has a fit when he goes down there.I have torn apart stones walls so my dog could get at what he barks at.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

ohsoloco

A little farther east of here people just call Punxsutawney "Punk-see"  :D  I just head on the news this afternoon that several other states have weather forecasting groundhogs.  Can't remember the buggers' names, but Ohio and Georgia have 'em now.

I'm still going with what all of the wooly bears told me this year (and I saw more of them this year than I have in a long time).  They all had big brown sections on the ends, with a little black in the middle.  Guess we're in the black right now  :)

Cedarman

As a side note, my grandfather was born on this date in 1874.
My son Aaron was born in Sept 1974 in Punxsutawney Pa. We left in Nov of that year for Venezuela.

Yeehaa, spring is coming early.  No shadow. 8) 8)
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

LeeB

What did you do in Venezuela? LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

hiya

I think if you looked at this forcast in the past you will see that if he doesn't see his shadow, spring will be here in 6 weeks, if he sees his shadow, spring will take 1 and 1/2 month. :o ;D
Richard
RichardinMd.

Cedarman

LeeB,  I worked as an electrical oil well logging engineer for Schlumberger Well Services. Spent 2 months working on Lake Maracaibo and then went over to Trinidad for 1 1/2 years.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Faron

Ground hogs used to be a major problem around here.  They just love soybeans.  It was about impossible to grow much around field edges where they could build burrows.  Lots of non farmers hunted them recreationally and seemed to make little difference.  One summer my brother made sure 157 of them never saw their shadow. ;)  In the early 80's coyotes migrated to this area and established a large population.  In a few years they almost wiped out the groundhog population.  I have gone several summers and only saw one or two groundhogs  all summer.  Now the groundhogs seem to have adapted to the predators and are making a comeback.  We had a colony in a pile of old metal last summer that ate the end rows off a bean field about 50 yards in either direction. >:(  Looks like we might have to dust off the old .243 next summer. 
It is 11 degrees right now and the wind is blowing. splitwood_smiley  Reckon when ol' Phil's prediction is due to kick in? ::)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

scgargoyle

Judging from the number of Snowbirds around here, I'd say Canada was going to have a late Spring! :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

SwampDonkey

As I said before, ya gotta leave the coyotes and foxes alone if you want to control them nuisance critters. Too bad if we loose a few house cats, we got too many of them to. ;D I heard 3 'yotes howling yesterday when walking the woodlot, a welcomed tune to my ears. ;D

SPIKER

ya Ohio has their own critter & I believe he is called "BUCKEYE CHUCK"

back in the 70's and early 80's there was a HUGE population of chucks all over our area farmers had huge patches of fields ate all down. so my brother and I and a couple friends started up a .22 chuck elimination  for some thing to do.   I know we went through 1000 round boxes of ammo several times a month.   lots of plinking but 1/2 or better was used for chucks. after a few years it was sure evident we made a dent in the population.   I remember being able to catch them there were so many.   after a few years we had to move farther out for hunting them and actually had a few farmers ask up to come hunt em down provided all the .22 ammo we wanted ;)  8)   we hunted chucks day light to dark walking rail roads & farm paths as well as stream beds ect.   usually took water in a canteen & some food, or would cook a fish and or some other critter which seems like it should be eatable.   We took fish pole along often if we were heading towards the river or the muck/swampy areas. 
My brother still has his .22, single shot bolt action it's a custom made Remington with nickel steel barrel gun.   (he paid 35 bucks for it from a kid we knew who's uncle who was a machinist for Remington & made it for the kid!)   it has a rolled 36" barrel which I know shot 20000+ shells through it.  back then it would explode a 2x4 with hollow points the hard way, drop a chuck at 150~200 yards.   Now I can make fun of him as he still shoots it but his accuracy is about 1 chuck to 20 shots where as it was more like 19 chucks per 20 shots back in the day... :D ;D   I'm sure a good bit of it is the gun is pretty much worn out shooting so much but I can make a fair assessment that it has stopped a good 4000~5000 wood chucks dead over the last 30+ years.   When I bought my place it wasn't hunted for over 40 years, and was over run with chucks, I picked up a 10-22 and called my brother in the first year I know I dropped over 50 easy and he got 20~30 or so (he wasn't there often)   I like the 10-22 as the shot doesn't carry all that well but is great for 20~50 yard sots.  The terrain is not great for far shots any how on my place so I wanted a short gun with limited power.   

Anyhow I think I got off the topic a bit.   I also noticed that the wood chucks now a days don't whistle like they used to.  we could call out a warning whistle to them and see 20+ stand up on the edge of a field back then (best was the rail road which sat 20+ feet up above most of rest of the fields & such)  walk the tracks and had a lot of old RR ties dumped along them which could hold a ton of the chucks.

I remember last year Dick Goddard did a story about them back in the day a very common name was "Whistle Pigs" due to the noise they made.   it was easy to mimic it to get them to stand up and make for a quick shot.   As it turned out the ones who used the whistle as a defensive alert call were pretty much wiped out.  and the whistle alert went with them.   now it is very UNCOMMON to hear one alert out like this.

ok anyhow have fun, and watch out for chuck holes as it is easy to cause tractor, leg or farm animal/live stock damage due to the holes.

mark M

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

thecfarm

Yours must be a kin of the ones I have around here.The whistle trick will still work on the ones around here.I was and am not that good of a shot,but I can sure trap them devils.I have a brother that could shot them at a good 100 yards.We never had the amount that you have.We could keep them under control with 10-20 a summer.Probaly around 10 in more like it.I get 2-3 a year now.They really like the highways around here.Nothing to bother them.Had the SIL bring up one of his rifles to shoot one me and the dog could not get.Had to shot him from almost inside the house,he was a smart one.If anyone stepped of the front steps he was gone into the stone wall.This was 400 feet away and downhill at that.I let the dog go down and chew on him for awhile.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!