iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

my new toy

Started by LeeB, January 31, 2010, 12:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

I ordered this just before Christmas and finally got it a few days ago. Haven't had time to set it up due to the weather and other fun stuff till this morning. I also ordered a set of Robert Sorby chisels. What a joy they are compared to what I've been using and this althe beats my old Harbor Freight one by miles.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Don K

Nice Lee. You'll hate to leave to go back across the water now.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

fishpharmer

LeeB, Turning must be contagious.  Lately I've given some serious consideration to buying a lathe. 

DonK, that would look good in your new shop ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

jdtuttle

QuoteLeeB, Turning must be contagious.  Lately I've given some serious consideration to buying a lathe.
Me too :) What model # is your grizzly.
jim
Have a great day

pigman

That looks like the G0462 lathe. 16" X 43"   2 hp.  I have been looking at that lathe to replace my small 12X36 Jet lathe. Lee you will have to give us a report on how it performs. I know it is not a big One-Way or PowerMatic, but it is a lot cheaper too. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

metalspinner

8) 8)

Isn't it nice to upgrade a tool and feel your extra $$$ were justified. :)

It looks like the headstock swivels.  Is that right?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

sawwood

I have a club member that bought the Grizzly lathe and i had to help him set it up. They are a nice heavy lathe but there is one
thing i didn't like about. There isn't any hand wheel on the back side of the head spindle. small thing to fix. There is threws on
the inside of the spindle shaf that we are going to find a threwed allrod that isze and make a wood hand wheel/ will have to drill
a hole threw the bolt for the knock out rod. Then the speed changer didn't change so took the cover off the head and the
reveese pully was sticking to the shaft. After taking it apart the shaftb had some burs that i smothe down. put back togeather
and its working fine now. Sure hope you don't have this trouble with yours. I have a 14/42 Delta with the reveese pully  and
it is great to work with. You will find you will spend lots of time at the lathe and make lots of bowls and plates. Enjoy your
lathe and show us pictures.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

LeeB

Quote from: metalspinner on January 31, 2010, 09:27:05 AM
8) 8)

Isn't it nice to upgrade a tool and feel your extra $$$ were justified. :)

It looks like the headstock swivels.  Is that right?

Yes the headstock swivels. i haven't tried it yet though. My old one swiveled also but I rarely used it.

Quote from: pigman on January 31, 2010, 09:12:01 AM
That looks like the G0462 lathe. 16" X 43"   2 hp.  I have been looking at that lathe to replace my small 12X36 Jet lathe. Lee you will have to give us a report on how it performs. I know it is not a big One-Way or PowerMatic, but it is a lot cheaper too. ;D

GO462 is right. I have turned a couple of bowls so far. Nothing special. I made a hollowing tool and tried that for one of them. Got carried away trying to see how thin i could go and it discentigrated. The other one was only so/so. About par for my skill level. I really like the lathe compared to what I had. Much smoother and way less vibration.

Quote from: Don K on January 31, 2010, 03:43:50 AM
Nice Lee. You'll hate to leave to go back across the water now.

Don

What's the new lathe got to do with it?  :D :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!