iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TF books for my library...

Started by Thehardway, October 20, 2005, 10:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thehardway

I have composed a list of many in-print and out-of-print books that I have found reference to on web-based booksellers.  If any of you could comment briefly on any of these books you have read and how relative they are to timberframing
it would be useful to those of us building our knowledge of the trade as well as our libraries.  There is nothing more annoying than paying good money for a book a then finding it contains little or nothing
relevant to the desired topic.  Thanks for your help.

Notches of All Kinds: a Book of Timber Joinery
by Mackie, B. Allan

Wood and Wood Joints: Building Traditions of Europe and Japan
by Zwerger, Klaus

Carpentry and Joinery Work
by Burbank, Nelson L.

Timber Designer's Manual
by Ozelton, E. C., and Baird, J. A.

Modern timber design.
by Hansen, Howard James

Practical Design of Structural Elements in Timber
by Bull, John W.

Timber Design Manual
by Laminated Timber Institute Of Canada

Cruck Buildings: an Opinion as to Their Origin and Dating Arising From a Study of Existing and Recently Demolished Cruck Buildin...
by Bunker, B.

An introduction to timber engineering 
by Andrews, H. J.

Low Cost Green Lumber Construction
by Seddon, Leigh

Art of Japanese Joinery
by Sieke, Kiyosi, and Seike, Kiyosi, and Davis, Rebecca (Translated by)

Building the Timber Frame House: The Revival of a Forgotten Craft
by Benson, Tedd, and Gruber, James

The Timber Framing Book
by Elliott, Stewart; Wallas, Eugenie

The Complete Japanese Joinery
by Nakahara, Yasuo, and Sato, Hideo

English Historic Carpentry
by Cecil Alec Hewett   ISBN: 0941936414

Circular Work in Carpentry and Joinery
by George Collings

The Steel Square: A Practical Treatise; On the Application of the Steel Square, Containing an Exhaustive Collection of Problems and Solu
by Hodgson, Frederick T.

Modern Practical Joinery   
by Ellis, George

Hand Hewn
by Leitch, William C, and Chronicle Books LLC

Japanese Joinery
by Nakahara, Yasuo, and Nii, Paul (Translated by), and Nii, Koichi P (Translated by)

Japanese Joinery: a Handbook for Joiners and Carpenters
by Nakahara, Yasuo

Ancient carpenters' tools, illustrated and explained, together with the implements of the lumberman, joiner, and cabinet maker in use in the eighteenth century.  more books like this
by Mercer, Henry Chapman

The Genius of Japanese Carpentry. an Account of a Temple's Construction
by Brown, S. Azby

Heavy timber construction
by Oberg, Fred R.

Rough Carpentry Illustrated
by Williams, Robert; Williams, Elizabeth

Tools, Steel Square, Joinery 
by Ball, John E.

Timber Construction Manual
by Desurvire, Emmanuel, and American Institute of Timber Construction (Creator)

Encyclopedia of Timber Framing 
by Underhill, Rod (Designer), and Sutcliffe, G Lister (Editor)

The Design and Practice of Joinery
by Eastwick-Field, John. And John, Stillman

Carpentry and Joinery Volume 3 
by Porter, Brian, and Butterworth-Heinemann (Creator)

Timber, Joinery and Applied Ironmongery
by Guild Of Architectural Ironmongers

How to Make Carpentry Tools: An Illustrated Manual (Revised) 
by Moore, Aaron, and Sithole, Musaemura 

Structural recommendations for timber frame housing 
by Timber Research and Development Association

Manual of timber frame housing : a simplified method 
by National Building Agency, and Timber Research and Development Association

Conservation of Timber Buildings
by F.W.B. Charles; Mary Charles (Editor)

Carpenters' tools, their care and maintenance; a practical book covering many kinds of carpenters' tools, showing how to sharpen and use them, giving the apprentice expert advice on selecting tools for his kit.
by Siegele, H. H.

