iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chili con carne - which one to get?

Started by tonich, October 09, 2009, 09:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonich

You see... I can't prepare it myself at home.
I guess, I have to look for a ready, canned one.
What brand to look for and in which store?

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!

Tom

I don't eat much canned chilli because it's so easy to make at home.  But I have eaten Hormell's and it is pretty good. You can get it in most large groceries.

The good deal is Wendy's chili, from the hamburger stand, "Wendy's".   It's a buck a cup and two cups is pretty filling with crackers.  You can get "spicey hot" seasoning to go with it too and add it to taste.  I'd rather get it than open a can.

WH_Conley

Tom hit the nail on the head, just ask for extra seasoning.
Bill

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

tonich

Tanks, Tom!  :)

Quote from: Paul_H on October 09, 2009, 10:22:26 PM
Toni,

why can't you prepare it at home?

Google tells over 1001 recipes ( :P), I am not confident.  ::)

Paul_H

I've got a simple one somewhere here.It's the kind I've eaten since I was a kid.I'll go look.

Paul_H

Ok,here goes-

1 lb hamburger             2/3 cup water
1 onion                        1 tsp salt
1 thsp oil                      1-2 tsp chili powder
1 can kidney beans       1 tsp vinegar
1 tin tomato soup

Brown meat & onions and add all ingredients,
simmer - stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes till desired consistency.

Simple but tasty,good with a peas,bread and a dollop of cottage cheese on the side.

ScottAR

If you can brown meat and boil water, you can make any chili on
this earth.  Paul H's recipe is very similar to mine. I usually add some
Cumin and orageno (sp?).  Sometimes a little cinnamon for a
"what is that?" taste.   

At the house we usually serve with cornbread.
One piece broke up in the chili and one to help load the spoon.  ;D

That said, Wendy's and Steak and Shake make good chili when
eating out.

Hormel makes a good one, Wolf is good as well.  I got some that
came in a jar once but I can't remember the name.  White label.

Canned chili is mighty good on hotdog and/or mac 'n cheese.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Norm

Paul's recipe is pretty close to the one I make too Toni. If the hamburger's greasy I'll drain it off after browning the meat, if not I like the flavor it gives. Give it a try and you'll never buy canned again.

pappy19

After trying all sorts of chili recipes, I found that the Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm chili mix is the best I have ever tasted. I use it for all of my basic chili , except I use 2 cans of stewed tomatoes and a can or 2 of kidney beans. I also use fresh chopped onions and garlic instead of the dried ones in the package.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Raider Bill

Chili over pasta noodles  YUM YUM!!!!!!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

tonich

Quote from: Paul_H on October 10, 2009, 12:04:48 AM
1 lb hamburger        

Don't know that one.  ::) :P
I usually buy lean ground beef from The Real Canadian Superstore. Hope it will work as well.

Norm

tonich

Thanks everyone!
Sounds like a piece of cake, I will give it a go!  8)

sawguy21

What Scott said. We never buy the canned stuff, it is too easy to make and turns out a little different each time.
Paul's recipe is similar to ours but we use the Clubhouse spice mix from Safeway and add fresh tomato for added flavor. Mushrooms and garlic work well too. Brown the onions, garlic, and 'shrooms with the meat before adding the other ingredients.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Toni 1 lb is 450 grams. Hamburger is ground beef. That's the German in our English. :D Other than that, I don't know what you meant. But, I always buy lean hamburger (ground beef) as well. It's not that difficult to stir up.  ;)

Go to McDonald's and it's a hamburger (ground beef patty on a round sesame seed coated bun), known as the Big Mac. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tonich

In Europe "Hamburger" = Big Mac.
Ground beef is always... ground beef.  :D :D  ;)

Texas Ranger

If it's got beans, it ain't TEXAS chili. >:(
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

If it's Chili without beans, it ain't chili.  :D

Chile con Carne
chile with meat

Naw, I'm just puffin', but I do like beans. :)

