iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bar/chain combo

Started by sbhooper, March 06, 2009, 10:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbhooper

I am considering buying a Dolmar 7900.  It looks to me like the bar and chain will be the same as my Husky setups.  Is this correct or am I missing something?  I am going to get it with a 20 inch bar.
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

656 International w/grapple
Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

Rocky_J

Yes, the Dolmar 7900 uses the large Husky mount bar pattern.

sbhooper

Thanks, Rocky.  Being able to use the same type of bar is a big plus.
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

bandmiller2

Hoop,would help if the bars and chains are the same gauge too,not sure what Dolmar uses.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Rocky_J

You can pick whatever gauge you wish. The saw doesn't care.  8)

sbhooper

Dolmar says 3/8 50, just like the Husky.
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

woodburner

Why are you getting a Dolmer instead of a Husky, I have never owned or used one, just curious. Thanks

sawguy21

Here,most larger Dolmars are going out with .058 because the bars are more common, that is what Husqvarna uses. We don't stock .050 bars in that pattern.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Rocky_J

The .050 vs .058 is a regional thing. Here in FL you'd have to special order a .058 because everybody stocks .050 (and the Stihl dealers stock .063). Therefore it's wise to choose the gauge most prevalent in your area.

I have one .058 bar I bought years ago. Once the first chain was worn out I had to swap the bar because I couldn't find any more .058 chain locally. Been using nothing but .050 ever since and the bar is still hanging in the shop.

sbhooper

Well, I was going to go with a Dolmar as the local guy that used to sell Husky gave them up because of bad support and changed to Dolmar.  He is rather frustrating to work with and does not have the big Domar saws in stock.  Based on dealer support I went out today and bought a new MS361 Stihl.  The Stihl dealer is great (they do everything from small engines to NAPA parts).  The other option that I had for Husky was a dealer 50 miles away and I have already had a bad deal with him, too.  I am just tired of dealing with the frutrations of the dealer issue.  My Huskies are both down right now due to some kind of carb issue.  I have had more problems in the last two weeks than the 11 years that I have owned a Husky.  The local guy told me he had the one fixed and when I showed up, he said that it suddenly was leaking gas, so I made the trip to get it for nothing.  Now my old saw is doing the same thing.  The only thing that I can think of is that when I pull the air filter to clean it, something is falling in the carb and choking off the fuel.

I am going to keep them both (a 257 and 359) as they have been great saws.  I have only had the 359 since last summer.  They are great saws, but I just thought that it was time to try something that had a dependable shop to go along with it since I am a mechanical idiot. 

The Huskys do hold up well when I get mad a throw them though :D
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

Rocky_J

Sounds like a fuel issue such as bad gas or too much ethanol in the gas possibly. Especially since it affected both saws about the same time.

sbhooper

I remixed the gas once and it made no diffference (it is real gas-not ethanol).  The guy working on the first saw said it was running good after he cleaned the carb, and then it started leaking gas which was probably something he did. Whatever the case, we will get it figured out and get them  back on line, but it is frustrating.  I just wish we had a better Husky shop and I would not even have considered  another saw. 
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

Thank You Sponsors!