iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any PNW Members That Repair Saws?

Started by Windy Isle, January 25, 2018, 05:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windy Isle

I'm rrrrreeaallly hoping that I'm not posting this in the wrong location, but...I'm looking for someone in my region (Northwest Washington; I live in La Conner, work in Burlington) that would be willing to teach me to perform some of the repair/maintenance work on my saws.  I've gotten a bit of experience running saws over the past decade (I've cut around 100 cords of firewood), but my mechanical skills have been limited to chain sharpening, basic saw maintenance, and one guided piston/cylinder replacement.  The carbs on my main saws (Stihl 036, 034, 026, and 024) need to be tuned by someone that knows what they're doing, although they would probably benefit from a rebuild.  I also have a couple saws that aren't running at all right now (Husqvarna 61 and 51, and Stihl MS180).  I was told that the 61 and 51 need to be vacuum/pressure tested, and I'm pretty certain that the MS180 needs a new carb.  Money is of course tight, but I'd be willing to trade at least the 034 in order to learn a skill, and get my saws working reliably.  I may also have some other items/skills to barter with...  I'm sincerely not looking for freebies or charity, I just want to become a bit more competent/self-sufficient... 
Stihl 036 Pro
Stihl 034 AV
Stihl 026 AV
Stihl 024 AV Wood Boss
Stihl MS 180C
Husqvarna 61
Husqvarna 51

Windy Isle

Well, although I haven't gotten any replies, it looks like the thread has had quite a few views.  So, I figure I'll give y'all an update, so that anyone else in my situation will know that dreams really do come true...   :D

When I started this thread, I posted a similar request on my local Craigslist site.  I received one sorta creepy/sketchy response, and one that really seemed legit.  Short story long...I made a new friend this past Saturday.  We corresponded via email several times over the past week or so, as he wanted to know exactly what I was looking to accomplish, and I wanted to kinda "vet" him (I got burned on a similar arrangement a couple years ago).  Anyhow, I went to his place on Saturday, and had a blast.  He's got a wide range of pretty neat saws (all modified in some fashion), and all the tools necessary to do the work I was hoping for.  Even in just a few hours I learned a lot.  There were definitely some breakthrough moments for me, especially regarding carb tuning.  We spent most of the time working on my 026, which has always been really difficult to start, especially when cold.  We dismantled the carb, and ran it through his ultrasonic cleaner.  After that, we performed a muffler mod, re-assembled and re-installed the carb, and tuned the saw.  Wow, that thing runs awesome now!  During the remaining time, we tuned the rest of my main saws (024, 034, 036).  Good grief they start fast and run great now!  Sometime over the next couple weeks, we're going to clean the carbs on those three saws, install carb kits (on the 026, also), and perform muffler mods.  After that, we're gonna replace the carb on my MS180 with an adjustable one (WT-215, right?), advance the timing, and muffler mod it.  Long term, we'll replace the piston and cylinder on my 034 with a Meteor (or other aftermarket brand; recommendations?), then rebuild and muffler mod my Husqvarna 51 and 61 (I'm giving him the 61 in exchange for his knowledge and labor; he seems happy with that arrangement). 

I could not be happier at this point.  I've really wanted to learn these skills for so long, but just didn't have anyone to mentor me hands-on (hats off to those of you that can learn via these threads and YouTube videos; I just struggle with that).  Anyways; feeling super grateful... 
Stihl 036 Pro
Stihl 034 AV
Stihl 026 AV
Stihl 024 AV Wood Boss
Stihl MS 180C
Husqvarna 61
Husqvarna 51

redbeard

Hello windy isle I am not much of a chainsaw mech but I do live close too you on North Whidbey.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Windy Isle

Quote from: redbeard on February 06, 2018, 01:32:13 AM
Hello windy isle I am not much of a chainsaw mech but I do live close too you on North Whidbey.

Thanks for the greeting Redbeard!  I'm pretty sure that you and I actually spoke via phone a couple years ago.  I had offered you some big leaf maple logs (just south of Admiral's Cove) for your sawmill.  The offer/deal kinda dissolved, not at all due to you or I, but because of the property owners (actually kind of a bummer of a story). 
Stihl 036 Pro
Stihl 034 AV
Stihl 026 AV
Stihl 024 AV Wood Boss
Stihl MS 180C
Husqvarna 61
Husqvarna 51

Thank You Sponsors!