iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sears Craftsman Professional 10" Table Saw Qs

Started by OneWithWood, January 27, 2006, 04:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Can't comment on the Sears stuff, my newest Sears power tool is from 1947 or so.   ;D  I also have a 10" Sears table saw from 1938.  I do know that I wouldn't touch the new Sears stuff, or anything newer than about 1960, with a ten foot pole.   I don't have a problem with foreign made, necessarily, but Sears is well know for proprietary stuff and false claims of performance.  If Sears says it has a 3 horse motor, it's probably a 3/4 horse or 1 horse "true" power.    Have to measure amps and not take their claim at face value.

Let's see, if I had to buy a new table saw.   ???  Probably be looking at a General 350 or 650, or a Powermatic 66, or maybe even a Unisaw.   Budget limited, I'd be investigating Grizzly or Shop Fox.    I have nothing against any of these manufacturers I listed, I have tools from Delta, Powermatic, Grizzly and Shop Fox right now.  I just got a brand new Grizzly 8" jointer and it is a very, very nice piece of machinery.  A little difficult to assemble, but fit and finish are excellent.  My table saws, besides the Sears one, are Unisaws from 1964 and 1997 so I'm somewhat partial to Delta (at least, the older stuff).

Might be worth your while to dig through eBay, craigslist.org, and local classifieds to find a used PM 66, Unisaw or even an older Boice-Crane or Walker-Turner cabinet saw that's in good shape.

D._Frederick

I bought a used craftsman 10 inch RAS that was made about early eighties, I soon found out that none of the swivel setting were correct, if you swivelled  the saw head 90 degrees, you had to get out the square and adjust it for that setting.

This was the first and last time I bought any power equipment that has the craftsman name on it. I bought a Delta 12 RAS that I use on anything to do with angles. It set-up is quick and its 1 1/2 hp motor cut thru 4 inch stock.

OneWithWood

Such great comments from everyone.  Thanks again.
I did a bunch of research on the Craftsman saw.  I really like the Biesemeyer fence and the saw seems to be well made - I just could not get past the small motor.  I even went to the store and droooled all over the display model.  I thought maybe I could upgrade the motor but the more I looked the more that little voice in my head said "if you buy this thing and it does not perform the way you need it to perform, you are going to be one very unhappy boy".  I thought about it all night.  I had visions of picking it up this afternoon on my way home from work.

But then I realized that even though I only work at the wood thing part-time, the time needs to be spent as efficiently as possible and I need a saw that will get 'er done.

I am going to order a Grizzly G1023SLW.  In fact while I am at it I think I will order a G0490 Jointer to keep it company   :).

I pick up the Woodmaster 718 and 5hp blower at the freight terminal on the 17th.

The barn and kiln are very nearly done.  Just have to make the doors, hang the lights, install the cart rails for the kiln and I should be out of excuses  8) 8)

Larry and Pigman, I feel your pain  :D

I will sleep good tonight.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

fstedy

OWW
Excellent choice Grizzly makes great tools for the money. I think you bought a much better machine than the Craftsman. Enjoy it it makes SAWDUST.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

GF

Just my 2 cents worth I have that saw you were looking at, I have to say it has a nice fence, and the hood of it looks good but it does lack horsepower under the hood.  I think you made the correct decision. 

Den Socling

OWW,

That's a nice saw! I bet you will like it but, if you never bought anything like it from Grizzly, prepare for 'some assembly required'. Everything goes together easily enough but you won't believe how many pieces you have when you open the package.  :o It IS build your own saw.   :D

Den

OneWithWood

Hey Den, it seems everything I buy has some 'assembly required'.  Good thing I enjoy a good puzzle  :)

There is a silver lining to the assembly phase - I definately will understand how it went together and troubleshooting gets just that much easier.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

shopteacher

As for myself I'd rather buy a used, good condition Powermatic 66, Delta unisaw, or General table saw than a Sears or any of the imports.  I've owned a couple Grizzly machines and have one at school and really have no complaints.  I never quite figured out what "for the money" meant.  I take it that a person would be satisfied with an inferor machine because it cost less.  I on the other hand I would rather buy a slightly used superior machine or wait till I had the cash to buy what I really wanted.  I now have a 92 woodmizer LT40HD and plan to up grade to probably a newer model and maybe someday be able to ge a new one, but at least I got what I wanted and I've been very happy with the machine and it's performance.  Just my cent and a half worth.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Thank You Sponsors!