iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Blade for Oregon White Oak

Started by deumling, May 31, 2010, 11:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deumling

Hi,  My name is Ben and I am a newbie here.  I have been cutting Oregon White Oak on an S&W Bandmill for a few years now.  Getting to be pretty full time these days.  I have been using Lenox 1.5" 7/8 pitch blades, and they work decently. 

Wondering what anybody else uses?

Any info would be appreciated.

thanks

-ben

paul case

welcome ben,
i saw a lot of oklahoma white oak and post oak. use only timberwolf blades. the maker of the mill i have recomends them and they work very well. mine are 1-1/4  x  7/8
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

backwoods sawyer

On my LT-70 I run 1.5" Woodmizer saws, with a 10* hook angle and it seems to work real well on the Oregon white and black oaks.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

Hi Ben, welcome to the Forestry Forum.

The only Oak I've cut on my mill was Red Oak and it sawed just fine with Wood-Mizer .045 1¼ blades with a 10° hook, set at .025.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

Give some 7 or 4* hook angle blades a try, you'll like them.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Hi Ben.  I can't answer your question because Oregon White Oak might be different from Mississippi White Oak, but I can say Welcome to The Forestry Forum.  Your questions will be in good hands here.    :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!