iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Shed Layout

Started by TimW, July 07, 2019, 12:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PAmizerman

My plans for a future set up

Kind of modeled after this Baker setup
Baker Dominator Band Sawmill & reverse edger in action - YouTube
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

doc henderson

Hello Brandi.  I added links to a few folks I thought would chime in.  I am not sure anyone took photos specific to your request so it may seem like a lot.  I mill outside and have a wood shop so I have no specific pics I can send, but this topic has been talked about in the past.  If you have specific questions, keep posting and everyone will chime in.  I am a hobbyist sawyer/woodworker.  best regards
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Peter Drouin

Wood comes off the mill with the drag back.

Then the slabs go oneway flinch the other way.

Tale man can put them where ever stuff goes. Cut a bunch of lumber from the cant. push the pile with the drag back and sticker them.
Then edge em

The wind comes from the Northwest most times, The drying shed faces that way.

See how the back wall is. the wind blows through the lumber
The mill faces South for the sun to come in, in the winter.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

Peter has a great set up.
All built with wood except for the I beam header over the mill opening.
I'm hoping to get something built over the new mill this year.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

Snow is coming to Bruno.
I would like to get something over the Hot rod lift too,
But the snow will start to fly before I have time to get it up. maybe, I know a place where all the wood is piled up. :D ;)
If you have time get the lumber ready for the shed, so when you get the time it will be all dry and good to go. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Southside

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 10, 2019, 09:01:00 PMSnow is coming

Honestly, I would appreciate it right now if it did.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TimW

Quote from: WDH on July 08, 2019, 07:26:04 AM
My sawmill shed.

WDH,
      Your open design was what I was initially thinking about.  Where do you stow your blades and tools?
         hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 10, 2019, 07:05:05 PM
Wood comes off the mill with the drag back.

Then the slabs go oneway flinch the other way.

Tale man can put them where ever stuff goes. Cut a bunch of lumber from the cant. push the pile with the drag back and sticker them.
Then edge em

The wind comes from the Northwest most times, The drying shed faces that way.

See how the back wall is. the wind blows through the lumber
The mill faces South for the sun to come in, in the winter.
Thanks Peter.  How long are your extensions?  How long is the I beam and what size I is it?  I like the layout with the back wall storage.  How do you take care of the sawdust?

On your drying shed, what is the reason for the slatted back wall?
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: Southside on July 10, 2019, 10:35:15 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 10, 2019, 09:01:00 PMSnow is coming

Honestly, I would appreciate it right now if it did.  
I would settle for just a cold front.  Anything to blow this humidity out.
hugs,   Brandi

WDH

Brandi,

The sawmill is situated on the old homeplace where I grew up, so the old house is there, and although not really fit for habitation, I use it to store my stuff as well as a whack of dried lumber.  I have two of those sheds.  The other one is dedicated to air drying lumber.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nativewolf

@Peter Drouin :  question for you on your layout.  How large an opening does that steel i beam span?  Do you know offhand how large it was? 
Liking Walnut

TimW

Quote from: nativewolf on July 11, 2019, 07:55:27 AM
@Peter Drouin :  question for you on your layout.  How large an opening does that steel i beam span?  Do you know offhand how large it was
Yes, inquiring minds want to know.
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: WDH on July 11, 2019, 07:14:36 AM
Brandi,

The sawmill is situated on the old homeplace where I grew up, so the old house is there, and although not really fit for habitation, I use it to store my stuff as well as a whack of dried lumber.  I have two of those sheds.  The other one is dedicated to air drying lumber.
Thanks, but my question is about the drying shed with the slats for a back wall.  Why slats?  I am confused. ???
 hugs,  Brandi

TimW

TimW

Thanks guys.  I am getting lots of good ideas and learning stuff from Y'alls comments and photos.  Keep 'em coming.
hugs,  Brandi

YellowHammer

A drying shed has different requirements than a sawmill shed.  We have several air drying sheds, each is optimized for drying.  Air drying sheds require proper ambient airflow, non stagnant conditions, electricity for fans or blowers, open sides or gaps in the siding to promote airflow.  I've had one air drying area that ruined every load of wood I put there, and yet moved it 100 yards away, and it was perfect.  The position and effort put into the air drying shed depends on the quality of the finished lumber you want.  An air drying shed should be concrete or otherwise have a very flat surface for the stacked lumber, as the lumber will dry and pick up the shape of the ground it was setting on.  

Here is the simplest one we have, a basic metal garage structure, available cheap and erected by a contractor in a few hours.  It's on a hill, gets excellent airflow from all directions, and had hard tire forklift access.

A sawmill shed requires much more infrastructure, and hopefully room for expansion for future equipment.  Power for fans to keep personnel cool, sawdust extraction systems, preferably near your tools to help with maintenance. Nice to have multiple wind walls to keep the cold and rain off the equipment and when sawining.  Need room for staging logs, need room for a log deck, and need room to facilitate clean up.  Good to have running water, and an air compressor.  

Here is our layout.  It is fluid as new equipment comes on line, or gets uninstalled and removed.  It is more linear than boxy.  

We use an open ended barn, three bay structure, one for the mill, one for the edger, and one for the secondary processing equipment.  All bays and equipment can be run simultaneously or independently, so each is isolated by a wall. Notice the air compressor line and dust extraction hose.  Roller tables for slabs and flitches, and access from the side and end by loader or forklift.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

A better pic of the back wall.

This side facing do south, the North wind off my back this way. Use the wind to dry stuff and keep the sawdust out of your eyes.
YH I didn't think you- all had hills down there. :laugh: :laugh:

The door is 45' wide with an I-beam. It's big and heavy for the snow load up here.
An engineer helped with the size
Best you get one to tell you what size you need.
The guys down south can get along with the tin ones.  :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bruno of NH

Used bar joist work good for sawmill headers.
I have been on the lookout for one or 2
I might try building a warren truss. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

PAmizerman

@Bindian here is an example of a green chain in a nice setup.
The green chain is the piece closest to the camera that is transferring the flitches and finished lumber to the edger 
3000 bdft / 8 hr shift wood mizer LT40 G25HD - YouTube
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: PAmizerman on July 11, 2019, 08:41:43 PM
@Bindian here is an example of a green chain in a nice setup.
The green chain is the piece closest to the camera that is transferring the flitches and finished lumber to the edger
3000 bdft / 8 hr shift wood mizer LT40 G25HD - YouTube
Can I watch some paint dry instead? :D :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

TimW

Sorry for not asking more questions.  I had surgery on both feet Friday and am struggling to stay/get in/get out of the recliner.  Gonna be down 30 days.  Stitiches come out next Monday.
hugs,  Brandi

APope

Ouch! Get better quickly. Hope that it all heals correctly.
Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

TimW

Thanks Ahope.  I keep cutting logs and designing a deck for my friend's trailer and my mill shed in my head.  Just now getting cabin fever.
hugs,  Brandi

Thank You Sponsors!