iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hauling 20 ft logs by snowmobile

Started by Quebecnewf, March 23, 2015, 05:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Had a request for 5 twenty ft logs from a customer . These logs are to be slabbed down two sides to six inches. Pain in the a....... To handle in the woods and a pain to haul. I only cut up to 16 ft , and not too many of those. My mill is only set for 16 ft logs so I don,t cut longer.

Had to tie two sleds together to haul them . Took 3 the first  trip and the other 2 the next trip.

Hope I don,t get an order for any more.
QUEBECNEWF

coxy

hope your getting a good chunk of $$$$ but looks like your having fun  ;D ;D

g_man

I see you know how to do what you gotta do to get it done. Looks like nice cool weather. How is the ice this year ? I would bet pretty good.

Quebecnewf

We have had a good winter. Lots of snow and cold. Monster snow storm yesterday and today. Cleared up around lunch time today. Going in to shovel out the sawmill shed tomorrow. I will post pics. Checked it out today and it is nearly full of snow. We have had very high winds here with the last two snow storms and snow drifts in everywhere.

Pic of wife unloading logs at a small island near where we cut this winter. We have 160 logs hauled there and will raft them home to the mill later this spring or summer

Quebecnewf

Maine logger88

That's cool! So your pulling wood out of the woods onto an island on a lake? It would be cool to see some pics of you floating the logs out this spring!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Quebecnewf

No it's not a lake it's the ocean. Gulf of St Lawrence to be exact . Pics of the log rafting process are in my gallery . Check it out

Quebecnewf

Maine logger88

I just checked it out very cool! How much ice is on the bay?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

tantoy

Wow, I checked out your gallery, you do all that with just saws and snowmobiles!
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

cutterboy

Quebecnewf, how do you know where that island is? It all looks the same to me. :D  Thanks for keeping us up to date, I love your pictures.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Quebecnewf

Ice thickness varies from season to season. Some winters two feet thick some other winters maybe only a foot. Some winters not thick enough

Quebecnewf

brewdog

could you put photo of sled please?

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum brewdog.

Go to Quebecnewf's posts and his gallery. There you will see pics of his sleds which are quite unique in a way. How he and his wife use them is also very interesting.

Here is but one of many...

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

brewdog

like to see sled with no logs ,what they made from?

beenthere

How about some info from you?  Location in your profile would be good, along with some introduction of your interests, such as logging with sleds.
We'd like to get to know you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!