iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

flooring input

Started by woodmills1, February 02, 2010, 03:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

kathy and I are remodeling one of our upstairs additions to make a master bedroom.  We plan on TandG oak for the floor.  Here is a shot of what is up there now.  It is soft wood pine or fir with the large gaps shown.  My question is, put down tar paper and then the flooring or do I need to put a layer of plywood first.  the existing is pretty level, and I would renail it first, and make sure my flooring nails were at and reached the joists.  the oak will run in the same direction as the existing.

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

The red oak floors they put in here are put down without subfloor, just nailed onto the old spruce boards. But, I'm no flooring expert. Lets see what some other folks say.I'm pretty sure it was done the same at my uncle's place as he was putting in oak floors the same time as mom and dad. Had to keep up ya know. ;) :D His upstairs floors looks just like yours, except he tore up all the oil cloth and just painted the spruce boards brown. He says he likes them old boards a lot better. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

oil cloth, we used linoleaum here lol
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

beenthere

Pretty much depends on how springy you want the floor to be when you walk on it. Normal to put down a subfloor first, then the hardwood 25/32 flooring. Takes the spring out when you walk on it.

Is the pic the flooring, or of wall paneling?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Quote from: woodmills1 on February 02, 2010, 04:54:48 PM
oil cloth, we used linoleaum here lol

Your more modern.  ;D :D

There's no spring in these floors, but can't say there isn't a squeak here and there. Maybe a spring to my step, is all.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

backwoods sawyer

Running two layers the same direction is asking for a floor to roll. If the boards were crossing the one that are down it should be fine but having gaps running the length of the boards will allow them to cup. A ΒΌ" sheeting would help with this.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

pineywoods

re - oak flooring..Just finished putting oak t&g flooring down in an old mobile home, plywood floor. I used tar paper as a vapor barrier. So far it has not shrunk or bowed. Some things I would recommend

Beg, borrow, or steal a flooring nailer
Beg, borrow or steal a commercial floor sander
Keep board lengths under 4 feet
a biscuit joint in the ends helps
If you are making your own flooring, avoid using boards cut from the butt flare of a log
I quarter sawed mine, grain not as nice, but no splinters.
Floor boards need to be as dry as possible, then store in the same room where they will be installed for a week or so before installing.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Don_Papenburg

If you wish the flooring to run the same direction as the preasant flooring you need an underlayment .
However you could run them on a slight angle or 45 degree  without a underlay.
I would use screws to secure any underlay and the subfloor.   Do use PL Premium to stick down the underlayment also . Use at least four beads acroos the sheet  then screw it down
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

woodmills1

as I look at the picture it does look like a wall, here is a shot rotated 90 degrees

Brad_bb

My old farmhouse narrow board oak floors were laid on a subfloor of 4 or so inch wide fir boards that run 45 degrees to the joists(allowing the oak floor boards to run parallel to the rooms.  There are creaks in various areas(hallway especially).  I think the creaks come from the oak boards rubbing against each other as they flex.  They obviously are allowed to flex by uneven spaces under the floor or flexing of the fir subfloor.  So the trick would seem to be to eliminate the flexing?  I'm no flooring expert, I'm just asking the question.  It doesn't both me, but when I build my new house, I'd like to do what I can to eliminate creaking and make it solid.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

The flooring should run across the joists, with or without the sub-floor.

Try to run a drum sander on a floor where the flooring boards run parallel to the joists (with 45 deg sub-floor boards) and the high spots are on the joists with low spots between. Most of the sanding is then done with the edger to get at the low spots, and that is a ton of extra work.....I know  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don_Papenburg

Brad , If you want to eliminate sqeeks and creeks  you have to eliminate movement.    2x12 s  on 12" centers  screw down and use PL Premium to glue down the sheating   T&G  sheating that is .  Then strap the bottoms of the joists at least every four foot  to eliminate side flex  or tilting .  If a joist tilts a little it also drops down just a bit .   Ideal would be to glue and screw sheating solid on the bottom of the joist also making the whole floor into one big torsion box.  Truss joist would be a good alternative .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!