iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What would you do if it was your dog?

Started by Fredh, February 25, 2009, 09:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredh

I don't know if this fits on the General Board, but here goes......

My field springer, Buffett (as in Jimmy Buffett!), 7 years old,  came up lame in one of his hind legs last week after after a trek through the bush.  He's in good shape and would make a great outfielder for any ball team. The vet's diagnosis is a torn knee ligament which can only be repaired with surgery, 80% success rate, and 2 months of 'no running or jumping' recovery period.

Now, any of you that have springer spaniels will know that to keep him from 'running and jumping' for more that 2 hours, let alone 2 months, is almost impossible, and certainly no fun for the dog.

So I'm torn (pardon the pun!).  Is it better to put the dog through surgery and 2 months of agony or let him run lame and manage any pain through meds?

Anybody have any experience with torn knee ligaments in the dog?

fred

Woodwalker

Can't speak for the dog, but my knee hurt like......., well pretty bad. I got it worked on.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

ohsoloco

My 5 year old lab mix has been having a problem with her left rear leg since last spring  :(  The vet was thinking it was soft tissue damage in a couple of her toes, but I haven't gotten a real definitive answer.  Had her hips x-rayed and tested for lyme disease (I have her vaccinated but you never know).

She favors her one leg so much that her right leg is about 50% bigger, and very muscular compared to the left one.  Thing is, she won't think twice (or at all for that matter  ;) ) about running, jumping, etc.  Breaks my heart to see her like that, but she gets along okay.  Tried an aspirin but it made her sick, so I've been giving her two baby aspirin on a full stomach.  Vet doesn't want to put her on anti-inflammatory pills cuz she'll think she's better, and end up doing more damage.  

This probably doesn't help much, but my pup is doing alright ....not sure about when she gets older though  :-\

logwalker

I had a Springer female for 14 years so I know your pain on this one. How about a second opinion? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

scsmith42

Fred, according to my wife (she's a Vet), she would recommend the surgery.  At 7 years, your dog should still have a lot of quality of life in front of it.  We actually had this same surgery performed on one of our dogs knees (cruciate ligament); when the second one went we opted not to do it because he was so arthritic in his other joints. 

If you don't do the surgery, anticipate severe arthritis in the joint within a few years (which you may see anyway).

Also, whether you do the surgery or not, expect the same ligament to go out on the other knee in about a year.

Regarding recovery, she recommended that you invest in a large crate, and keep your dog crated as much as possible during recovery.

Regards,

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

My bloodhound had a torn knee ligament.  After the surgery, she got to the point that she could use her leg about 80%.  Unfortunately, she only lasted about 9 months before she went down permanently.  She was 10 years old which is old for a bloodhound.  I don't regret having the surgery because she was with me for 9 more months.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

SwampDonkey

Don't use aspirin on your dogs guys, that's like poison to a dog. If it were me, and I would feel just as attached to a dog as anyone in here, I would put the dog down if I see it really struggling.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

We had a Doberman that underwent the operation.  Had to keep him in a cage for 6 weeks all the time.  The only time he got out was to the potty...and I had to carry him down the steps for the first couple of weeks.  The operation was a success and Max lived a long quality life afterwards.

The operation was expensive and if I had not been retired would not have been possible.  The pain for Max was too severe without the operation and he would have had to be put down.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

moosehunter

I have a Springer also. He's my forth Springer not counting the puppies we had and sold. I've always said if he needs major surgery I'd put him down, but the truth is I'd probubly sell my truck and walk to work if I had to ;)

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

metalspinner

We have a lab mix - Maddi  - that's been diagnosed with the same torn ligament.  She has been hobbling around here waiting for us to be able to afford the surgery.  She is 12 years old and (no offense to anyone else with a dog) is the greatest dog in the world. ;)  Her mobility is way down, but her spirit is still high.  I think I will call the university vet hospital for a second diagnosis. They might also have a lower cost on the operation. 

To try and stem the guilt I have of not being able to take care of the injury, she gets an extra rub down or two each day. ;)

Here she is posing with a big red oak burl... :)

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

chevytaHOE5674

Have a spaniel that tore a knee ligament at year 3 or 4, and had the surgery. Now she is 14 and still gets around, just a little stiff with arthritis. 

I didn't even think twice about the surgery, the dogs are like kids to me.

Fredh

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Our dogs are absolutely like family, and generally I find they perform a lot better than some family members!  That's why we always want to do the right thing for the dog, not for us.

