iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

impressive lack of equipment

Started by paul case, May 28, 2010, 01:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

I love my bandmilll.
a fella showed up today about noon who had ordered some loading boards from me 2 weeks ago. he said i had trouble finding you. turns out he was thinking huge circle ,mill huge diesel engine, 60 feet of track, big loader or winch truck, massive pile of slabs or trash lumber and piles of logs sitting around.
when he saw the boards he said thats just what i wanted.when he saw the mill he said'' you cut these with that?''.
that got me to thinking maybe i need more old milling equipment sitting out by the road so people can find me easier! pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bibbyman

Maybe you can just rack up a big pile of slabs near the road?  Order in a couple of train car loads of sawdust?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Gilman

Reminds me of a sawyer I visited in central Oregon.  He's cut cedar for years and I believe has every slab he's cut stacked like a fence on the front of his property.  He stacks it with a loader so it is easily 20' high.  I asked him what he was going to do with it.  "I don't know, you want some slabs?" was his response.  I wonder how big the pile is now.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

red oaks lumber

or you could have a nice sign showing people where you are.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

I had an off-bearer laugh once saying, "you gonna saw those big logs on that baby sawmill"?  I was laughing at the end of the first day and his butt was dragging the ground.  I teased him for the rest of the job about what that "baby sawmill" could do.    :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

im too tight to put a pile of slabs out by the road. they all get cut into firewood and piled up inside one of my buildings. if they were by the road someone would set them on fire for me.
the sawdust idea wouldnt turn too many heads since we used to pile about 10 tt loads out there every time we were about to clean out the chicken houses. someone tried to set that on fire once.
i actually was thinking about taking down my small sign. no sign works for 2 of the 3 larger mills near here. doyou have a sign?
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

red oaks lumber

i have a two way sign with my web address on top, my sign has made me several millions $ in sales transaction.the best part ,it doesn't cost anything after the inital cost.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

r.man

Rotary mills seem to use old blades for signs but I don't think the eyesight of the general public would be able to read "Paul Case Sawmilling" painted on a one and a quarter band of steel. Maybe a sign meant to look like a section of band blade?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: r.man on May 28, 2010, 08:16:01 PM
Maybe a sign meant to look like a section of band blade?

Not sure how but get yourself a chunk of old blade from a large sawmill that runs a bandsaw. They have bands that are 14"+ wide.

paul case

i have a 4'x6' sign out front a2'x2' sign on the gate and another made of a 29'' sawblade on the way in the drive.
maybe i need to make an eye exam chart with c a s e s a w m i l l  on it? probably just need to mow the grass it maybe starting to look a little snakey?pc
pc

backwoods sawyer

Or you could hide all of your equipment behind a sign.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

etkoehn

Farm Boy

paul case

thats hard to miss backwoods. pc
pc

WDH

It is a sign and a portal all in one.  Looks great!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

And you can use the "john" while waiting for the owner to open the gate.    :D

Looks nice !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Or you could hide it far enough behind the gate that it couldn't be seen.   :)

paul case

I bet thats not a privy cause it  aint got no door.   maybe a hidey hole for the kids to wait for the school bus? pc
pc

captain_crunch

PC
With the way things are now days don't know if door matters anymore
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Bibbyman

Quote from: paul case on May 29, 2010, 05:00:35 PM
I bet thats not a privy cause it  aint got no door.   maybe a hidey hole for the kids to wait for the school bus? pc

Looks like the door is open and on the right.  I just figured it was a handicap accessible privy.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

paul case

come on backwoods (or should i call you bs?)
we have got to know is that a privy with no door or a bus stop shelter or both??? maybe its a roadside  rest stop ?  most of those have a cocacola  machine right next to the privy.
whatever the use  i just want to say that it looks real good and the use of rough sawn lumber in your sign and the????? is real rustic looking and i like it.  pc
pc

backwoods sawyer

Here is an interior view to dispel any myth of a privy. :o
It was built as a bus stop, even though the kids walk to school, ::) but will also get use as a place to give away extra veggie's from the garden. The floor is redwood, benches are pine, and the walls are reclaimed fir with fresh fir edgings as bats. Therefore, it is kind of a Hodge Podgy set up. :-\
Speaking of privies, this shed is not one either, it is a portable tack shed. ;D 

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

paul case

no holes in those seats. i had a homemade kiln builing sitting outside for a while. on neighbor stoped in and said he had never seen such a well insulated outhouse. pc
pc

Thank You Sponsors!