iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Productivity gains from SimpleSet?

Started by WoodenHead, April 08, 2014, 07:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

Has anyone upgraded from a manual setworks to SimpleSet on an LT40 and noticed productivity gains?  I'm contemplating the upgrade, particularly if it means more throughput.  I'm already swamped with work for the next few weeks and any little gains will be helpful.  I usually have no problem keeping track of things when it comes to the math, but I suppose it will at least improve quality. 

Once the snow is gone and the frost is out of the ground, I'll be adding rollers and setting up my edger.  Along with that I'm setting up a sawdust collector to blow into a forage wagon.  Too much to do!

delvis

We have the accuset so excuse me if I speak out of turn but I can tell you compared to the old mill which was just eyeballing it, there is a world of difference.  I can program any number of thickness I want into the program and the computer moves the head that much every single time.

I know it has increased my production over our old mill because I don't have to try and remember different numbers for different thicknesses anymore and I don't have to try and get the head 'close enough' to make a good cut. 

I think you'll see an improvement in production rate if you make the switch. 
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

bandmiller2

As with any computer you have to know how to get the best out of it. I ran an LT-70 for a couple of years and could keep the offbearer on his toes. I always got the feeling I was only tapping a small bit of the mills potential. There is a price to pay, computers don't like the dews and damps an outdoor mill lives with. In a dry building and used often their fine, but a part time miller who leaves them out and laying fallow for ling periods of time should be handy at troubleshooting. Woodenhead good luck mate try all its functions, I wont say twice the production but you will be nipping at its heels. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

woodmills1

I will agree with the previous, I love my acuset.  It really does make my 70 just spit out product, but when I have quoted a job, and first thing in the morn it gives me check motor circuits..........................give me back my manual LT 40.  I am a very straight forward simple guy who can do math, so I would like more of not heart breaks
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dave Shepard

I don't have experience with the simple set, but I know how it works. It will save time over manually setting the mill. There is at least one trick that should help get a lot out of the SimpleSet, and that is to have some cheat sheets handy for common materials. The SimpleSet Deosn't know where it is in relationship to the bed like Accuset does. But, if you know where to start your first cut, then you can still use the auto down feature and end up with your target board thickness.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!