iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Husky 272xp fuel tank leaks

Started by LorenB, February 23, 2009, 05:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LorenB

I recently discovered a leak from a crack in the fuel tank on my Husqvarna 272xp chainsaw. 

I am considering using JB Weld to epoxy it, but am also considering replacing the tank.  I have some questions. 

1. How difficult is it to replace the tank? 

2. I have found some aftermarket tanks that are sold as a kit.  That is, they come with the trigger mechanism, the rubber mounts, the fuel cap, etc.  It certainly would be easier to install one of these than to remove all those items from my original, leaky tank and move them to a new tank.  What is the quality of the aftermarket fuel tanks?  What is the quality of the parts that come in the kit?  For example, will the aftermarket trigger mechanism work as well as the factory one? 

3. If I have to change the tank by itself, how difficult is it to remove all the smaller items (like trigger mechanism) and move them to the new tank? 

4. A genuine Husky tank is almost three times the cost of the aftermarket one, and it doesn't come with the additional stuff.  Is the genuine Husky part worth the extra money? 

Thanks for any help you can give.  If there's anything I have forgotten, I would appreciate an education. 

Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

clintb

A soldering iron with a pointed tip will fix it, just like makeing a dotted line about half the thickness and go back and smooth it out.

LorenB

Quote from: clintb on February 23, 2009, 11:12:06 PM
A soldering iron with a pointed tip will fix it, just like makeing a dotted line about half the thickness and go back and smooth it out.

clintb,

That's a great suggestion.  I'll give it a try. 

Does anyone know what kind of plastic the tank is made of?  I was thinking I might even add some more, like filler rod for welding steel, but I want to be sure I use the right kind. 

Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

Thank You Sponsors!