iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Podgers and offset pricks

Started by CTanner, December 07, 2018, 09:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTanner

Looking to get some podgers made and an offset prick.  Wondering if anyone has a source for these.  I have been contacting local machine shops with not much luck.  They are coming in very high, some over $100 each.

I am going to try a local technical school to see if it is something they can do. 

Also, input on the offset prick distance off center would be appreciated.  I was going to do 3/16" because that is what I saw on offset prick manufactured in England.  

Thanks for the input.

Brad_bb

I don't know what an offset prick is, but I had some material turned for podgers a couple years back.
Here was my drawing.  I think I had maybe $25 each or less in them.  The hole is for the the 1/2 inch rod I tack welded in.  I then had them Copper/Nickel plated to look pretty and fight corrosion.  I store them inside.  Also, where are you from?  You can put your location in your profile and it will show up on the left side when you post.  It helps people answer questions sometimes.  Then they know if you're in hardwood or softwood country etc...the weather/climate you're in etc.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Roger Nair

Hole alignment pins are available from McMaster-Carr.  Item #6055A2 1 1/16 dia.,  3/8 dia. point, 15" overall, 10" taper length, $17.10 each

Prick pins can be easily made from cylindrical pegs with an offset point pressed into the end and an indexing stripe end to end.  Bore the undersize hole and press in the point
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

CTanner

Thanks for the input Brad and Roger.  I live in CT.

Thank You Sponsors!