iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Foley Circle Mill Parts

Started by homesteader1972, June 21, 2015, 07:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homesteader1972

Hello All,

A few jobs back, a customer gave me a Foley for a tip. Best tip yet. The mill is actually never been used. The smaller parts were stored inside and look new, but all the larger parts were stored outside and have some considerable rust. The carriage setworks has some small parts in it that are rusted beyond using or repairing. Does anyone stock parts (new, used, junkyard) for these mills, or is this something I will need a machinist for? I am in no hurry, but see it as a project this winter. Are there manuals available for these?

Thanks much.
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

dustyhat

Man, some people are just lucky, only tip i ever get is someones middle finger. im probly getting one now. but if you get tired of tinkering with it give me a shout :laugh:

Ron Wenrich

TimberKing has taken over the Foley-Belsaw sawmill.   They have some parts and manuals.  They're one of our sponsors on the left.  Give them a call and see what you can get.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

If bad comes to worse theirs very little on a belsaw a clever lad can't make. What do you have for a saw, inserted tooth I hope, I think most of the saws from belsaw were "B" pattern Simonds. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

homesteader1972

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 22, 2015, 08:21:37 AM
If bad comes to worse theirs very little on a belsaw a clever lad can't make. What do you have for a saw, inserted tooth I hope, I think most of the saws from belsaw were "B" pattern Simonds. Frank C.

It has an inserted tooth Simonds 40". Still in its original "box". It does have some surface rust, but doesnt look bad. Not sure of the pattern.
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

dustyhat

Theirs a manual on ebay for a m14  25 dollars , don't know if that helps or not.

Will_Johnson

TimberKing is no longer carrying parts for the M-14 mills. However we do have manuals -- and they are considerably less than $25.00!

Trapper John

Belsaw saws are B tooth pattern, 8-9 gauge and 9/32" kerf.  I have a manual and can copy if you need. 

bandmiller2

Will, would it be worthwile for you company to stock and sell Belsaw parts or is it the old liability thing. Frank C.

Lambee10

That was like winning the lottery!  Wow.

I have a manual also and would be willing to copy it if push comes to shove.  It is fragile but when I got my Belsaw it was in the NC woods for 15 years when a farmer and I pulled it out.  The farmer traded a pickup because the guy needed the truck more than the farmer needed the mill.  Never did anything with it but let trees grow around it.  I asked the farmer if he had a manual and he stood there for a bit, blinked his eyes, looked at me and said "ya know, I think I do have a manual"  We went in his work shop, uncovered a pile of stuff to get to an old chest from the war.  When he opened it up right on top was the manual.   8) 
How he remembered that was there I will never know. :D
All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

Russ

Whats the difference between the m14 and the m20 ? Can you power these off a reworked car powertrain ? If not whats the best power ?

moodnacreek

Bell saw's run backwards for a r/h mill. A tractor pto runs the right way and is the easiest way to power a bell saw. 50 to 65 h.p. is about right. Back in the day they where run with old car motors, sometimes with belt driven governors. Standard engines have to be turned around some how to belt up to the mandrel. I have never seen an M 20. In the early fifties they made some heavyer  models that didn' t sell. Bell saws can be fixed up and quite handy for 1 man and small logs. If only they had a better set works.

Don P

In the last few years of production Timberking made an M16 with 16' capacity vs the M14's 14' capacity. I'm guessing it was a 20' mill.

Diesel is a cheaper and better way to run if you can.

bandmiller2

Some folks have even coupled two carriages together and extended the track. Only thing you need is a longer cable. The limit is what we can turn and handle as a Bellsaw will not hold up to power log turners. Frank C.

moodnacreek

Frank, that's what I did with my bell saw, put 2 carriages together.  Did you read about the saw shop in N.H. that sells the Dexter file guide?  this must be the shop you asked me about concerning Dexter's hammering business.

jason.weir

Quote from: moodnacreek on May 13, 2018, 08:49:10 AMDid you read about the saw shop in N.H. that sells the Dexter file guide? this must be the shop you asked me about concerning Dexter's hammering business.

These guys I believe - The Saw Shop of NH Inserted Tooth Saw Blades, SimondsThe Saw Shop of NH Inserted Tooth Saw Blades, Simonds Saw Tooth Dealer

bandmiller2

There was a fellow in Williamsburg Ma. that was hammering saws that Bruce recommended I don't know if he's still at it. The guys in northern NH. are hammering but its quite a haul their almost in Canada. I had two saws serviced before Bruce retired and they are still running well. Moodnacreek  how do you turn cants on your stretch Belsaw. Frank C.

moodnacreek

Turning logs on bell saw; I had 2 wooden wedges about 12" high and I would turn down and shove back on with a real short peavey I made for that. That bell saw was modified a lot. I still help the current owner keep it going. With all the parts I have collected I am trying to put a lane set works on another bell saw carriage I have for my friend who has the bellsaw now.                                                            In 1996 I built a better sawmill around a Lane tractor mill and run that one yet.

mike_belben

Honda D, B, F and H series engines run reverse rotation.  Accord and prelude will have the bigger and very torquey 2.2L motors.  Old acura integra is also pretty grunty. Honda CRV as well. 

Theyre good for about 60-80HP in the 4000 rpm range and the dual point fuel injection models sip fuel (civic dx)  Very cheap to maintain, most common stocked auto parts in the world.   Id Find an old civic dx 4 speed car and weld the differential spider gears.  You could run one CV to power the saw and the other to run a gang edger with a roller racking to transfer boards across. Sawyer sends the log to the saw, helper feeds to side wood back to the edger and sawyer can plop it onto a pallet fork parked there.   

I wouldnt even take the engine out of the chassis, just sawzall the windshield pillars and floor behind the shifter, keep the hood and fenders to damper the sound.  ECM is under the passenger foot and must stay dry.  Fuel pump is in the tank so thats the only thing youd have to rig up to the front.  Theyre EFI after 88 and will start in the coldest weather, have obd ports for auper easy troubleshooting and just about anyone can fix em.   No filing points or playing with carbs etc etc.  Great cars.

Praise The Lord

Trapper John

Moodnacreek, I have been thinking the same about putting a better setworks on a Belsaw 16' carriage.  I am thinking of an American # 1 setworks.  Is this even possible?  Is the Belsaw carriage heavy enough for this to work and could the Belsaw carriage be strengthened to make it work?  I am thinking I would have a more useable mill if I could do this. 

moodnacreek

Trapper, One big problem is the clearance over the mandrel . I suppose a ratchet assm. mounted high and chained to the set shaft might work. There has to be a way to do this improvement.

Thank You Sponsors!