iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Latest Project

Started by D L Bahler, November 13, 2018, 04:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D L Bahler

I had determined not to post this project until we actually purchased the timber. We're not quite to that point, though very close, but I thought I'd post it here anyway. Some of you have asked about it, and rather than PM several people with this info I decided to go ahead and post it up here. 

The biggest reason I didn't want to put it up until work started is the fact that the design is subject to change. In fact even today I have spent some time modifying the design. What I have now is probably pretty close to final, though there may be a few minor changes. For the most part modifications from here on will be directed toward efficiency of processes -both the construction process and the operations within the completed structure- and any modifications needed to satisfy the State. 

Anyway enough intro, here's some pics. 

First some elevations: 

Now these also show the footers -or general idea on where the footers will be at least, exact depth and width is subject to soil load capacity requirements. 

Next some floor plans: 

First, the ground level. This is where most of the activity takes place. We have here a dairy production facility housing the rear sections, with the middle bay serving as a delivery and wash out area. The front houses public facilities, including a retail space, restrooms, and information center. 

This next level is occupied primarily by office space. It has direct access from the exterior to ground level due to split grade on the site. There is a stairway connecting the two levels. Functions are separate and not directly related between the first and second level.

This final level is the loft. It's a large open space, accessed via exterior ramp. There is no direct access to lower levels. 

The building is designed to be constructed in stages -though all stages would be completed within a short amount of time. The purpose of this is to allow limited production and preparation of product samples to begin before the rest of the structure is complete. 

The production facility is to be built from ICF walls with a heavy concrete ceiling. This structure will be perfectly serviceable and watertight by itself for temporary use until the structure above is finished. The delivery bay on the front will be constructed with a light wooden frame slightly smaller than the dimensions of the final structure, so that it can be used while the rest of the building is built around it. THis is not a good long term solution, but should be adequate for a couple of months. 

Note: the black mark on the slabs are there for my reference. They are there to show where wooden members lie, and thus where some kind of fastners are required, as well as separation between the wood and concrete. 

Most of the wooden posts land on the slab directly above walls below. But where they do not, there are concrete beams built into the structure to transfer the vertical loads to the walls without loading the floor. The floor as designed is 8" thick. The concrete beams are 6"x10" 

The rest of the building can then be constructed around this portion, allowing production to begin without having to wait on the structure to be completed. This is necessary, because of the time factor involved in production and product sampling. It will be necessary to have sample available as soon as possible, and a facility is needed for this to happen. 

In these pictures you can see more clearly the grade dynamics that allow the two levels to be accessed without the use of stairs.

There are of course a great many details to this structure, with many carefully designed elements. It is both a faithful reproduction of a traditional style both in terms of architecture and engineering/joinery, as well as being a building designed to be functional and practical. 

woodsteach

WOW!  Keep us posted on the progress.

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

woodsteach

After spending my lunch break looking at your gallery pix of your new project, again WOW!  What kind of wood are you using for this project?  How what are the dimensions of the factory?

I immediately thought of you after watching a Youtube of a Switzerland construction co.  This Swiss Builder uses NO INSULATION... - YouTube]Switzerland Construction Technique [/url]
and I was going to contact you about pricing out a frame and plank home, but it looks like you might be busy for little while!!

Good Luck

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

D L Bahler

This project will take some time in planning, regulatory compliance, approval, etc. So in all likelihood it will probably be a couple of years before we can actually put it up. 
So depending on the size and scope of your project, I do have some time before I will be working on this. 

Thank You Sponsors!