iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4/53 Emergency Shut Off ?

Started by Autocar, July 06, 2011, 02:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I don't have one on my motor but the mechanic that was here yesturday told me if I laid a clip board or something flat across the air cleaner intake pipe it would shut down. I pulled the air cleaner off and tried it ,but it kept right on running. Am I do something wrong and can someone tell me what the emergency shut off thing looks like ? I never gave it much though about a run away engine but from my understanding this will happen.
Bill

kiko

If equipted, the emer shut off will be located where the air intake goes into the blower. There will be a small lever to trip or to reset. All there is a flap that will shut the air off to the engine. If the clip board will not shut the engine down, the clip board is not sealing good or there is another way for the air to get into the engine. A runaway conditon can happen if the rack gets hung and does not allow the govenor to work. A detroit cranks with rack in the full fuel position. When hung it stays there. It could be from an improperly adjusted rack or one stuck fuel rod in an injector.

snowstorm

anything that shuts the air off will work. if its a turbo motor it may not have one

Dave Shepard

If blocking the intake didn't work, you've got a good size air leak would be my guess. I'd take a look, you don't want to suck a lot of dirt in.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

scsmith42

Looking at the blower from the top of the motor, there is a shaft that runs from the front to the rear of the blower.  Typically one end has a cable attached to it for an emergency shutoff, and the other has a trip release that you need to reset before the shutoff will reset itself.

I can take a photo and post it if needed.

SS
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

MaineLogger

Is this machine direct drive or auto?If its a an automatic I would have an emergency shut off.And sometimes even that won't stop them!
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

Autocar

Scsmith42 yes would you post a picture of the shut down mechaninism. This morning I covered another hole in the bottom of the air cleaner housing a three inch that dirt,bugs I guess fall out of. And took a two pound coffee can and covered the air cleaner intake, the motor slowed down but I couldn't get it to shut down. Mainelogger I believe your right ,I believe that if there was a run away there would be nothing a guy could do to shut it down, it is a automatic. Any other ideas ? or am I worrying about something that may never happen ?
Bill

lumberjack48

My C5 had a emergency shut off on the dash board.

My S8 power shift, Funk auto all so had a emergency shut off, when pulled it killed the motor right now.
I pulled the shut off on mine any time i left it parked, so if kids or anybody got the idea to start it, no luck.

We had the loader truck stolen off the job one weekend, some guys went for a joy ride, i had both skidders setting there, it was lucky i had pulled the shut offs, all they did was run batteries dead. The loader truck wasn't mine, they drove it wide open on till the motor blow up, it was about a 5000 dollar joy ride.

It would be scary not to have a emergency shut off on a Detroit, you can get a run away running out of fuel.

I've had a couple run aways, its on believable how fast they wind up, i was lucky i had the shut off, makes your hair stand on end.

Good luck with your new motor  Autocar
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

lumberjack48

Go to , [girl sucked in to car blower] on you tube

This is what a run away Detroit will do to you.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Reddog

I thought the E shutter valve did 2 things, one was for a runaway and the other was for being able to shut down a reverse rotation start up.

Sprucegum

. Any other ideas ? or am I worrying about something that may never happen ?

It's like life insurance - some people don't worry about it until they are dead  :)   ;)

No engines are allowed in the oil field without emergency shut offs period.

kiko

Autocar,  Sounds like you are trying to block the air with the air filter assy still on. If that is the case, and you don't have an emer shut down flap you may not be able to shut it down.  We always used the clipboard when running the rack with the air filter assy off or disconnected so the clipboard could be put over the air pipe directly.

shinnlinger

whats all this chat about a clipboard?  :) #1 how many folks have a clipboard in their skidder?  #2 who is going to be able rip the assembly off fast enough to put that clipboard on?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Dave Shepard

If you do have an emergency, and no shut off, start shoving stuff in anywhere you can get it. Shirts, coats, whatever, it'll stop sooner or later. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

scsmith42

Bill, here are a couple of pics of a Detroit with the emergency shutdown mechanism built into the intake.  On the right side of the photo, just above the alternator, is where the shutdown cable from the cab attaches to the engine.  (about 10" to the right of the red button, and slightly above).  Once the cable is pulled, a trip mechanism prevents the engine from being restarted w/o it being reset.  The trip mechanism is part of the cable attachment.

On the left side of the photo (6" to the left of the red button in the middle), is a lever that is used to reset the trip mechanism.

I placed a small circle around each one of these, but it's hard to see in the pix.   Hope this helps.

Scott

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

kiko

Just to be clear,  the clipboard is not for emergency. The clipboard is just for when the rack is being serviced so the engine does not run if you make a mistake or don't know what you are doing.

Autocar

Thanks everyone for your help, I believe I will try to locate a emergency shut down and put it on my motor. Thanks again for all the responces Bill
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!