iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Commercial Thinning

Started by Ken, May 08, 2014, 10:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

We've spent the past couple of weeks doing a commercial thinning in a stand that I pct'd in 97 or so.  The pics don't show it but the stand has a high proportion of 35 year old yellow birch.  Haven't got the numbers yet but estimated about 7-8 cord/acre removal consisting of softwood pulp and studwood as well as poplar and some firewood.  Decent job for this time of year as it is alongside a public road so no mud or access issues.

It is not all fun and games though.  Broke a track pin walking back out to road.  While beating new pin in a small 1/4" x 1/8" sliver broke off and went into my arm.  Spent several hours at the hospital until doctor decided it might be better to just leave it in there.  it is lodged in the muscle of my forearm and is very sore.   

Lots of toys for working in the bush

beenthere

Great pics. Thanks

But
QuoteIt is not all fun and games though.  Broke a track pin walking back out to road.  While beating new pin in a small 1/4" x 1/4" sliver broke off and went into my arm.  Spent several hours at the hospital until doctor decided it might be better to just leave it in there.  it is lodged in the muscle of my forearm and is very sore.   

That is easy for him to say. Puzzling why, but prolly can't second-guess the Dr's decision... Hope it heals good and doesn't keep you from working that job.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chester_tree _farmah

Awesome.

Sept for the sliver. Can u get a second opinion up there? I would. Just doesn't sound good to me....
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Ed_K

Get it taken out,i have a piece in a finger and it bugs me knowing it's there.I'm all the time rubbing it to see if it has moved.
Ed K

thecfarm

A MRI will get it out.  :o ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Clark

That's an interesting thinning project. What are you removing and what are you trying to favor? How far apart are the skid trails in the stand?

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Ken

Quote from: Clark on May 09, 2014, 05:39:12 PM
That's an interesting thinning project. What are you removing and what are you trying to favor? How far apart are the skid trails in the stand?
Clark

We are removing anything on the trails which I try to keep at about 4m wide or so.  The trails are about 22m apart.  The goal is to favor as much yellow birch as possible. 

Atlantic Trader

Ken
Did you
goto UNB if so what years ? I was at Ranger school in 90-91.

treeslayer2003

i have a sliver much smaller than that in my hand, it bugs the crap outta me. if i could get it out i would.

Ken

Quote from: Atlantic Trader on May 12, 2014, 08:42:40 PM
Ken Did you goto UNB if so what years ? I was at Ranger school in 90-91.

UNB grad in 97 after many years at the school of hard knocks

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on May 12, 2014, 10:43:43 PM
i have a sliver much smaller than that in my hand, it bugs the crap outta me. if i could get it out i would.

Met with a surgeon yesterday as I still cant open my hand.  Scheduled for surgery Friday to remove 6.8mm sliver and try to repair nerve damage.  Not a great start to the season

Offthebeatenpath

Good luck with the operation Ken.  The frustration of being injured is often much worse than the actual pain.  Sounds like that's an unpleasant one though.  Keep us posted.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Thank You Sponsors!