iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone had expericnce with Procut Portable mill?

Started by acco1840, June 22, 2011, 06:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acco1840

I am looking at a procut portable sawmill that has been locally built from plans. The bloke wants $1000 for it without the stihl 066 he had driving it.
I have a good 090, so that doesnt bother me, but am just interested to see what others think of them. Anything I need to look for?

Foxfarm

Yes I built one 3 years ago. Works well. Wish I would have a bucked up for the bigger saw. 1000.00 dollars sounds like a good deal I have more than that in mine (steel, paint, hardware, etc..) good luck.

duke

Though I have not milled with one ,I have gone over the figures that the manufacturerer has supplied on his web site. These seem to me to be very accureate to say the least. This guy has many years of experience in the forest and the forest industry. I personally think that this is a good way to1/ obtain a saw mill inexpensivelly 2/ obtain some knowledge about the mill and/or any other type of mill 3/ find out quickly if it is something that you would want to stick with. 4/ have the saticfaction of building and using something and being able to create a finished product on your own time lines. These things speak volumes to me,personally. :P :) 8) ;D ;)
marcel

Meadows Miller

Gday

and Welcome to The Forum Acco 1840 its nice to have another Australian aboard  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) I have a Inter Acco 1830B  ;) ;D 8) I have had two Csms Dad built for Me the first was when I was about 13yo based on a M7 logosol with a 371xp husky 20" bar and 24" cut  ;)then we built a H/duty similar to the procut with a 3120xp with 48" bar about a year later it had a 28 long 6x2 tube frame  with extensions to cut to 42" long for the log building business ;) both did what they where built for and I cut a fair bit of timber mainly D/fir for the local hardware  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Heres a pic of My Acco too for you Mate  ;) 

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

acco1840

Hey thanks mate, I like your Acco. I have an old red Butterbox 1840 v8 and an 1810C Tilt cab. Am looking at the procut, but just thought I'd ask. I already run a home made bench millwith 42 inch saw, powered by a 120HP BMC diesel. Am looking for a portable cheap version, and this procut is looking good.

Meadows Miller

Thanks Mate  ;) ;D Well like the other boys have said for the money I dont think you could go wrong with it  ;) Whats the capacity and bar length it will take  ??? when I was sawing on ours I use to do between 1.5 and 2 m3 (635 and 850bft) sawn per day in 4x2 through to 12x2s but you had to keep at it  ;D 8)  ;)  :D ;D plus it would make a handy breakdown for your breast bench when you are at home  ;) ;D 8)

I see you have been doing firewood for years how many ton are you doing a year Mate ?? Melbourne is in a wood shortage atm but thts cause the idiots have been brain washed that only red gums good to burn and its running out with the forest closures over the border in Nsw Im thinkn they will have to learn that Common wood and Blue gum will burn just as well in coming years  ;)

Regards Chris

acco1840

Hey mate. Am only a one person operation, and turn out about 30 ish tonnes per week at the moment. Most of it goes to the Kingston Woodyard, with a few private orderd in between. We have the same problem. People here think that east coast white peppermint is the only way to go. I am currently in State Forest cutting stringy bark and swampy.

I agree that the Procut would be a good breaking down. Am sick of freehand ripping with 090.

What do you have powering your bench?

Meadows Miller

Gday

30+ ton per weeks good going for a single bloke  ;) I use to cut alot of common wood about 10 years ago over in Creswick 2 to 3 ute n trailer loads was a good day about 2.5 ton each having a truck would have been easier though as I could have just gone out n cut a 8 ton load n come home in one trip as it was 40 to 50ks each way to the block n back  ;)

just pto powerd off the C670 Chamberlain heres a couple of pics of it and the table top mill we built when I was 18yo it wil take a 50" saw but I have only run a 36 or a 44" in it over the years and havn't milled with it in 2 &1/2 years since we go the Lucas Mills I just use them for everything now  ;) I also have an 97mod 8-20 here with about 300 hrs on the motor thats had a a new clutch and gear box in the last 50hrs for $8k if your interested too  Mate ;) ;D  

Meadows Miller

acco1840

I understand why you wouldnt use the bench when you have a Lucas. I worked for the tasmanian Lucas agent in 2009 for 3 months and used the 6, 8 and 10 inch mills. Didnt really like going back to bench milling after that. \
I found the 10 inch to be the best mill. It was geared differently to the 8 and was smoother to use. Beautiful mill.

we were cutting 8 inch by 3 inch sleepers and 4 inch by 4 inch crossarms for the Hydro Electric commission.

