iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Took a job with a friend of mine, had 1wk to get it done, sat in that buncher from 5pm till 6am, he was in his 648G3 for 28hrs and seeing stars 🤣 More rain was coming and we couldn't wait. Firewood in that picture, all the good ash and maple was down in the bottom. 

It's getting busy and "HEAP" day isnt far off. 

As much as I want to be a fulltime logger it's not going to happen 🤣 Municipalities are filling their barns so we are literally loading off the screen right now, back her into the bank and GO. 

nativewolf

Quote from: longtime lurker on October 27, 2018, 07:09:30 PM
Another one getting ready to launch with 48 ton on (actually about 54 but lets pretend we're running legal) One of the things with this super hard Aussie hardwood is the density - means not that much log volume to the trailer before you hit your weight.

Lot of guys are going this way around here now: log bolsters based on container twist locks set up on regular trailers. You lose some capacity compared to regular logging skels or jinkers but the versatility helps offset the seasonal/ intermittent nature of the work.
Man, that's a few nice sticks!  What are you using to load those 50' logs?  
Liking Walnut

longtime lurker

Wheel loader. Cat 936 class machines are kind of the industry default setting around here: lift capacity around 4 ton with forks will let you pick up 85% of what you want to handle easy enough, and argue another 10% on by putting one end at a time on the bottom of the trailer. The remaining 5% would stand a 966 on its head usually so you might have to cut them in halves or thirds... and if you do that off the stump it takes a lot of strain off the skidders as well. 

Excavators are popular to the south where they tend to have bigger landings in operation, but it takes a 30 or 40 tonner to handle what that same 12 ton wheel loader can lift and with our lower stand density its a lot easier to shift the wheel loader around... that guy could drop his back bolster in about 10 minutes, drop the ramps, 4 chains and you can be a couple hundred mile away by tomorrow morning. We cover some distance between harvest zones.... that lot are about 200 mile out from the nearest mill.

I've never actually seen a log truck that can self load, which i think is pretty much normal for you guys.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

barbender

Longtime, yeah we have self loader trucks, but not that would load those sticks! I always find it interesting how all the different areas represented here get the wood out. Adapting to local conditions, economies and situations to get the job done. For instance, I see a lot of North American long nose trucks in pictures from Oz, it seems like the rest of the world is running the nerdy looking (IMO) cabover trucks. And then you Aussies are pulling like 20 trailers😁
Too many irons in the fire

78NHTFY

g_man: from one old geezer to another--I like the way you work.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

mike_belben

Yeah i'm looking for an aluminum step deck 3 axle with connex locks, log bolsters, levellers, power ramps, toolboxes and a pintle on the back.  

*click*

...hello? Are you still there?

If they had those trains in america, id pity the fool who had to cover the tolls in NJ!
Praise The Lord

longtime lurker

Quote from: barbender on October 27, 2018, 09:43:11 PM
Longtime, yeah we have self loader trucks, but not that would load those sticks! I always find it interesting how all the different areas represented here get the wood out. Adapting to local conditions, economies and situations to get the job done. For instance, I see a lot of North American long nose trucks in pictures from Oz, it seems like the rest of the world is running the nerdy looking (IMO) cabover trucks. And then you Aussies are pulling like 20 trailers😁
We have a lot of country up here thats got plenty trees but not many logs, with odd pockets where there is millable timber in sufficient density to be viable. The industry average number is that its viable for a mill to haul single 24 ton trailer loads to a max of 100 miles, but you pull two trailers and you can double that, three and you can triple it. I've seen a guy pulling triple skels and he'd be doing 28 ton of payload to the trailer for a gross combination mass of 130 ton. Takes a while to get her moving, and you dont want to be trying to stop it in a hurry. I suspect road trains were why they designed the 18 speed roadranger,  we needed all the lows of a 15 to get started and then every hill made you want the top box of a 13 :D
Lot of bad roads up here... you want that bonneted truck ride, and whats a few extra feet when you've got three trailers anyway right? But an aussie built kenworth/mack/star is a whole different beast to a US spec truck.... double or triple chassis rails, lower diff ratios, bigger radiators, beefed up suspension. Air bags make a difference - those old 46000lb SSHD's or camelbacks can shake the teeth clean out of your head.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Skeans1

Quote from: mike_belben on October 27, 2018, 10:17:52 PM
Yeah i'm looking for an aluminum step deck 3 axle with connex locks, log bolsters, levellers, power ramps, toolboxes and a pintle on the back.  

*click*

...hello? Are you still there?

If they had those trains in america, id pity the fool who had to cover the tolls in NJ!
Can't be any longer then some of our pole loads.

Skeans1

Quote from: longtime lurker on October 27, 2018, 10:25:07 PM
We have a lot of country up here thats got plenty trees but not many logs, with odd pockets where there is millable timber in sufficient density to be viable. The industry average number is that its viable for a mill to haul single 24 ton trailer loads to a max of 100 miles, but you pull two trailers and you can double that, three and you can triple it. I've seen a guy pulling triple skels and he'd be doing 28 ton of payload to the trailer for a gross combination mass of 120 + ton. Takes a while to get her moving, and you dont want to be trying to stop it in a hurry. I suspect road trains were why they designed the 18 speed roadranger,  we needed all the lows of a 15 to get started and then every hill made you want the top box of a 13 :D
Lot of bad roads up here... you want that bonneted truck ride, and whats a few extra feet when you've got three trailers anyway right? But an aussie built kenworth/mack/star is a whole different beast to a US spec truck.... double or triple chassis rails, lower diff ratios, bigger radiators, beefed up suspension. Air bags make a difference - those old SSHD's or camelbacks would shake the teeth clean out of your head.
I'd always loved to bring up one of your guys self loading and unloading skeleton trailers that design is brilliant.

