iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Western kentucky biluding codes

Started by towboat88, July 21, 2015, 04:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

towboat88

Anyone familiar with building codes in western kentucky regarding the use of rough cut lumber? I'm pretty adamant on cutting my own lumber for Various Projects including some or most of the wood I'll be needing for my home. Any help would be greatly appreciated an thanks In advance

Magicman

"Western Kentucky" might be too broad such as it would be here in Mississippi.  Our codes are county by county and city by city.  Sometimes inspector by inspector in a county or city.  One may say "OK" on an inspection and another may say "tear it out" on the next inspection.  Get it in writing.

Thankfully where I live and do the majority of my sawing business, there is no problem with codes.  Your blueprint must specify #2 and/or rough sawn lumber and be signed off on by the lending institution, insurance agent, and builder.

There is a current tread "New to the Milling"about this very question posted by a Mississippi member.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

towboat88

Thanks Magicman for the information I'll take a look at the post you suggested

bigred1951

Well as far as I know in eastern Ky out out city limits nothing is said against it. Pretty much build with what you want and have.

towboat88

I can only imagine that the code crap is about like the Permit shenanigans someone is Lining their pockets with some greenbacks. I'm in Davies co. An I have heard they're pretty strict but I should be able to label all my buildings agricultural I have over ten Acres

deadfall

Quote from: towboat88 on July 22, 2015, 09:42:30 AM
I can only imagine that the code crap is about like the Permit shenanigans someone is Lining their pockets with some greenbacks.

Another small trade of liberty for security. 

Bureaucrats are doing well by doing good.  How could simple politicians write these codes without the aid of the entities with sizable market share in those products to be regulated?  It's always been an open door to graft. 

It's always the story of why a dog will lick certain things.  It's because he can.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

gww

Deadfall
I either think like you or you think like me cause your conclusion is exactly what my conclusion is.  I remember dad telling me one time that they all lobbied that wiskey barrals could not be re-used.  He happened to be cutting stave bolts at the time.
gww

deadfall

It's only fair.  The whiskey can't be reused either.

Happy for no reason.

deadfall

I'm in deep trouble with spare time.  I followed MM's link back to "New to the Milling" and found another of his links to "Cabin Addition" and it's got me all the way to laying block (I used to do that as my day job) and I'm only on page 5 of 41, and I'm lysdexic.  Too much here to read.  I will saw today.  I will!

Happy for no reason.

Magicman

Cat gotcha tongue eh?  Da Forestry Forum is a slippery slope and addicting.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

plowboyswr

Quote from: Magicman on July 22, 2015, 02:03:32 PM
Cat gotcha tongue eh?  Da Forestry Forum is a slippery slope and addicting.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Ain't that the truth! :P
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Thank You Sponsors!