iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beetle's Barn

Started by beetle, June 28, 2005, 08:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beetle

Well, after 1 year of learning a whole lot from you good folks here on this site, making a few "live and learns", sratching my head, chipping away on timbers, we are getting close. I want to start this thread to show our progress. I will be adding pictures a little at a time.

Day number 1; bringing home the first load.

Too many hobbies...not enough time.

jph

Great photos, I look forward to the day I bring the first load home for my new barn. How much do you think that load ways?
John

beetle

Showing the old man how it is done.

tnlogger

beetle good looking timbers thar and looks like you got a chip of the old block there to start um out working and they'll alway work.
gene

JoeyLowe

Hey Beetle:

Looks like you are off to a good start there.  Good luck!

Joey
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

SwampDonkey

beetle,

Looks like ya have a couple of real keaners to help out in your project. We'll all be watching your progress.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ernie

Beetle

How long did it take the "Helpers" to off load the trailer, They look keen enough to have tried ;)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

beetle

Again showing the old guy how it is done. He does more than try, he is learning right along with dad.

beetle

These are the only tools used so far in cutting all joints for our Barn, no power tools have been used, all vintage except for the tape.

Here is a shot of the posts that have been cut, a few are missing due to being fitted to the tie beam I am currently working on.

Here I am fitting one of the 4"x6" Oak corner braces to the tie beam. These tie's are 8"x10"x24 foot.

More to come later.

submarinesailor

Looking real good. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Bruce

tnlogger

sure is nice to see a plan come togather  8) 8) 8) 8)
gene

beetle

Speaking of plans..I should have put this at the beginning. The plan, 24'x36' story and a half with lofts, all White Pine excluding outer braces which are white Oak. I trust the draftman does not mind me posting this drawing  ::)

Fitting a Queen to the Tie beam.

Finally after 16 months we start to see something  8). This shot is a complete bent that I am fitting up, it includes a Queen. Notice the center posts have not been cut to lenght yet. These will sit on old foundation stone removed from a 100 year + old barn, I cannot cut them to lenght untill the stones are set and I know their elevation.

A shot of a Queen straining beam joint.

A shot of a Tie joint.

Another Tie joint shot.

Another shot of a bent as I am fitting up.

More later.

SwampDonkey

8) 8) 8) Way to go beetle :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Greg

Very nice work Beetle! Glad to see your young uns involved too ;-)

I noticed you said your outer braces were white oak, everything else white pine. Any particular reason for using oak braces on the outside? Strength?

I've heard/read it can be a problem to use hardwood braces in softwood posts, as the hardwood brace could in theory twist, tearing out the weaker wood from the brace mortise. I find this difficult to imagine, but thought I'd pass it on.

Do you have a raising day in mind? If you are interested, I might be able to offer some of my (mostly) unskilled labor later this month... I've got plenty experience cutting joinery but not so much with rigging/raising/assembly.

As I recall your in eastern Ohio, right? Let me know,

Greg

beetle

Greg,

Regarding mixing hard wood braces with soft wood posts, honestly, I do not know. I have not heard or read that??

Can anyone comment? If I should change these outer braces, nows the time to know before she goes up.

Jim_Rogers

There is no problem that I've ever heard of, in mixing species, in the same frame.
Jack Sobon's home has as many as 20 different types of wood in it.
The problem can be that they shrink at different rates and different amounts, so you have to compensate for the shrinkage in cutting your joints.
If brace stock is cut from straight grained oak logs, that is with out any spiral or weird grain, then they should be ok.
Wood is strong in compression and that is the job of the brace.
Most engineering calculations of frames don't take into account any vertical load being transferred down a brace from the tie to the post.
The braces' job is to stop racking from side to side caused by wind load on a wall surface. Because the wind can blow from different directions is why they have to be put in a frame design in pairs and opposite each other.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beetle

The Oak was milled 11 months ago, cut into braces 9-10 months. Still straight and true as the day they were cut, so I believe if they were going to twist and take off they would have done so by now.

I made the decision to use Oak on the four corners and the outside post/Tie of the interior bents to add a little more strenght, the White Pine is great to work, however, it is light.

I have one Tie Beam yet to cut (I still need a new one if someone here in Ohio can help) and the plates, and she is done!! Except for raising of coarse.

JoeyLowe

Beetle:

That is one fine looking frame there.  Good luck!
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

UNCLEBUCK

That is a excellent tool collection you have and a great start to a beautiful home . Fantastic job you have done ! I really like it ! Great pictures too !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

beetle

The picture of the tools are just the ones I put to work. My collection has actually grown to "too many"  ;D That is what my wife say's anyway. I think I am up to around 25 + saws now, I see a old Disston or Atkins etc; I just cannot pass em up ::)

You fine tune them old tools and put them to work for what they were made for and they do good things.

Greg

Quote from: beetle on July 09, 2005, 09:41:55 PM
The Oak was milled 11 months ago, cut into braces 9-10 months. Still straight and true as the day they were cut, so I believe if they were going to twist and take off they would have done so by now.

I made the decision to use Oak on the four corners and the outside post/Tie of the interior bents to add a little more strenght, the White Pine is great to work, however, it is light.

I have one Tie Beam yet to cut (I still need a new one if someone here in Ohio can help) and the plates, and she is done!! Except for raising of coarse.

I agree with Jim, mixing species in general is not a problem. The only problem I've heard of is the one I mentioned.

I'm not sure oak vs pine braces will make much difference, as Jim said they work in compression, in pairs to resist racking.

If your oak braces were cut that long ago, and there still nice and straight, I'd say you have nothing to worry about, ignore my comment!

Greg

beetle

After two years we are almost there..

Raising day October 8, 2005.  8)

Stay tuned, and lets hope it all fits?  ???

beetle

Crane company called last night and CANCELED   >:(  Raising day delayed 1 week, weather permiting. Probably a blessing, the extra time is welcomed and its raining outside  :(.

Jeff

This will give you time to assign an official photographer!  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

hayton1960

Hi beetle :)
I just felt your excitement on reading the first post-after 2 years we are almost there, then felt your disapointment reading about the crane company having to cancel. You never know when they come next week they might decide to offer a little "extra discount" for the inconvenience having to "reorganise the crew" and everything?! ;) (Unless they cancelleddue to weather?) Anyway Lets hope and pray it all goes smoothly (and safely). You seem like a well organised bloke so I expect you are well prepared. I for one am very much looking forward to seeing the photos/video? Good luck mate,
cheers Jonathan smiley_thumbsup
PS are you going to carve 2005 on one of the beams?

Thank You Sponsors!