Quick cant hook questions

Started by Warbird, September 04, 2010, 10:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

Hey guys,

Wasn't sure whether to ask this here or if I should send you an email.  I'll try here.  :) 

I have been perusing your site and am getting ready to buy.  I don't own a mill (yet) but I heat with firewood.  Living in Alaska, I use 5 - 6 cord per winter.  The trees we usually gather range from 8" - 20+" DBH and are quite long.  We occasionally get trees much larger than that but I don't like to burn those, because I dream of owning a mill someday.

I am very interested in purchasing one of your cant hooks with the attachable log stand.  The idea is to get the end of the log I'm cutting up out of the dirt, to save my chainsaw bar/chain.  Now for the questions:

1. Is what I'm wanting to do with the cant hook and stand workable?  I mean, in your opinion, will that setup work well?

2. If so, for the size logs I'm talking about and what I want to do, which size cnt hook would you recommend?

3. I see you ship UPS.  An unbeknownst fact to many folks is that if you ask UPS about it, they actually will ship Ground to Alaska.  Is that something you guys would be willing to check into, to reduce my shipping costs?

Thanks for taking the time!

beenthere

Warbird
You will like the cant hook.

I use the short LogRite cant hook for firewood, without the cradle. To me, that cradle takes too much time.

To avoid dirt sawing, I buck a log about 3/4 of the way through. Then use the cant hook to roll it half way over (180) and nip the last 1/4.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

You could roll the log onto some skid poles you can cut out of the tops of your firewood trees. ;) I found out just how heavy a 20" white spruce gets laying in the grass for a couple years. It was about 12 feet long and good thing I had a Logrite peavy.  It might have been round, but it didn't roll easy, and that's working with a hill on my side instead of against. :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

neslrite

Warbird,
I would recommend a PV048 or a PV042 for the size logs you are rolling, as far as the logstand goes it will handle any weight that you can muscle over.

Personally I never use mine, I cut 15 - 20 cords of wood 2" to 45" in dia., I just do what beenthere suggests.

We can work with you on the shipping, sometimes USPS to AK is the cheapest.

I suggested the peavey over the cant hook because you can stick it in the ground and not have to bend over. Just my personal preference.

Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Warbird

Thanks Kevin.  Discussing it with the Mrs.   ::) ;)

RSteiner

I have two of the Logrite peaveys.  Most of the time I use beenthere's method.  Some times I roll the larger logs up on a couple of 3 or 4 inch diameter pieces 3 o 4 feet long to get them off the ground a little more and it makes the rolling a little easier.

I like the peavey over the cant hook.  A freind purchased the peavey with the log stand and found he uses the tool as a peavey more than the log lifting tool.

Randy
Randy

Warbird

Thanks for all your opinions.  I'll likely be buying a peavey and might still get the log stand. 

SwampDonkey

Growing up here around folks in the woods, they all used peaveys in this area. Cant hook use I only discovered from others here on the forum.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Frickman

I have five LogRite peavies and cant hooks. Have Kevin to throw in a couple of each. You won't regret it. Maybe you can even open an Alaska distribution center. I'm sure you're not the only person there who needs Kevin's products.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time