iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM 7 degree blades

Started by 4x4American, June 08, 2015, 07:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

So I have pretty much only been sawing pine with these 7 degree blades.  Now I have a nice job coming up at the end of next week that I'll be sawing all oak.  He's got 50 big oak trees down so far, not bucked yet, and will be forwarding them to my mill.  I am going to try these 7 degree blades on this job.  Any of you have anything to say on these .055" 7° 1-1/4" blades for sawing oak?

I have 4° blades I can use too, but they saw kinda slow... I wanna be more like Mario Andretti, not so much like a tortoise.

Also, I have been in the process of converting my grinder to sharp these 7° blades.  It's looking like I am going to have to use the Cook's DuraTooth SS cam for it.  I can play with the rock best I can to get it to keep the profile, but getting it perfect is not gonna happen.  Anyways, what set are yawl running on this setup?
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

That's what I use for oak, 7° on everything.  :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bkaimwood

I only use 7/39's...never tried anything else...answer to previous question on how they work on pine...I saw ALOT of pine, and can't imagine anything being faster...heavy exit fray...doesn't bother me, just my dad...I think his OCD is worse than mine...
bk

Dave Shepard

I haven't been having too much trouble with the fray with the Turbos so far. It seems to be more related to speed and sharpness than band type for me.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bkaimwood

Hey Dave...I've noted that slowing feed rate decreases exit fray...but increases kerf marks...and vice versa... Have you tried or noted the same?
bk

4x4American

what are you fellers setting the 7 degree blades to?  im gonna start at .027"-.030" and go from there.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

also, anyone know what the slow speed chatter with these blades is particularly caused by?
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 4x4American on July 19, 2015, 12:46:03 PM
also, anyone know what the slow speed chatter with these blades is particularly caused by?

Slow speed. ::) :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

:D :D :D   Gee whiz who'd have thunk that!!!

I was wondering if if was the profile, the thickness, the set, the hook angle, etc..

Anyways, we don't have to worry about slow speed.  Today I was sawing some hard maple that's been down for a few years with my first of the resharps of these blades.  I practiced sharpening them on the 4 blades I have that have struck metal and are missing teeth, etc.  The first one was missing too many teeth and just gave me washboards.  The second blade sawed good.  The third blade also sawed good, and I was pushing it too hard in a wide-ish cut, and it popped off the backside of the bandwheels...BAM! it went..  It didn't break, just popped off.  And this is with 3100psi on the blade.  Then it started raining, gonna double check the tracking tomorrow.  Kinda chewed up my wheel belt a little bit, gonna try and get a new one from Napa tomorrow.  Anyone know which version is the right one?  They have a kevlar B57 and a non-kevlar B-57. 
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

It's my understanding that only WM B57s are the right belt. Not available elsewhere.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Yup, they are flat rather than crowned and have no splice hump.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

deadfall

What's the basic indicator for the time to replace those? 

Thanks in advance. 
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Magicman

Until they get cut by a broken blade or thin down until the blade is near the bandwheel.  Never allow the blade to actually touch/run on the bandwheel.  B57's can easily run a year or more.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

deadfall

I may have told you all this before: I have a less than perfect memory. It's been many years since I have seen what a new one looks like on the wheels.  "Near" is a relative term.  It's probably somewhere in the manual, eh?  I just noticed that the drive-side belt came off the wheel pretty easily the other day when I did my most recent blade change.  There's still a gap between the blade and wheels, but it didn't look wide. 

Happy for no reason.

4x4American

Thanks guys.

Deadfall, do you swap the belts each blade change?
Boy, back in my day..

deadfall

Quote from: 4x4American on July 19, 2015, 10:06:25 PM
Deadfall, do you swap the belts each blade change?

Errrrr...  Why do you ask?  Probably in the manual too, eh?

Happy for no reason.

4x4American

:D

It will help them last longer as the drive side belt wears faster than the idle side.  Unless you slice one with a broken blade like I did today, then it don't matter how new they are or how many times you swapped them!
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

I have not noticed any measurable difference in wear from one side or the other.  I flip them occasionally and have been known to even switch wheels with the B57's.   :D  Maybe I just do it to make the customer think that I know what I am doing.  Sorta like coiling blades.   ;D   :D   

Seriously, the recommendation is to flip and switch occasionally.   ;)

4x4American

:D

Yea I don't do it every blade change, but I do it on an every so often basis.
Boy, back in my day..

deadfall

Quote from: Magicman on July 19, 2015, 10:38:15 PM
Seriously, the recommendation is to flip and switch occasionally.   ;)

Doesn't include candidates for office, right?

I think these belts would be a part one should always keep two spares of.   I think I will order a couple (or four).  And I like saying "hi" to the UPS driver.

Happy for no reason.

Magicman

Oh yes, flip them too.   8)

deadfall

New page.  You probably missed all my witty edits.

Happy for no reason.

petefrom bearswamp

GMMILLS been away fishing.
I have both 7 34 and 7 39 blades mostly 7 34.
I have been sending both to re sharp.
Am going to bite the bullet after i get my inventory sawed forthge year and experiment with an old cam I have to try to sharpen these blades.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

4x4American

I had good luck sharpening them.  Just ordered another box of them today.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!