iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leaf wilt

Started by jeff, May 06, 2001, 08:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I am planning on removing some oaks on my property. Do I need to paint over the stump to protect my other trees from oak leave wilt? My understanding is that the disease starts when infected beetles are attracted to the sap of wounded or pruined oaks. and that healthy trees in the area can be infected through common rooting. So, would that mean if I cut down a healthy tree, I should then paint over the stump to seal it?

I dont have any wilt near me, but they sure are hollering about it on our local news.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Be sure that you do not have any oak wilt in your area. Do not prune or cut your trees until after July 15, September 15 preferred after trees have hardened off to give time for any oak wilt fungus to die off over winter.

Are you going to have the tree stumps removed and chipped? Best method, if not use a Tree Guard coating on the cut stumps or any tree wounds.

Follow any MSU Extension and Forest Health alerts on Oak Wilt. It's very deadly, especially to red oak.

A good contact on Oak Wilt is:

Joseph G. O'Brien, Plant Pathologist
  USDA Forest Service
  Northeastern Area State & Private Forestry
  Forest Health Protection
  1992 Folwell Avenue
  St. Paul,MN 55108

(651)639-5266
  jobrienAfs.fed.us

Joe has recently been working on an Oak wilt control research project on the Loon Lake summer home group, Mio Ranger District, Huron National Forest.

There is also a good article on Oak Wilt in the May 2001 issue of the Journal Of Forestry; Society of American Foresters.
~Ron

Jeff

The trees I am talking about can wait till fall if necessary. I need to remove them to prepare an area large enough to pre-assemble my log cabin. I take it that cutting the oak in the fall will take care of my concerns?

I know of no oak wilt near by. Do you Ron? You know where I am at.

RavioliKid

When I was at a neighborhood potluck last night, oak wilt was a hot topic of conversation.

Are there any symptoms of it, and if so, do you know if there are any treatments? Or, is it a fatal blow? I'd hate to lose my oaks! I have several beautiful ones in my yard.

RavioliKid

Ron Scott

Rav,
See the oak wilt thread.

It is deadly to the oak trees, especially red oak. The only possible treatment at this time is to try and prevent the spread to other oak trees by severing the roots of the infected trees with a vibrator plow. This prevents the root graft transfer of the fungus.

Infected trees are lost and must be removed with care.

~Ron

Jeff

I don't think thats a treatment is it Ron, but more of an attempt at quarantine?

Ron Scott

No not really a treatment to save the infected trees, but rather an effort to suppress the rapid spread from tree to tree through the grafting root systems.

There is no saving an infected oak tree.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!