iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best smoking wood?

Started by scgargoyle, September 09, 2009, 04:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

What better place to ask? In a couple months, I'll be back up at my place in SC, and I'm thinking about bringing home some wood for the smoker, rather than buying those expen$ive bags at the big box store. I have 7 acres of hardwood, and I need to do some thinning, so I thought I'd take down a smaller tree or two, and bring some home. Here's what grows there: Red oak, white oak, poplar, hickory, sweet gum, and red maple. I know the hickory will work, and there's a few puny ones that could come down, but what about the others? There's plenty of Virginia Pine, too, but I don't think that would work well for smoking.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

thedeeredude

I cooked some ribs over ash once and they tasted out of this world.  The wood was slightly rotten.  Don't know what it did but digin_2

Dodgy Loner

Hickory is the best on that list. Surely you can find a cherry tree on that property that needs to come down as well :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Reddog

For sausage, red meat and fish we always use hard maple.
For fowl, apple or hickory.
Also I like to take the bark off the wood.

Mooseherder

I tried some BlackJack Oak a friend had brought down from NW. Florida this past Labor Day to make some Beer Can Chicken.
It was real good.  He brought the wood for my Fire Ring but I think I'm gonna save it to make smoke and heat to cook instead.  My traditional smoker is at the camp so I had to improvise.  This was good enough to brag about.   And the leftover Chicken sandwiches were a winner too.
Here is some video. ;D
I had so much fun doing it I threw a Turkey Breast on after the Chickens were done. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pvTS34wt24

Never heard of it being used before but I tried Quaking Aspen when we were at Camp this summer.   I smoked 2 chickens in the smoker and finished them on the Fire Pit ring.  I needed the grill to cook other stuff and the these Beer Can Chickens were gonna be for the next days sandwiches so off they went to the ring.  They were some good and juicy. :)

Weekend_Sawyer

MH, I never heard of twisting a wing, does that tell you the bird is done?
nice video, thanks.

Scargoyle I have used Hickory, red oak and pecan. green and dry wood. all work very well. I tried hickory nuts green, still in the outer shell but the taste just wasn't there. If I cut down a hickory tree I cut a bunch of rounds (cookies) off of it and stack them in the carport. If I am at a friends house I just take a walk and find some branch that "needs" trimming and take it. Dry wood tends to flare up, I keep a squirt bottle of watter next to the grill. Green wood or branches work good and don't flare up.

That's all I got on that.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Mooseherder

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on September 09, 2009, 07:40:32 PM

MH, I never heard of twisting a wing, does that tell you the bird is done?
nice video, thanks.

It's a good measure.  I usually twist the Drumstick to tell if it is done when cooking Whole Chickens in the oven but the position of the Bird here and even after cooking for 3 hours some time the Drumsticks are definately done but the Wings take longer being the furthest away from the heat.   The Steam from the Beer Can keeps the Breast moist.

ErikC

We have different woods here on the west coast, but I use maple, alder or apple the most for fish and birds. white oak for red meat and pork. I have heard that most nut or fruit bearing trees are a good bet if you are uncertain.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

rickywashere

hickory or apple is the only 2 i have used but after reading the post above i may give ash a try

Magicman

Myself, hickory, pecan, oak.  I have a friend that does a lot of smoking and he uses Chinaberry.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I am a hickory and oak man....
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Quote from: Mooseherder on September 09, 2009, 07:12:30 PM
I tried some BlackJack Oak a friend had brought down from NW. Florida

MH, that would have been Turkey Oak, which is commonly called "blackjack" in these parts.  I think that term is used for different oaks in other parts of the country.  To me, Turkey Oak is the absolutely best cooking wood on Earth!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mooseherder

DanG if you're coming thisaway could you please fill your truck wit it? ;D

ohsoloco

I've used oak, hickory, ash, cherry, apple, and mulberry for smoking.  Mostly apple and mulberry.  Of course, that's what is available where the smoke house stands  ;)  Cut a branch into cookies and use immediately.  This is for cold smoking.  I mostly BBQ with cherry (buck and split my slabs), but locust makes a nice hot fire for making steaks "Pittsburgh rare"  ;D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caz

All woods mentioned are great, But----------Have you ever tried grapevine Wow just Wow   sketti_1

scgargoyle

Sounds like hickory will be fine, although I don't have much of it. I mostly have red oaks of various types- southern, scarlet, maybe a couple more. One other question- what about the chainsaw bar oil? What 'flavoring' does that add? Or should I cut my cookies with something else?
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Raider Bill

I use all the above plus mesquite, grapefruit and orange.

