iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Equipment shed

Started by VT-Woodchuck, June 26, 2019, 05:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT-Woodchuck

I saw an article about building this about 8 years ago. I would read the article about once a year and kept saying I need to build this. Anyway. a large poplar blew down a year and a half ago and fit the bill. I could get a 14' clear log out of it - about 20' diameter. I milled out many 3/8" x 2" strips and completed the arches. Other than screws, glue and plastic the place is pretty cheap. My time isn't worth much! Hopefully, the plastic will last a couple of years and then I'll use something else. John is pretty happy to be under cover!

Dan_Shade

Where did the plan come from, I like that idea. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

RAYAR

I remember seeing this a few years ago. Possibly in Montana or that area as a shelter while building his home. Seems to me he used plywood for the arches.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

mitchstockdale

I am wondering whether your could get some steel roofing to bend around screwing as you go without kinking it... ???...doesn't seem like too bad of a curve.

VT-Woodchuck

The author of the article was Ben Hoffman and I think it was in a Sawmill & Milling magazine. If I decide to put roofing on, I'll run it horizontal. Plywood was suggested as a possibility but I had the poplar and a sawmill, so that decided it.

DARRELL1972

Can you post a pic of how the arcs are connected to center
95lt40hd
74 8k windham forklift
2018 eg100

Jwswan

In the wooden boat community, these have been around for a long, long time.  I've built a couple over the years to cover projects at my shop, and always wanted to really take the time to build something that gets a permanent plywood sheathing.  Anyway, I'd highly recommend David Stimson's plans. They're really helpful, even if one chooses to make some modifications, and he's got a nice book detailing the construction sequence.  No one selling plans is getting rich, so (i think anyway) it's also a nice gesture to throw him the 20$ or so for the plans.  It's money well spent, and keeps one out of the interweb vortex of videos and images trying to sleuth out the best option and in the shop actually building something. A time suck of which I am as guilty as anyone of falling into. 

https://www.by-the-sea.com/stimsonmarine/bowroof.html

( i think I linked that right). 
Keep 'em guessin'.

red

Search Cheap Roof Maybe member Hiya built a very similar shelter
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

VT-Woodchuck

Put together it's 18 ft long. The ridge on one set of two is 10ft and the other set is 8ft. On the opposing side, the first set is 8 ft and the other 10 so there is an overlap. When located correctly they are just screwed together. We started out as 2 idiots workers and luckily another guy just happened to stop by - good thing. I doubt two old guys could have done it without using up a years worth of swear words! It has survived a couple of rain storms and two thunderstorms.

hersnsh#590

If you use corrugated roofing, don't run it horizontal.  Don't ask.

Dale
TK 1600, small sugaring operation, a bench full of J'reds, a tired ford 1710, new to us JD 5065e, 2 Honda 4 whlrs, a Can-Am 580 on tracks, and a very understanding wife.

DMcCoy

Very cool.  From my years as a nurseryman I have a couple of comments.

Up near the ridge - between the ridge and the first purlin is where the snow will settle.  I have lost a few greenhouses over the years to snow and have learned my lesson expensively.  You can either lower that first purlin to account for some sag in the poly cover and/or use center bracing during winter.  AM Leonard sells an aluminum snow rake. I have one and use it too.  You have put a bunch of work into that structure.  It's disheartening to get up in the morning and find structures flattened.

They make a 4yr 6 mil. poly film for nursery use.  4 yr poly is UV treated and with my greenhouses in NW Oregon I can typically get 6-8 yrs out of a covering.  The UV rating must come from a equatorial desert.  It is pricey, I pay roughly $400 for a 48'x100' sheet.  Contractor poly is garbage in my experience, lasts  <1 yr.

Nice looking building!  It's also nice to see stuff built out of solid wood!

WV Sawmiller

I am real impressed with this design. I am wondering if anyone used corrugated roofing on it for covering and how that held up. As to the snow in Afghanistan we used a bull float (A concrete finishing tool with extendable aluminum handles that snap together to reach as far as you like) to remove snow off the fuel bladders. We could slide the bull float over the surface of the snow then when we pulled it back it would dig in and pull the snow with it. The fuel bladders were flat and horizontal and no way to safely walk on them. I would think with a sloped surface the snow would come  off even easier once it started moving.

Are the horizontal pieces made from 1X boards? Are the spacers just pieces of 2X4 or 2X6? Are they curved or just built straight then curved/flexed when you put them together.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

47sawdust

They are also referred to as Gothic arches.Good job on the build.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

curved-wood

Quote from: DARRELL1972 on June 27, 2019, 11:55:37 PM
Can you post a pic of how the arcs are connected to center
I've used similar structure for storing dry wood. It is a single layer of forenz that are bend against a wood frame that is used for shelfing. We have a good snow load here so the way to go is to have pointed arches (like in gothic architecture ) so the top have almost no snow load. I've played a bit with the curves just for the fun of it ( my nick name is curved-wood after all ! ). Done 6 years ago and cover once with a 6mil UV resistant Poly.I've put some old rag to avois the poly to tear on sharp edges. Very simple way of building .    Second picture show the way that I used to connect the top of the arches. 

Revival Sawmill

Quote from: VT-Woodchuck on June 27, 2019, 03:47:25 PM
The author of the article was Ben Hoffman and I think it was in a Sawmill & Milling magazine. If I decide to put roofing on, I'll run it horizontal. Plywood was suggested as a possibility but I had the poplar and a sawmill, so that decided it.
I'm not finding the article!  Do you have any more information about it?
Thanks,

VT-Woodchuck

Sorry, I have been off site fo a while. The website is  
https://www.sawmillmag.com/ And the issue is May/June 2010.

SawyerTed

From your other thread, I believe I saw this shelter in your winter post.  It appeared to have handled the snow ok.

Running metal horizontal shouldn't be an issue, my 30x48 shop building has horizontal metal on the roof and walls without a leak in 17 years.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Revival Sawmill

Quote from: VT-Woodchuck on December 08, 2019, 10:16:43 AM
Sorry, I have been off site fo a while. The website is  
https://www.sawmillmag.com/ And the issue is May/June 2010.
Thank you!!

Nebraska

How did you  make the jig to give you consistent bends? 

VT-Woodchuck

The link in the previous post has some pictures of the jig. Not as complicated as I head worked up in my head.

TKehl

Some of you may be interested in this LSU ag center print based on the Virginia State model.  Not a rounded roof, but looks like a bit simpler design with less bend to it.

Gothic roof laminated greenhouse frame
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

VT-Woodchuck

Woodpecker52

Good strong plastic is that used by farmers to store corn in the field, black on one side and white on the other.  They are strong as heck they hold acres on corn in long rows and cut open when grain removed and majority thrown away.  I use them as shed roof coverings and lumber covers when air drying.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Magicman

Here is a picture of what Woodpecker52 described above:

Filled with shelled corn.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!