Mooseherder

This thread inspired me to make a pot of Chili today and it is DanG good. :)
I started by doubling Paul's recipe.  Added some Celery, Bell Pepper, minced Garlic, a Diced tomato, a half can of Rotel and some sliced portabello mushrooms.  I also had two kinds of Beans in it.   The pot WAS full but ain't no more. ;)

Norm

It did me too.  :)

I tried a batch that you take a chuck roast, cube it up, brown it and use a normal chili recipe. Man is it good, I'm having seconds tonight. 8)

tonich

Quote from: pappy19 on October 10, 2009, 10:46:57 AM
After trying all sorts of chili recipes, I found that the Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm chili mix is the best I have ever tasted. I use it for all of my basic chili...

Today I spent almost an hour in our local Safeway, staring at the chili related items and found NOTHING!
I asked about a dozen of costumers, involved two associates in the search and still NOTHING. Finally, the staff came into conclusion that they probably don't sell this item.  ::) :o >:(

pappy19, could you please paste a picture of "that thing" here!

PS. SwampDonkey, you see, life is not that easy here!  hurt_smiley  ;D

ScottAR

Google is wonderful...  Amazon.com/ and soupsonline.com/
Both list Wicks' chili mix.  12 count box though.
At least you'd know what it looks like.
I can't post a direct link (rightly so) but it's there.

The ingredients list looks pretty much like most chili spices
in use these days.
Chili Pepper, Masa Flour, Salt, Onion, Cumin, Paprika,
Red Pepper, Oregano, Garlic.

William's also makes a good one. Silver pack with black label.

If it isn't pretty easy to find the mix, I'd probably just wing it
with the above as a guide.  Taste periodically, and add as you go.
One of the nice things about chili is that it takes at least 45 minutes
or so to cook to "real good" status so you have time to alter if
some thing doesn't taste right.  Easy on the salt till near the end. 

I now feel the need to comment on the greatest thing about chili.
The rules are: there are no rules.  You decide how it tastes, how it
feels, how hot it is, and what is in it.
Beans, no beans, bell pepper, no bell pepper.  Doesn't matter.
The only thing that matters is what you want.  The taste of my typical
chili varies greatly on what is in my cabinets that day. 

"No peppers? No Onions?....  Jar of salsa! Now we're cooking! And
I didn't have to run to the store."  Just an example.

Caution! these kinda thoughts kept me out of all the good schools... ::) ;)
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

tonich

One thing you are right about: Google is wonderful!
Took me some time to realize it, due to the fact I was pretty much sure, the package were waiting for me patiently on the Safeway's shelf.  ::)

SwampDonkey

Some of those stores have it prepared in their deli section Toni, some may even be frozen. I have not seen anything in the dry goods section or canned chilli. You just have to purchase the ingredients and start dicing and mixing. Oh, and if you want real chilli pepper spice visit a spice store. Those grocery stores like here sell a concoction of simulated chilli pepper spice that has no effect on the mouth at all. Seems like paprika, garlic powder, ground red pepper and salt is their version of chilli spice. It's unlawful. ::) Real hot chilli is orange.

real hot chilli powder

weak fake Townhouse brand stuff. ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

Reading this series of posts reminds me that some of us are full of beans, and need to stand at a distance, reminds me of Blazing Saddles. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Roxie

I tried this "Wendy's" Chili recipe and loved it.  Serves 8.  This freezes well too.  I did throw in some finely chopped green pepper too.

Ingredients:
2 pounds Ground beef
1 can (29 ounce size) tomato sauce
1 can (29 ounce size) kidney beans w/liquid
1 can (29 ounce size) pinto beans w/liquid
1 medium Onion, diced
2 Green chili, diced
1 Rib celery, diced
3 medium Tomatoes, chopped
2 teaspoons Cumin powder
3 tablespoons Chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
2 teaspoons Salt
2 cups Water

Directions:

Brown the beef and drain the fat off. Crumble the cooked beef into pea size pieces. In a large pot, combine the beef plus the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook stirring every 15 minutes for 2-3 hours.
Say when

Tom

Beans, Beans, the musical fruit
the more you eat, the more you toot
the more you toot, the better you feel,
so, eat beans for every meal  ;D 8)

pappy19

Quote from: tonich on October 11, 2009, 09:28:16 PM
Quote from: pappy19 on October 10, 2009, 10:46:57 AM
After trying all sorts of chili recipes, I found that the Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm chili mix is the best I have ever tasted. I use it for all of my basic chili...

