iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blemished bark on oak saplings

Started by maple man, December 25, 2014, 06:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple man

Merry Christmas folks
I went walking through my woodlot in Dixmont Maine today and noticed some three inch Diameter oak saplings that had broken blister type defects all over the bark. This looks a lot like the Nectria complex that afflicts almost all beech in this area. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I can't see any other differences between the affected and unaffected saplings but they are still small and if this is something bad now would be the time to weed them out.

kwendt

Hi and welcome. I'm not a forester... But there are many on here. Can you take a couple pictures and post them?
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

Holmes

Could it be you are looking at Chestnut with blight? I was told that the chestnut still lives in the Northeast , they get to be 2 to 3" in diameter and die from the blight.
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!