iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fabtek head

Started by deastman, July 16, 2013, 08:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deastman

Has anyone else with a Fabtek four-roller head had trouble with holding larger trees upright while moving or swinging? My leveler motors seemed to be weak and wore out. If you held the head level while empty you could watch the head drift or leak clockwise because of the weight of the saw motor on the right side. When cutting larger or taller trees you couldn't control them and they'd overpower the leveler motors. Kinda like trying to balance a broomstickin the palm of your hand. Just replaced them with four brand new motors to cure the problem, it helped some but not the results i was expecting. Guess my next move would be to replace the two crossover relief valves. Is this problem common for the Fabtek head or should i keep working to solve the problem?
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Northern Timber Harvesting

I had one on a 501 that I bought new, it did the same thing. I like the broomstick analogy, that describes it well.

deastman

Quote from: Northern Timber Harvesting on July 16, 2013, 08:55:41 PM
I had one on a 501 that I bought new, it did the same thing. I like the broomstick analogy, that describes it well.
It can be very frustrating at times
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Corley5

Mine does the same thing  :)  Travelling with the head empty it tilts on its own.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

jdament

That is just the way they are.  I have a 153 and work with 4 501's all the same.  With big trees you have to get under them real quick.

logloper

I blew a hose to the rotator motor one day. When replaceing it you had to undo several hoses for access. Putting it back together, I accidentaly switched the hoses. I noticed a difference immediately in how well the head would hold the tree upright. After investigating, I found that one of the motors was plumbed backwards from the others. When I put the hoses back , I once again had better control. Might not be explaining it real well, but one motor was holding against the other.

deastman

Thanks guys for all the input,  I'll have to do some research with Danfoss and see if they have a stronger motor that will fit the same application

Thank You Sponsors!