iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My moment of insanity... bought a Husqvarna 390xp

Started by ManjiSann, September 19, 2019, 05:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManjiSann

Went to help a neighbor drop a little aspen tree that had died yesterday and noticed the screw and bushing on the recoil starter side of the chain brake were missing  >:( >:(  Fortunately I could borrow a screw from the recoil starter cover and temporarily loan it to the brake. Ordered new parts and when they come in I guess I'll clean the hole out real good then Loctite the chain brake screw in. A couple of the cover screws are vibrating out as well so I guess I need to go through and Loctite several of the screws so I don't run into this problem again.  

I've run the saw a bit now and I'm thinking I need to tune the carb just a bit. Sounds like it's idling a bit high once warm. Silly question but do you guys tune the carbs when the engine is cold or warm? I've been doing it once it's warmed up.

I'm happy to report the leak in the fuel tank seems to be behaving for now so while I plan to explore the best way to fix it I'm not stressing it right now. I'm thinking I'll wait until the snow flies and I'm not needing to use the saw and I'll try and fix it then.

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

Pine Ridge

Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Southside

My gosh you are getting after it. I mean the tree just died yesterday and you already cut it down!! How were you able to determine the time of death so accurately?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ManjiSann

Quote from: Southside on October 17, 2019, 09:51:07 AM
My gosh you are getting after it. I mean the tree just died yesterday and you already cut it down!! How were you able to determine the time of death so accurately?  :D
I may or may not have caused the death ;)  Heh, the tree was already dead, well dying, and I cut it down yesterday. Gotta love ambiguous language  ;D ;D
Brandon 

ManjiSann

I had an epiphany the other day about how I could fix the stripped hole that one of the 3 screws holding the plastic top cover goes in.

I took a 3/8 bolt I had lying around from another project that never went anywhere. I took some steel plate and drilled and tapped a hole for the bolt. Screwed the bolt in and then used a 5mm bit to drill as close to the center of the bolt as I could:

Unfortunately the drill press isn't perfectly square so the hole wasn't as perfectly down the bolts shaft as I would have liked  :( :( :(  I wish I had a lathe... that's a frequent wish I have. It was close enough for what I needed though, so a win for me and my limited machining tools  8) 8)

Anyhow once the hole was drilled I pulled the plate off the drill press and threaded the hole to the 6mm the stock screw is. And then using my trusty super accurate cut off tool:

I cut the bottom off the bolt and the head off the bolt so the remaining threaded part is only 1/2" long give or take a smidge. I then used a high speed cutoff wheel and ground a groove in the top of the insert I'd just made so I could fit a flat screw driver in it. Bit of a side note here, if you're going to follow this process make sure you thread the internal hole before cutting the head off the bolt otherwise it's really hard to thread as the insert will now just keep spinning down... I did the first one right and was going to make some spares but got a bit carried away and cut the bolt head off before I had threaded the internal hole and then while trying to thread one of the spares I busted my tap  >:( >:( >:(  Oh well, I only NEEDED the one. 

I drilled the hole in the chainsaw out to the needed 5/16 to thread it to the 3/8's insert thingy I'd just made. That magnesium is sure easy to drill and tap!

Once this was all done I blew everything off and cleaned the insert with brake cleaner really good. I coated the external threads of the insert with red Loctite and screwed it in. I'll get a pic of the insert in tomorrow, forgot to get one as I was busy cleaning the excess Loctite up so it would't go into the internal threads... that would be BAD  :o :o :o  

Tomorrow after it has set I'll put it back together along with the new screw and bushing for the chain brake. I bought some Loctite tape to put on the screws to keep them from backing out. It's not as strong as blue Loctite, but pretty close. Prior to looking up which Loctite I should use I didn't even know Loctite made a tape so I'm really curious to try it out. I'm only going to put a small amount on it as I don't want to have to use too much torque to remove the screws but I also don't want them vibrating out on their own. 

In case anyone was wondering why I used a 3/8 bolt instead of something a bit narrower... it's what I had laying around and already had the needed drill bits and taps for. Something a bit narrower would have perhaps been better, I wouldn't go any bigger though as there wasn't a lot of metal left on the outer edge of the saw. 

Brandon 

ManjiSann

Nebraska

ManjiSann

Quote from: Nebraska on October 22, 2019, 06:17:18 PM
Thrifty ...Looks like it fixed the issue.
My Boy Scout training in action  ;D ;D ;D

I get to try it out today! Two more of those little pear trees to cut down for a neighbor. The trunks are maybe a foot in diameter and between 4 and 5 feet tall before they branch out so I am going to try and mill the trunks. Guess this weekend I'll be building that milling jig  8) 8)  I figure between the two trees and any milling I'm able to do in the next week I'll get a good chance to see how the fix holds up. I'm not expecting any problems with it.

Brandon  

gspren

Look up E-Z LOK threaded inserts, that's what you made.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Allar

Quote from: ManjiSann on October 22, 2019, 12:35:45 PM
Here's a pic of the insert I made

Brandon
Great minds think alike. I did exactly the same on my husky 353  ;D
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!