The Carpenter and Joiner's Assistant Containing Practical Rules...
by Nicholson Peter

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

ohsoloco

The only book on that list that I own is "Building The Timber Frame House: Revival of a Forgotten Craft" by Tedd Benson.  I actually have two of his books, and if this is the one I'm thinking it is, it's a good book.  It has a lot of explanations and illustrations on laying out and cutting different types of joints.  Good reading  :)

Jim_Rogers

I have posted my reading list several times, I think.

You can compare your list to my list and see my comments about these books that I've read.

I haven't read any on the Japanese style of timber framing so I can't comment on those.

Some of the ones you've listed look interesting, but I don't know if they apply to "timber framing" as I understand it.

I'd have to open them up at a book store before I'd lay down cash for one that not about my style of timber framing.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

mark davidson

hewitt and benson... don't doubt it, both great books
you should have at least one of Jack Sobon's books if you are interested in historic North American stuff...
Jim - where is your reading list???
the topic "Tools for Timber Framing List" would a great place to paste it in...

Furby

Raphael

The TF Guild publications "Timber Frame Joinery and Design", Volumes 1 & 2 are a great resource.
Both are available through the Guild's online store at http://store.yahoo.com/tfguild

The core of my house was cut almost verbatum from Jack Sobon's "Build a Classic Timber-Framed House" with a little influence from "Building The Timber Frame House: Revival of a Forgotten Craft" by Tedd Benson.

Jack's first two books are an excellent introduction to Timber Framing as each takes you through the cutting of an entire structure.  "Timber Frame Construction; All about Post-and-Beam Building" gives a somewhat broader overview and has a good starter project; the Garden Toolshed.

... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thehardway

As always thanks for the replies.  My current holdings include:

The Timber-frame Home  Benson
Timberframe Benson
Build a Classic Timber-framed House  Sobon
Complete guide to building Log Homes  Burch
Audels Carpenters and builders Guides Vol. 1-4 (1946)

All of these books contain useful info.  The Audel's is perhaps the most comprehensive covering numerous types of joints, framing, use of tools, care of tools, types of wood, tables techniques etc.  I consider them a bargain having paid only 4.00 + s&h on ebay.

Although the Sobon and Benson books have much valuable info in them they tend to spend a lot of ink extolling the history and virtues of timberframing as opposed to practical knowledge and techniques. 

For this reason I am looking for older books (many now out of print) that assume timberframing as the standard and concentrate on tools, design and technique.  Most of the above books were found by a search at Alibris and can be had for 5.00-30.00 depending on the rarity.

Call me crazy but I like the way the older books are illustrated and the plates and lithos in them.  The writing is more technical as well.  I intend to follow up on many of the TF Guild Bibliography books and purchase the design guides.

I also like books that explain primitive techniques for things like felling, hewing, preserving, drying, erecting gin poles, primitive "engines" and machinery in building, masonry, finish carpentry etc.

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Raphael

Quote from: Thehardway on October 25, 2005, 10:17:53 PM
I also like books that explain primitive techniques for things like felling, hewing, preserving, drying, erecting gin poles, primitive "engines" and machinery in building, masonry, finish carpentry etc.

You may like Jack Sobon's "Timber Frame Construction", he covers selection of trees, hewing and raising (Gin Poles, dereks, windlasses, etc.); mostly in overview.
  As you point out most modern books are edited for broad appeal and the true nuts and bolts are squirreled away in trade journals and guild publications.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Jim Haslip

Both of these links lead to some good interesting stuff:

http://www.tfguild.org/joinery/joinery.html

http://www.tfguild.org/publications/historictrusses.html

You will have to download and print them as they are pdf's on the TFG Site, but excellent reading. The Historic Trusses collection is also available as a puchase from their store. www.tfguild.org

I wish they would publish the Joinery one as well.

Jim_Rogers

Jim:
You can buy it.
It's under publications.
Here is the link to the page:
Click here for link to page at TFG online store
I got my copy signed by the author many years ago.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!