$8000 for an 8 inch Lucas mill??? we are getting ripped off here in Tas. That would sell for like $12000 over here.
I would love it, but cash isnt that great at the moment. HOWEVER I am coming into some money (inheritance) in the next couple of months and would love to come and get it off you if you still have it.
Does it have the standard 6 metre tracks, with or without extentions? Do you have a pic or 2 mate?

am interested.

acco1840

If the above pictures of the Lucas is the one you have for sale, am interested. When I get cashed up, I will definatly give you a yell................... "all good things come to those who wait. and wait. and wait..........

Meadows Miller

Gday

You know your way around a Lucas then  ;) and I love the way the 10-30 runs too Mate  ;) ;D 8) I doubt Ill ever go back to Benching I did for years mainly on other peoples mills ;) the next step for Me would be to get the Meadows carriage going but im thinking it may be awhile and plus Im happy just being able to run the mill on my own with the Lucas still  I don't have to worry about wages :)

Its the one in the pics Mate  ;) nah I reckon $8 k is fare as it is one of the earlier 8" mills with the 20hp briggs  motors  ;) Ill keep you posted on it as My best Mate who is also a Sawyer is after it and Dad has been holding it for him the last 12 months he just has to come up with the money which I think he may have just done as we said he could  put 50% down and pay the rest off over a couple off months We will see what happens  ;)

I know where there are a couple (1) 8-20 and (1) 8-25 that see only part time use that might be for sale so I reckon I could help you track a s/hand one down if this one gets sold before you are ready too Mate  ;) ;D

Regards Chris

acco1840

buck_lake

I built a Procut about 5 years ago and have milled with it ever since. I wore out a Husky on it and currently am running a Stihl 66. For a relative inexpensive mill it is just great....not as fast as a bandmill but no 'wavy' wood either and the chain is easlily sharpened and lasts a very long time compared to the band blades. Also the cuts are amazingly smooth. The cost for the materials to build the mill were approximately 2 grand...labour was free.
Donald.

fuzzybear

My mill is based on the pro-cut design. The only thing different is the power plant.  I  use an 11hp Honda motor for power and am very glad I did. The chain speed is slower at 3500rpm, but with a full comp chain reground to 5 degrees, it cuts very smooth lumber.
And it cuts as fast as I can push it through the log.
   I am working on a new frame, and adding air controlled feed and dogs. The steel is all recycled, and the air controlls are from the Freightliner truck that donated the last 20' of frame rails for the new foundation.
  Total I have $1000 into it, and that includes the motor.
  I'm just headed out for 2 days but I'll try to remember to load the pictures when I get back.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

krueger95

fuzzybear,

I'm very interested in your mill. I started to build a procut but didn't want to spend the $1,000.00 on a saw. I have a 15 hp vertical shaft motor but thought the 3600 rpm would be too slow for the chain. If you have a chance, I'd like to see a photo on how you're driving the saw chain. Also, I'm a lazy old ,,,,fellow, slow I'm planning on a power feed on the carriage. I saw a guy using a 1/2" variable speed drill to power his band saw carriage back and forth.  Seemed to work very well and the drill cost him less than $50.00 !
Thanks for your assistance !!

fuzzybear

Krueger95,
   I used a solid steel pulley that the drive sprocket from a Husqvarna  fit over. I had to grind a hair off of it to make it fit tight and then welded it into place. I used a 6 pin sprocket with a 7 pin added to take up space. and if the chain ever stretched I could take up slack with the other.
   Think of a chain saw chain as a large flexible saw blade. You do not need fast speeds with it. The way you grind the chain will determine how fast and how smooth you can cut. With a skip tooth chain it is very rough and very hard to get through the log. With a full house ground to no more than 5deg, it will produce smooth lumber and pulls through even dry logs at a good speed.
   When the rain stops I'll get some pictures for you. May not be today.
   For a power feed I have used a small 1500lb ATV winch and removed the cable and made a capstan type drive system. With a 70 amp alt. and a rheostat it works very well for small operations. I got the winch on sale for $40.
   I am still trying to find an air powered windshield wiper motor for a truck. They run at 10psi and can run with as much as 50. With a pressure control it will have enough power to pull the head through without a problem, and they are EASY to rebuild.
   The truck that I got the frame rails from had air rams for raising the cab, so I have the rams for 2 dogs. need 2 more for log turner, but they only run about $30 each. I have all the fittings and hose  I need for air controll on everything. Including 8 extra air tanks.
   I sure hope this will help you out. like I said when the rain stops (if it ever will) I'll take some pictures of the drive system for you.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

krueger95

fuzzybear,
Thanks very much for your reply and suggestions. I've been up in Canada this last week working but don't have internet service there. So was very nice to get home and read your message.
Wish we lived closer as I have parts I'd share with you - old air and hydraulic cylinders & etc..
Thanks for the ideas you've shared, can't wait to find time to get back on the chainsaw mill project again.

Stan

Thank You Sponsors!