iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Successfully Germinating Bur oak and Red oak.

Started by SwampDonkey, March 01, 2008, 07:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Beauchamp

Good luck! By the way, they can take 'flooding', just not prolonged periods of inundation such as in a swamp setting. They are pretty prevalent in our flood plains along the rivers here. Also, have you noticed any swamp white oak up your direction?

SwampDonkey

Brian, I guess I don't know who your asking. But, if me, we don't have any other native oak species except bur oak and red oak here. But we are the only Maritime province to have bur oak.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

For sure, not only species-wise. But being sparse as they are, it's a challenge to perpetuate them.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brian Beauchamp

Yep...asking you Swamp! :)

Strange how swamp white is everywhere around you...even skipped over into Nova Scotia somehow according to the USDA distribution map:
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=qubi

I was hoping you could change the distribution map!  ;D

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 06, 2010, 03:47:47 PM
Brian, I guess I don't know who your asking. But, if me, we don't have any other native oak species except bur oak and red oak here. But we are the only Maritime province to have bur oak.

SwampDonkey

There's no swamp white oak in Nova Scotia neither. We have more species here in New Brunswick than Nova Scotia does.  The furthest east in Canada for that species is on the Ontario-Quebec border at the mouth of the Ottawa River and islands. ;) Nova Scotia doesn't have butternut nor basswood either and we do. ;D The Saint John River valley is a haven for species that don't exist in other areas of the region and diminishing because of farmland clearing. Just about all the best ground is growing taters.

Natural history of the Saint John River Valley

Thank You Sponsors!