iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 250 Experience/Review

Started by JW IN VA, October 20, 2019, 05:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW IN VA

Almost a year ago,I was looking for a backup saw for my MS362 for cutting firewood,clearing fallen trees and whatever else is needed around the farm and home.
 I really wanted an MS 261 but it was hard to justify that much expense for a possible "beater" saw.I had an 026 once and it was great saw.
 I looked at websites of the various saws sold in my area and finally decided to look at an MS250 or 251.I also borrowed a friend's MS 250 and cut with it a few times.
 Went to one of the Stihl dealers and picked up the 250 and the 251 to compare.I was already decided on the 250 but wanted to be sure.
 The guy behind the counter looked over at me and said if he were me,he'd put the MS 251 back on the shelf and buy the MS 250.That sealed the deal.I bought it and the Ultra Mix I always use and headed home.
 The saw has been flawless so far.Keep it sharpened,fueled and fill with good bar oil and it cuts great for what I intended.No,it isn't my 362 in the bigger stuff and may not last as long if I used it every day but,it has done everything I asked of it and more.
 If someone's looking like I was,I recommend they look at his saw.Around 50.00 off now,too.

samandothers

Need to get my old 250 out and run it.  Been using other saws more recently and not started it in a little over a year.  Shame on me.

sawguy21

The MS250 is a real trooper. It is a light duty saw aimed at the weekend warrior but will last a long time with a sharp chain, reasonable maintenance and an operator who is mindful of it's limitations.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ellmoe

Just bought one yesterday for a mill saw . On sale at $299.00 . Plenty of power for what it needs to do and cheap enough to toss if a major problem occurs.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

MAF143

Being weekend warrior myself, I've been very happy with the MS250 I got new almost 2 years ago.  I've had a couple small issues, but those were self inflicted...

:-[
Always having a great day!
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

Al_Smith

The only one of that model I've ever been around is owned by my neighbor .For what it is it does okay .
He bought it used from a dealer .Prior to that he had loaned out a Makita (Dolmar ) about 54 cc and as usual it came back broken .I got  hold of Scott at ChainsawR and bought another lower end and rebuilt it for him .Moral of that story is don't loan your tools .
Since then the Stihl sits and the Dolmar carries the load .Which is not saying anything is wrong with the 250 it's just a slightly  more powerful saw was preferred .

firefighter ontheside

I've had my 025 for over 20 years.  I have used it a lot.  It's now my mill support saw.  Only trouble I had was about 7 years ago I had the carb rebuilt at a dealer.  It's a great saw and still very valuable to me.  A few years after I got mine my finally gave up on his old McCulloch and bought an 025.  When he squashed his 025, he bought an MS250.  Now he has repaired the 025 and uses both.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

ChrisRoss

I use my MS250 on weekend projects and tasks. It is powerful for occasional use. Perfect for demanding homeowner and large property owner.

BWeist

Put my MS250 to good use Tuesday cutting a bunch of Birch for our son's little stove.
6 - 12in Birch cut into 6in lengths - yes the stove is that small lol
Ran 4 tanks through it and made a lot of chips. 3hrs later and 4 tanks of fuel. 
Ran like a trooper. Love this little saw.

samandothers

Man, if you could compress the saw dust you'd have several additional pieces of wood!

Thank You Sponsors!