Today I spent almost an hour in our local Safeway, staring at the chili related items and found NOTHING!
I asked about a dozen of costumers, involved two associates in the search and still NOTHING. Finally, the staff came into conclusion that they probably don't sell this item.  ::) :o >:(

pappy19, could you please paste a picture of "that thing" here!

Actually, I had run out of my stock of Wick Fowler's and found it on amazon, of all places. I ordered a case (12) of them and give a few away when someone says" what is your secret? I want your recipe!!" and then I give them a box. Here is where I bought my last batch-

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wick+fowler%27s&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3029121471&ref=pd_sl_1qa6ysbhwr_b

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

tonich

LeeB

I had two big bowls of venison chili tonight done with sliced and chopped meat like Norm does with chuck. Yum yum.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

tonich

I have my first Chili ever completed!

I have followed Paul's directions, but have added 1 fresh tomato for flavor richness. I have used ready McCormick Club House chili mix from the local Wal-mart. Even my son (age of seven) was happy with it!

I can do chilli ME!  8)

Tom

Way to go Tonich!!

You've joined the great Forestry Forum food-in-every-thread club.  :D

Norm

SwampDonkey

So I guess we can name him Chilli Willie now.  ;D

It was a cartoon show of a penguin, for kids on TV, Toni. ;)

WDH

Toni, I have enjoyed reading this thread!  Now, I need to leave for a while an go make some chili! 

When it gets cold, we have it once a week with corn bread.  My wife makes it with ground venison. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tonich

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 14, 2009, 04:44:53 PM
So I guess we can name him Chilli Willie now.  ;D

Here you go: 

Danny,
I have missed the corn bread!!!  :o :( >:(

SwampDonkey

I have cornbread every day. ;D I put blueberries in mine when I bake. I drop it into a dish of apple sauce when I go to the woods.  :)

I use the fine Purity cornmeal. The cereal type cornmeal is too course and feels like a mouthful of bird seed if used in cornbread unless you cook it like cereal on the stove first.  ;)

It was an old tradition to have cornbread or steamed brown bread (made from cornmeal and molasses) with home baked beans (soldier, yellow eye, Jacobs Cattle, calico) and dipped in molasses. People seemed to like molasses better than maple syrup on their corn bread.

WH_Conley

Have always loved good cornbread. Consider myself an expert on the good stuff. Best I ever had was from a small town festival. There was a guy there with a grist mill on a trailer, powered buy an old hit and miss engine. He had shelled corn that was fed in the hopper and meal came out the other end. Put in little bags with a recipe attached. My wife still has the recipe, wants more meal. My Sil showed me an old mill at his mother's home place. SAME IDENTICAL MILL. Won't let it out of that old shed. She better put it in her living room or "somebody" might steal it. ;D
Bill

ScottAR

Cornbread might be the finest bread on the planet...

I make mine with buttermilk and roasted garlic pieces or garlic powder.
Finely chopped jalapenos are good too. 

Don't forget a pinch of salt. 
Scott
[Magicman]

pappy19

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

tonich

Quote from: pappy19 on October 12, 2009, 07:38:02 PM
Actually, I had run out of my stock of Wick Fowler's and found it on amazon, of all places. I ordered a case (12) of them and give a few away when someone says" what is your secret? I want your recipe!!" and then I give them a box. Here is where I bought my last batch-

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wick+fowler%27s&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3029121471&ref=pd_sl_1qa6ysbhwr_b

Looks like they do not ship to Canada... 
Here is the message from Amazon:
"Important Message
Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm Chili Mix, 3.625-Ounce Packages (Pack of 12) cannot be shipped to the selected address
"
::)

Norm

Toni if you look at the package it doesn't have anything in it that you can't buy at the local safeway. If you need any help with what the ingredients on the package are just let me know.  :)

SwampDonkey

If you have a post office box, many outfits won't ship to them. An apartment or house address will get around that. There is an Amazon.ca but they aren't like a department store like in the US, just carry audio/video/books/games/software/electronics.

