iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harmonic balancer repair

Started by longtime lurker, March 04, 2015, 03:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

Okay guys, does anyone know anyone,  anywhere  who bonds harmonic balances?

I've got this dirty great old UE600 Leyland diesel in one of the log loaders and the (50 year old) balancer has had the rubber bond between the two halves let go. Can't get a replacement part, and the only guys who might fix it here want $2500 to rebond it. I told them where they could go with that.

Wife will be in the states next month so freight isn't an issue, but knowing where to send it is.

The alternate if I can't find a more reasonable repairer is a repower, and just at the moment I don't want to go there.

So if you can recommend someone I'd appreciate it.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

sprucebunny

A search turned up this website but I don't see a physical address and there is a 40 pound weight limit but it might be helpful... http://hbrepair.com

After reading it, I might be looking for some serious rubber 'goop' like they install windshields with and try it myself but I really don't have any idea how much abuse a harmonic balancer recieves....

I do know that 3M 5200 adhesive is almost forever but I don't know about heat.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ford_man

At that price I would be looking for a salvage yard.

Gearbox

If you can't find one anywhere I would save the hub and have it machined and bore a press fit sleave or pully and run it till the crank brakes then repower . Who knows it could run for years . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

scsmith42

Before you do anything you need to determine if the engine is internally or externally balanced.  Externally balanced engines have a weight cast into the harmonic balancer, and if it is reassembled and the pieces not properly aligned you will most likely end up with a broken crankshaft.

If it were me, I would determine what thickness of rubber was required and see about pressing the two pieces back together myself.  If the balancer was 2" thick, I would obtain some 3" rubber so that one end could serve as a "funnel" to press it back together.

This shouldn't be that hard.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

so il logger

I seen something like this happen before, on a 1994 jd 540e. The outter piece that almost looked like a pulley broke loose from the center part, it was held together with rubber as well. It had hole's drilled in it to balance it would be my guess. Anyhow I told the owner that I would not run it with the outer piece not on it. He thought it was an accessory pulley  ??? Maybe it was on that model engine because he is still running it and claims he never replaced it. I was on his landing the day we discovered it, I heard a crazzy rattling and stopped the oper, opened up side cover and there it was leaning against radiator shroud. That was over 3 years ago. I personally would replace or fix it though

ScottAR

See Dampner dudes mentioned in the car forums a lot.  I have no experience.

http://www.damperdudes.net/
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

snowstorm

i had one go bad on a 671 many yrs ago. it would break fan belts. that truck had 2 belts on it. they would only last a few hrs and would snap them. i put a new damper on it. problem fixed

Thank You Sponsors!