I'll let you know what I decide and how it turns out.  If I can figure out how to insert a picture, I'll send one.
fred

IMERC

NOTICE TO PEOPLE THAT VISIT MY HOME....
1. The dog lives here you don't.
2. If you don't want dog hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture.
3. Yes he has some disgusting habits and so do you. What is your point?
4. OF COURSE HE SMELLS like a dog. What is your point?
5. It's his nature to sniff your crotch. Please feel free to sniff his.
6. I like him a lot better than I like most people.
7. To you he is a dog. To me he is my adopted son, who is short, hairy, walks on all fours, doesn't speak clearly and I do not have a problem with any of these things.
8. Dogs are better than kids:
They eat less.
Don't ask for money all of the time.
Easier to train, hence mind better.
Usually comes when called.
Never drive the truck or car.
Don't hang out with drug-using friends.
Don't worry about having the latest fashions.
Don't wear my clothes.
Don't need a gazzillion dollars for college.
9. Same applies to the cat, except it will ignore you... until you are asleep.
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

jim king

jim king

It he were my dog I would put him in a cast for six weeks.  If it doesnt work he will have a limp or walk on three legs.  Over many years here in the Amazon we have had a few three legged dogs and many with broken faces , legs, teeth hanging out etc..  One thing they generally have in common is they never come with hair but a good supply of worms and fleas.

We have about 65 street dogs now in the factories and a full time cook and groomer for them.  Sounds bad but for a few kilos of chicken parts and rice and flavoring and a groomer all for $25 a day we have NO theft.  They pay for themselves 10 times over as if that was part of the deal.  My wife simply could not live without them.

What would your wife do with you if you had a stiff leg or worse one that didnt work.  Help the poor dog.  The photos are of a couple of before and afters.

caz

Our Family has a 5 yr old gray hound,lab border collie mix.

She has had both knees done and is now about 80% yes its expensive but she is family and there is no way I could stand to see her in so much pain.

Could I afford it no did I pay it yes (plastic) I'll work it off just like eveything else.

We are lucky to have a local vet who specializes in this very thing.

Do it now, you won't regret it .                   good luck

RynSmith

Metalspinner - and anyone else near a university with a vet school - definitely check with them.  My lab got steel plates for hips from MSU many years ago and it cost half as much as it would've from a private vet.  They use it as a teaching example and then the students do the follow up care until the dog is ready to come home.  I could tell the students treated her really well and actually cared about the outcome.

WDH

When Scarlet had her surgery, it was $800 at the Vets using the standard procedure.  Or, I could have taken her to Auburn University or UGA where they groove a slot in the leg bone for the ligament.  That procedure was $2500.  I opted for the standard procedure because of her age and the fact that her hips were in poor shape. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Reddog

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 26, 2009, 05:20:41 AM
Don't use aspirin on your dogs guys, that's like poison to a dog.

Swamp, You want to tell my Vet he is wrong for prescribing aspirin?

I beg to differ, it is safe for dogs. You just need to have the right dosing. It can cause some of the same problems in dogs as it does in humans, stomach issues. Do a google search on aspirin for dogs, Much good advice from Vets.

Fredh, From what I have seen the surgery is worth it. Most dogs seem to respond well to it.
scsmith42 covered it well.

cheyenne

Do the surgery, put a cast on it & keep him in a crate for rehab. It's the right thing to do.....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

SwampDonkey

I've been told by vets a number of times not the feed aspirin to dogs, that's all I know on it. That's been a few years ago, before internet. I haven't had a dog for over 20 years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

Our Samantha dog a now 8 year old Lab/Springer mix  ???/ pound puppy  ;D :) had the ligament surgery just about a year ago.  Cost a grand but it was worth it.  She limped and was lame for a few months but seldom shows any signs of the incident now.  Our vet has recommended aspirin for our dogs too.  Acetaminophen however is poisonous to dogs. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Our old Syney dog, who we had to finally put down in his 18th year, started having some problems getting around when he was about 12. We gave him a buffered aspirin almost everyday for the rest of his life. Over 6 years.  We could always tell when we forgot the aspirin for a time, as he would start having trouble getting around again. The aspirin is what gave him quality of live. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Jim,what king of dog is in the bottom Picture?

Here's my golden retriever and Scottish terrier.Your dog looks bigger.Mine is only 25 pounds.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!