Here is a recipe from Bicks Pickle company, using their sweet corn relish.

http://www.bicks.ca/en/recipes_sub.aspx?rid=136

Raider Bill

What's a Safeway? Is that like a Publix?

Paul_H

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 16, 2009, 06:26:43 PM
What's a Safeway? Is that like a Publix?

It's a large grocery chain.It's in BC and Alberta and probably all of Canada(?)

tonich

SwampDonkey

It's not back east here, we have Superstore (Loblaws), Coop and Sobey's. I do my banking through Loblaw's President's Choice. Save Easy in small towns is also a Loblaw's outfit, ValueFoods in small towns is a Sobey's outfit as well.

Raider Bill

I remember Loblaws growing up but think they pulled out of the area [upstate, ny] many years ago. Publix is our biggest around here. Albertsons just left, Winn Dixies and Sweetbay are smaller ones. Publix is expanding north I've heard they are in Tenn now.
They've been building Walmart food stores lately, just grocery I think to try and get a monoply going in that direction in the areas that won't allow the super centers.

Got Ingles, BiLo and Piggly Wiggly in Tenn.

Norm

If I remember right safeway is more to the left coast. We have a regional chain called HyVee. They are overpriced and crappy quality but the old goobers love it because they give cheap deli meals. They move into a town with real low prices until they run out the competition and then jack the prices back up.

I shop at either Sams Club or a small regional grocer called Fareway.

Raider Bill

I've been to a HyVee in Fairfield Iowa. First time I ever saw liquor sold in a super market.

Patty

Most of the grocery stores carry liquor now. HyVee has run most of the mom & pop liquor stores out of business in the towns they are in. We Iowan's do like our liquor.......the winters are long and dark and cold. Perfect for hot toddies, peppermint schnapps and beer.  ;D

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Patty on October 17, 2009, 10:14:20 AM
Most of the grocery stores carry liquor now. HyVee has run most of the mom & pop liquor stores out of business in the towns they are in. We Iowan's do like our liquor.......the winters are long and dark and cold. Perfect for hot toddies, peppermint schnapps and beer.  ;D

say it ain't so..........

beenthere

A far cry from the days in IA when liquor was only sold in State owned liquor stores. And a small liquor book was carried with each purchase hand-written for a record. Maybe it is still true, but the liquor/beer/wine could not be purchased on Sunday (used to catch me when visiting in-laws).
I miss the old town grocery store with the squeaky wood floors and Mom & Pop running the place.

Good thread on the Chili con carne too!!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Liquor, beer and spirits is only sold by a crown corporation (NB Liquor Corporation) and it is open Sundays 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm. There have been a number of new stores opened up right beside the new 4-lane exits to make sure all the drunk drivers get stocked up.  ::) :-X Drinking and driving seems like drinking soda pop to those that do it, cans and bottles all over these back roadsides. Always someone out collecting them for deposit money.

pappy19

Quote from: tonich on October 16, 2009, 02:37:34 PM
Quote from: pappy19 on October 12, 2009, 07:38:02 PM

Looks like they do not ship to Canada... 
Here is the message from Amazon:
"Important Message
Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm Chili Mix, 3.625-Ounce Packages (Pack of 12) cannot be shipped to the selected address
"
::)

Send me a pm with your address and I'll send you a couple packages.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Patty

Iowa changed the law back in the 1980's so anyone with a license could sell liquor, and the state owned stores closed down. I think it was late 1980's when they opened up the market for Sunday sales as well. God Bless America!!  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Mooseherder

We had some Chili left over and used it for some Wrapped Burritos with Rice.