mike_belben

The day SWIFT starts pulling those mega poles or triples i am turning in my license and staying off the road!  
Praise The Lord

longtime lurker

Quote from: Skeans1 on October 27, 2018, 10:29:46 PM
We have a lot of country up here thats got plenty trees but not many logs, with odd pockets where there is millable timber in sufficient density to be viable. The industry average number is that its viable for a mill to haul single 24 ton trailer loads to a max of 100 miles, but you pull two trailers and you can double that, three and you can triple it. I've seen a guy pulling triple skels and he'd be doing 28 ton of payload to the trailer for a gross combination mass of 120 + ton. Takes a while to get her moving, and you dont want to be trying to stop it in a hurry. I suspect road trains were why they designed the 18 speed roadranger,  we needed all the lows of a 15 to get started and then every hill made you want the top box of a 13 :D
Lot of bad roads up here... you want that bonneted truck ride, and whats a few extra feet when you've got three trailers anyway right? But an aussie built kenworth/mack/star is a whole different beast to a US spec truck.... double or triple chassis rails, lower diff ratios, bigger radiators, beefed up suspension. Air bags make a difference - those old SSHD's or camelbacks would shake the teeth clean out of your head.
I'd always loved to bring up one of your guys self loading and unloading skeleton trailers that design is brilliant.
Yeah, we're a global industry. We come up with ideas and designs to suit one area and some jump continents because they work somewhere else, and some don't.

Elphinstone Easysteer PBS Payloader - YouTube

Road Train Easyloader B-Triple, Elphinstone - YouTube

Don't show Barge.... hes trailer shopping right now. :D

barbender

Quote from: mike_belben on October 27, 2018, 10:36:41 PM

The day SWIFT starts pulling those mega poles or triples i am turning in my license and staying off the road!  
No kidding!

BargeMonkey

Quote from: longtime lurker on October 27, 2018, 11:01:02 PM
Quote from: Skeans1 on October 27, 2018, 10:29:46 PM
Yeah, we're a global industry. We come up with ideas and designs to suit one area and some jump continents because they work somewhere else, and some don't.

Elphinstone Easysteer PBS Payloader - YouTube

Road Train Easyloader B-Triple, Elphinstone - YouTube

Don't show Barge.... hes trailer shopping right now. :D
I saw the picture 🤣 wish we could attempt something like that around here. 

longtime lurker

Out of the dryland forest and into the jungle... or frying pan to fire would be a good analogy. Different climate, different species, different gear... I've gone from felling off a quadbike with a 26" bar being chased by a 380 Jack to humping a 36" bar around a mountain trying to drop them into places accessible enough for dozer to get at. 
Same industry - wouldnt be 200 mile in a straight line from the last place - totally different ballgame. I'll get some more pics because this is a completely different operation to "normal" lumber harvesting operations that most are familiar with.

Last load out of the week - all the dregs and shorts to clear the landing for next week.

nativewolf

Nice "dregs" there Longtimer.  Can't wait to see the pictures of the wet side of the hill.  How far from Brisbane are you cutting?  Only spent a few weeks in Australia and never too far north.  We lived in Thailand so we went to get away from the heat, headed south and over to Tasmania (great).   
Liking Walnut

longtime lurker

Closest big spot on the map is Cairns, so same state as Brisbane but about 1100 miles north, and probably closer 1300 in the dryland forest.  We're in the tropics, same distance from the equator more or less as Thailand  so you know the drill... I'm either in the hot wet jungle parts or the hot dry open forest and the only difference is whether the 3 + gallons of water you sweat a day leaves your shirt wet or dry. :D

nativewolf

200 from Cairns, wowza you are far north.  Isn't that far north of your normal range or am I mistaken?  Send pictures when you get it going on the new site.
Liking Walnut

teakwood

Quote from: longtime lurker on November 02, 2018, 09:42:20 AMI'm either in the hot wet jungle parts or the hot dry open forest and the only difference is whether the 3 + gallons of water you sweat a day leaves your shirt wet or dry.

Tell me about it!! It's horrible and i think i will never get use to it. 15years in Costa Rica and still sweating like a horse.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

barbender

That hot tropical weather has zero appeal to me!👎

Skeans1

Quote from: barbender on November 03, 2018, 12:32:34 PM
That hot tropical weather has zero appeal to me!👎
Might be like Arizona it's nice to visit if where you live is cold or wet most of the year.

barbender

Yeah Arizona is nice in the winter. I've found I can tolerate the dry western heat just fine, our hot humid summers kill me. I spent many summers on an asphalt paving crew working 12-14 hour days, I really think it sapped my heat tolerance. Or I'm just getting old😁

BargeMonkey

It's so wet this yr, I'm going to make it but I'm pretty sure the banks  are going to own some cheap iron come spring. Bury concrete trucks, dump trucks, it's getting nuts. 

Iron on 3 jobs but it's working out ok. Doing everything I can to make sure I DON'T run out of wood, 🤣 supplying my competions competitor with 2 triaxles a week just to get the point across. 

Tomorrow it's got to happen, D6 will fix it come cold weather unfortunately. 

GRANITEstateMP

Barge,

Are you gonna have  your own TV show, Swamp Logger(s) North???
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

BargeMonkey

If you heard the trash talk between a couple local loggers here you would think a show would fly. 🤣 My oldest cousin owns a logging company / sawmill in WY, my other cousin works for Wagner and literally down the road from me, I'm working for a buyer who is trying to outbid them so it's not making us friends 🤣  I keep joking with some of my help that I'm buying the place next door and opening a bar / strip club so they have some place to work when they blow thru their paycheck. 

Skeans1

You could call it the dirty logger with a neon sign caulk boots allowed.

Thank You Sponsors!