iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to the Forum

Started by Biocmp, June 14, 2012, 11:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biocmp

Hello all!

I'm new here and I just wanted to drop in and say hello. I'm probably the typical new guy: disgruntled businessman who is looking to create a life he enjoys living. My day job is business/computers and I am burning out quick. I'm tired of working hard for someone else, I'm ready to work hard for myself.  Anyways, I have an exit strategy planned out for the next 3-5 years (depending on how long the market will offer my current wages). In that time, I hope to assemble a nice collection of support equipment as well as purchase my first mill and begin milling for myself, friends and family.

Because I expect it to be a weekend thing for the first couple of years (at least), I'm looking at the WM 35/40, hydraulics are important. I currently live in Colorado but will be moving back to the midwest in the next year.  I have a few markets identified and don't intend to make this a sole source of income.

I could write pages of my amenable business dreams but I started this post to say hello! I look forward to meeting everyone and acquiring some of the vast amount of knowledge I've seen on here.

Misfit

Welcome Biocmp. You'll find a lot of kindred spirits here, myself included. Although I'm more than twice as long in the tooth as you, I too am fed up with the corporate life and am planning a similar exit strategy.

I'm curious to know what part of Colorado you're currently in as that state is high on my list of places to relocate to. In fact, we booked our flights to Denver today for a trip in September.

As you've already noticed, there's a never ending supply of information here and many knowledgeable people willing to share. Wishing you all good things for your future plans!
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Jeff

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Biocmp
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OneWithWood

Hello, Biocmp.

Your plan was my plan about 10 years ago.  The best advice I can give you is to keep your day job while you invest in the equipment you will need for your dream job.  the dream is a whole lot more fun and easier to attain if you own the equipment free and clear.  :)

Check this thread out.  The pointers I received were right on the money. 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,1400.0.html
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Biocmp.  Growing into any business is much better than paying someone interest on a loan.  It is nice to hear that you are thinking smart and using the largest muscle that we have....your brain.

It will be enjoyable to follow your progress.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Biocmp

Thanks for the warm welcomes from everyone!

TheCanuck,

I'm just to the west of Denver. I think it is a beautiful place to live but I've only been here around a year. It's been everything I could hope for. 300+ days of sunshine a year, mostly 4 seasons and humidity is very low (which is a plus in my books). Being in the mountains is a great way to spend a weekend, but sawing up some lumber ain't bad either :)

I hope you enjoy it out here, if I weren't in a developing relationship and thinking about my future family, I'd likely stay here the rest of my life. Lands a bit pricier but not outrageous.  We want to be close to our families in the event we begin having children so we'll be moving away. Denver has good people and a big open sky. I hope you enjoy your time out here.

OneWithWood,

Very inspiring thread! Your executed plan is very similar to my dream  :)  I have a question regarding your kiln: what kind of electric expenses do you have if leaving it in full-time operation through a month?

I have a friend who owns a welding shop and I'll be showing him your cart and tracks, I hope you don't mind if I borrow your designs.

Also, I still haven't seen the email that confirms I've been approved for this forum. Since I am posting, can that be taken as an approval? I've also located a nearby member who is on here IMERC...I've been trying to send him a PM but I do not have privileges for that.  How can I send him a PM?

redbeard

Welcome Biocmp, Colorado is one of my favorites love the four corners area. We went on road trip few years ago and ended up staying in Durango most of our vacation had a blast.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

I'll be back in Montrose in October.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wwsjr

Welcome to the Forum. I lived in Colo Spgs 4 years and Pueblo for 6 years. I wanted to stay in CO but family and cost of living after I retired were to factors to return to the place where I grew up. Being your own boss and sawmilling to me is living a dream.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Biocmp

I'm pleased to see so many people who have also enjoyed Colorado, it's a very nice place.

Quote from: wwsjr on June 14, 2012, 04:13:26 PM
Welcome to the Forum. I lived in Colo Spgs 4 years and Pueblo for 6 years. I wanted to stay in CO but family and cost of living after I retired were to factors to return to the place where I grew up. Being your own boss and sawmilling to me is living a dream.