Magicman,

My Son has a china berry tree, I'll have to give that a whirl.

CAz,

I agree! Grapevine sure does the trick! ;D

I think hickory and oak are probaley the most used wood.

One of my favorites is fresh cut oak.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Raider Bill

Here is a list of smoking wood I have. I'm not sure where I got it and quite possibly it could have been here.

The traditional woods for smoking are HICKORY and OAK. Here is a list of woods suitable for smoking:

ACACIA - these trees are in the same family as mesquite. When burned in a smoker, acacia has a flavor similar to mesquite but not quite as heavy. A very hot burning wood.

ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.

ALMOND - A sweet smoke flavor, light ash. Good with all meats.

APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.

ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.

BIRCH - Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry.

CHERRY - Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some List members say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.

COTTONWOOD - It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor. Use it for fuel but use some chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor. Don't use green cottonwood for smoking.

CRABAPPLE - Similar to apple wood.

GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.

HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. Good with pork, ham and beef.

LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.

MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.

MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning.

MULBERRY - The smell is sweet and reminds one of apple.

OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs, WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game.

ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT - Produces a nice mild smoky flavor. Excellent with beef, pork, fish and poultry.

PEAR - A nice subtle smoke flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.

PECAN - Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with poultry, beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood.

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

WALNUT - ENGLISH and BLACK - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter woods like almond, pear or apple. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.

BBQ List members report that wood from the following trees is suitable for smoking: BAY, CARROTWOOD, KIAWE, MADRONE, MANZANITA, GUAVA and OLIVE. The ornamental varieties of fruit trees (i. e. pear and cherry) are also suitable for smoking.

Other Internet sources list the wood from the following trees as suitable for smoking: BEECH, BUTTERNUT, FIG, GUM, CHESTNUT, HACKBERRY, PIMIENTO, PERSIMMON, and WILLOW.

Lanier_Lurker

One wood that I have not heard mentioned that I intend to try is sourwood.  When I cut up some green sourwood about a year ago the the smell was a pleasant surprise.  My hope is that it would be good smoking wood.

Three other species I want to try are sassafras, hazel alder, and yellow poplar.  I have weedy hazel alder down by the lake that has to be cut back every now and then.  And my yellow poplars routinely drop limbs on the deck, cars, driveway, and even me if I am not careful.

Yes, using green hickory nuts is hit or miss.  Not sure if big fat mockernuts or little small pignuts are better.  I think the key with hickory nuts may be good containment of the smoke since they don't seem to put off as much as the wood for the same volume of material.

zopi

I did a rare smoked beef roast the other day, used hard maple sawmill scraps (on topic content!)
and some hickory lumps...was a nice mellow smoke flavor..

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Raider Bill

Zopi, what cut of beef did you use?
For smoking I prefer a nice fatty chunk.

WH_Conley

My preference is hickory, in small amounts. If in doubt, use sasseyfrass, if you over do it, it is very forgiving. The oaks and hickory are not. Fruit wood is always good. Every wood mentioned will give good results. Worst thing is to over do it. Don't get carried away with the "smoke", it should be a "hint", not overpowering. Now, where is the taste testing? :D
Bill

Raider Bill

I agree many use way too much smoke. I know I used to but was set straight years ago. guy was right. In my smoker 4 oz's is a lot of wood.

zopi

Quote from: Raider Bill on September 10, 2009, 09:31:28 PM
Zopi, what cut of beef did you use?
For smoking I prefer a nice fatty chunk.

just a big blade roast...wasn't a very good cut, but slow cooked rare and with some middlin' sweet sauce to wet it down some...good stuff..

I haven't smoked with sassafrass...but I have put file in north carolina sauce...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!