Mmmmmmm...good. sketti_1

SwampDonkey

I'm baking a none traditional pizza right now with home made crust, black beans, onion, fresh corn off the cob, Jalapeno, bell pepper, mushroom, chili seeds, cheese.  Mmm mmm mmmmm  Some good stuff!!  Top that off with some real black berry juice from a glass bottle. Of course served in a glass. 8)

SwampDonkey

Yeah Patty I don't know why government has to be involved. They still collect the tax. Of course it doesn't bother me one way or the other since I ain't buying it anyway.  ;)

tonich

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 18, 2009, 12:19:19 PM
I'm baking a none traditional pizza right now with home made crust, black beans, onion, fresh corn off the cob, Jalapeno, bell pepper, mushroom, chili seeds, cheese.  Mmm mmm mmmmm  Some good stuff!!  Top that off with some real black berry juice from a glass bottle. Of course served in a glass. 8)

It doesn't count, unless you show us pictures.  ::) ;D

SwampDonkey

Almost too late, it was sliced four ways and 3 went down my stomach. ;D

Here's what's left and wrapped to go to Vancouver.

Suppose it will make it? Nice raised crust to. mmmm ;D

tonich

Not bad, but.... ah... we need a new, smell plug-in for the forum to make it complete.  ::)
I'll talk to Jeff!  8)

tonich

Who said my chili does not exist?!  ;D

8) 8) 8)

ScottAR

Good looking chili!! 

Don't leave wooden spoons in cooking liquids lest
the liquids taste like spoon.  HTH
Scott
[Magicman]

SwampDonkey

Quote from: ScottAR on October 23, 2009, 02:08:26 AM
Don't leave wooden spoons in cooking liquids lest
the liquids taste like spoon.  HTH

:D :D

Taste like popple Toni? ;)

Here's a proper place for that spoon. ;D

tonich

The spoon was in the pot just for while I was taking the picture. ;D ;)

WDH

Looks good!  I am sure that it tasted good too  8). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nas

Sawguy21 helped you with that didn't he? ;)
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

sawguy21

I can only wish, I really enjoy good chili. Speaking of liquor sales, I saw a good one in the sleepy metropolis of Willow Creek CA, just east of Eureka. The general store had a long counter just inside the door, first was the proprietress with the till and the liquor on a shelf behind her. Next was a glass case with assorted fishing gear then one filled with handguns.What's the gig here, I kick in the glass then hold you up for bottle of whiskey? :D

WH_Conley

Pretty sure by the time ya kicked the one in, she would have had one in her hand, and it would be loaded. >:(
Bill

sawguy21

Very likely.  :D We had a nice chat about it. I was truly amazed, had never seen that before or since.

SwampDonkey

Pistol pack'n momma from the wild west. :D

olyman

Quote from: Norm on October 17, 2009, 08:53:23 AM
If I remember right safeway is more to the left coast. We have a regional chain called HyVee. They are overpriced and crappy quality but the old goobers love it because they give cheap deli meals. They move into a town with real low prices until they run out the competition and then jack the prices back up.

I shop at either Sams Club or a small regional grocer called Fareway.

fareway= less cost than hy-vee, and better quality.

Kansas

I am suprised at the negative comments on Hy-Vee. They just moved in to this area about a year ago, opening a store in Topeka. Their prices are a little higher than Walmart, and about comparable with Dillons-which is the same as Krogers. They have the best selection of seafood and meat, along with fresh veggies and fruit, of any store I have ever been in. By far the best service I ever saw in a grocery store too. If you even look like your lost, someone is right there to ask you what your looking for. Of course, this store is new, and absolutely massive in size. Or maybe it was that walleye I bought there and grilled up one Sunday that has me liking them.

Slabs

Quote from: Texas Ranger on October 12, 2009, 09:39:43 AM
Reading this series of posts reminds me that some of us are full of beans, and need to stand at a distance, reminds me of Blazing Saddles. 8)

Hey Ranger.  That scene in Blazing Saddles is available as a video clip at one of the Slim Pickens websites.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!