WWSJR, family and cost of living can have that affect. It's what I anticipate moving forward so I'm going near the place where I grew up as well. I hope to be living that dream with you. I'll delay my gratification until I am able to pay things off but trust me, you have a fellow sawyer in the making :)

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome.

OneWithWood

Bio,
Feel free to copy the design.  I got it out of the Nyle instruction manual.
The kiln costs about $300-350 to run for a solid month.  I try to run full loads of 3000 bdft so it comes out to about $0.10 in electricity costs per board foot.
One With Wood

WDH

Quote from: Biocmp on June 14, 2012, 02:42:59 PM
Also, I still haven't seen the email that confirms I've been approved for this forum. Since I am posting, can that be taken as an approval? I've also located a nearby member who is on here IMERC...I've been trying to send him a PM but I do not have privileges for that.  How can I send him a PM?

You are approved or you would not be posting.  Go to IMERC's profile.  On the left side of the page you can see where you can choose to send him a PM.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Shotgun

Look at Reply #2 above.  That's as high as it gets.  Jeff is da Boss, head honcho, site owner, cook, head administrator, and chief pig roaster.

Welcome aboard Biocmp.

Shotgun
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

dblair

Welcome to the forum , just an old retired guy myself with a hobby mill or two . hope you can turn it into whatever you want for the future .

old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

sandhills

Welcome to the forum, everything starts with a plan!  I get to go to Estes park for 5 days for my sis in laws wedding in about 10 days and can't wait (although I do wish I had another month to get things done first  ::)).

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. I grew up in Monte Vista Co. I think it is one of the most beautiful States that we have. Just darn hard to make a good living.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Biocmp

Thanks for more replies and warm welcomes.

OneWithWood,

How deep did you pour your footers? I couldn't find that. I have a very similar vision except there will likely be a few small changes: I'll have a shop with some older,heavier equipment so I believe that'll add a few inches of depth for the footers. I want to create a second level to house an apartment for me and the LOML. She said she's willing to live above the shop "as long as it's cute". Not quite sure what that means but I'm sure me and my wallet will find out when this project begins :)

That will obviously require some unique changes to the shop/barn. I like the idea of running piping in the slab for a wood burning stove in the shop (and I may add one in the apartment above).

I realize this is very ambitious but I don't see any other way to make my dream come true than to focus on the first building, create a place to live and house the equipment, then move on from there. One of the products I'm hoping to offer is flooring, I have a contractor friend who will be willing to refer me for some jobs so hopefully that will provide some income while I am milling, building, farming and the billion other tasks I see laid out before me.

The plan will likely change many times but I'll keep asking questions. Thanks for any and all replies.

OneWithWood

The footers will be dependant on the ground conditions and frost depth of where you settle.  I poured a 6" slab that I am confident can withstand any equipment I might put on it.  The slab under the kiln is isolated from the rest of the structure by rigid insulation.  Hydronic heating is something I thought about and many times wish I had done.  We heat our house and my wife's 30x96 greenhouse with an outdoor boiler.  OWB take a lot of wood and I wasn't sure I could keep up with two units. splitwood_smiley
One With Wood

Biocmp

Thanks for the reply OWW, is the greenhouse connected to your house? I guess that could be a whole other topic, but the young lady I am with wants to turn our land into a homestead and a greenhouse will be on the short list.

Does the OWB pipe into both structures, how big is it?

thecfarm

Biocmp,welcome to the forum. Watch out for any shows that will sawmills there. It's always great to look and learn. Good luck with your dream. I'm close to what I want now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OneWithWood

The greenhouses are separated from the house.  We use a Central Boiler CL7260, the largest boiler they made at the time.  The house run is about 200' and the separate run to the large greenhouse is about 100'.  There are two separate circuits running from the OWB.
One With Wood

Thank You Sponsors!