iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Florida oaks...no good for crossties?

Started by Bigdogpc, May 08, 2004, 02:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdogpc

In the ongoing effort to make a buck, I contacted a place about cutting crossties for them.  The guy says they won't buy Florida oaks as they don't meet their requirements.  What is different about Florida oaks?  

Fla._Deadheader

Probably can't drive the spikes into them ::) ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

shopteacher

Probably to old and tired. Them oaks are retiree's like the people that live in Fl. :D :D :D You shouldn't be cutting down AARP card holding trees anywho. :o
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

DanG

I haven't made it a practice to examine crossties, but all the ones I've seen around here are creosoted or pressure treated pine. I don't recall seeing any hardwood ties.  The RR that runs behind my house uses concrete ties.  I heard that this is the only line in Florida that uses concrete.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

The story I've gotten from the old-timers who cut them in the swamp was that they cut them out of anything that they could find, except cypress because it's too soft.  There were a lot cut from magnolia, black gum, sweet gum and other hardwoods.  It may nont be the case today.

I read an article awhile back that the concrete ties were being discontinued because of lack of quality.  It seems that they have found that the concrete doesn't take the day to day pounding of the rail cars like wood does.

Florida has also made an effort to go back to wooden bridges rather than concrete because of longivity and expense.  We small sawyers were hoping it would throw work our way but it hasn't happened.

Tracy

I put up a horse fence using crosties for post. The were of pine, oaks and other hard woods with even a cypress or two. My uncle cut a lot of cypress ties back in the 50s.

On the fla. oaks if I had to guess I'd say its the size and shape of the trees. South of Jax the trees start looking stunted and narly and get worse farther south to me which means stressed-croocked timbers after drying.

Timbo

The only thing that I find in Florida Oaks are the LIVE OAK . I have sawed some of these and the lumber is not very good. The other Oaks or good to saw. Such in the Red Oak Class ( water oak, cherry bark, ect) .

Thank You Sponsors!