iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Guy with my Sawmill Build

Started by Jimmysmill13, December 16, 2015, 06:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

that has to roll real easy with that size wheel?

Jimmysmill13

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 20, 2018, 11:06:38 AM
I like your color scheme - are you into Harley's? ;)

I REALLY like your transport support bar for the head.  That will save you some grief.  On your log dogs, I noticed your T-bolts down on the bottom.  You probably already found out you won't be needing those.  Once there is pressure on the top log screw, they seem to lock in place on the slider.

Your log bunks look pretty low.  What is the thickness of your last cut you can make?  Might need to add something on top of the bunks.  Have you thought about adding linkage to your log dogs so they all raise and lower together?  Not sure if that would be good or bad.
Thanks!
The T-bolt are really just to store the log dogs. That way they are not bouncing around on the road.
Your right about the log bunks. I have to add a top bunk. My last cut is 5" so I will be adding those in the near future.

Jimmysmill13

Quote from: Crusarius on March 20, 2018, 11:22:04 AM
that has to roll real easy with that size wheel?
The mill rolls extremely easy and smooth. I was really surprised how well they worked. The wheel is 4"

Kwill

Nice looking setup. What size metal did you use for the log stops? The sliding parts.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jimmysmill13

Quote from: Kwill on March 20, 2018, 10:56:55 PM
Nice looking setup. What size metal did you use for the log stops? The sliding parts.
Thanks! 
The log stops are made from 1/4"x2"x2" square tubing.
 It slides into 1/4"x2.5"x2.5" square tubing. 

Jimmysmill13

So today I setup the mill up. Fitted the  new blade and started to test run the mill. 5 minutes into the run I bent the a shaft. 

I am running a 1" shaft and I know that was it was insufficient. So I need to upgaded. Will a 1.5" shaft work ok? I have H-Block style Sheaves and the largest H-Block available is 1.5". 

Kbeitz

More important is the kind of steel you use...  Use something like 1060 steel 
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kwill

Quote from: Jimmysmill13 on March 21, 2018, 10:16:47 PM
Thanks!
Thanks for the info. Gonna pick some up tomorrow hopefully to get mine made.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Kwill on March 22, 2018, 10:33:40 PM
Quote from: Jimmysmill13 on March 21, 2018, 10:16:47 PM
Thanks!
Thanks for the info. Gonna pick some up tomorrow hopefully to get mine made.

Word of caution, though.  Not all 2x2 and 2.5x2.5 are equal.  I have some 2x2 that is very square-cornered and some that is more round-cornered.  The 2.5x2.5 (that I got) is more rounded cornered.  The more square 2x2 won't fit without knocking the corners off - a real PITA.  Also, the inside of the 2.5 will have a weld seam that  you will have to deal with.  I chucked mine up in a 4-jaw off center and used a boring bar to take it out.  Others have used a file - not sure which is faster.

Also, I had some 2x2 that wasn't.  It was slightly thicker one way as was the 2.5x2.5.  They only fit one way so watch for that as well when you get ready to weld nuts and such on.  Or, do what I did and hit the thick side with an angle grinder - almost was able to fix it with a sanding disk - it was that close.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

BigZ La

If you don't mind me asking what did you use for your rails that the wheels are running on. It looks like a small railroad rail.  :D

Jimmysmill13

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 22, 2018, 06:05:40 PM
More important is the kind of steel you use...  Use something like 1060 steel
Would you know where to purchase some 1060 shafts? That stuff is hard to find.

Jimmysmill13

Quote from: BigZ La on March 23, 2018, 12:19:30 AM
If you don't mind me asking what did you use for your rails that the wheels are running on. It looks like a small railroad rail.  :D
The I-beam and Rail are from a Double Girder Crane that was taken out of service. 

Crusarius

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 22, 2018, 11:48:05 PMI have some 2x2 that is very square-cornered and some that is more round-cornered.

This is typically due to wall thickness. The thicker the wall the larger the radius. Makes spotting wall thicknesses pretty easy if you know what you are looking for.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Jimmysmill13 on March 23, 2018, 06:41:46 AM
Quote from: Kbeitz on March 22, 2018, 06:05:40 PM
More important is the kind of steel you use...  Use something like 1060 steel
Would you know where to purchase some 1060 shafts? That stuff is hard to find.
Any of the metal suppler should be able to get you anything you want.
If you have the right shafting you could stay with 1"
Got to E-bay and search for   " hardened steel linear bearing rod"
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

can also put that end into double shear by adding another bearing. But I would still recommend a better shaft

Kbeitz

E-bay has some air hardening, high-carbon, high-chromium tool 1" D2 shafting listed for sale. Much better than standard shafting.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jimmysmill13

Quote from: Crusarius on March 23, 2018, 09:03:34 AM
can also put that end into double shear by adding another bearing. But I would still recommend a better shaft
Thanks for the help

Jimmysmill13

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 23, 2018, 09:10:15 AM
E-bay has some air hardening, high-carbon, high-chromium tool 1" D2 shafting listed for sale. Much better than standard shafting.
Ok I will check that out.  Thanks for the help

Jimmysmill13

UPDATE AND REDESIGN #1000

I have decided to to change the 1" shaft to 1.5" shaft. I felt even with going with a 1" higher grade shaft there maybe two much flex with the amount of pressure being applied to the band saw blade and sheaves.

I have installed new:
Shafts 1.5"
UC208 1.5" Pillow Blocks
Split Collars 1.5"
New Drive Sheave to slow the Blade speed down to 4416 SFPM
91" 5/8" B-Belt
Redesign belt tensioner / bracket
Built guard around drive wheel

I have since been able to run the sawmill on my first test log and very pleased with the result. The mill is running great now. I did make one mistake and I don't know what I was thinking when I installed the log dogs and log stops. I installed the log stops on the wrong side of the log bed. Instead of removing then I am just going to lift the mill head off and spin it around. Problem solved.

Magicman

Wow Jimmy, this 2½ year journey should be required reading for anyone considering a sawmill build.  You have been very professional with your narratives and picture documentation.  My FF hat is off to you.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Jimmysmill13

RjMaan

Wow, man I really like your efforts on making such an impressive sawmill. Well, there are many SPAM LINK EDITED OUT BY ADMIN available and you should use them for future repairing.

Jeff

Well, I started watching this guy above yesterday when I saw posts that just seemed odd. Friendly posts but out of place. I thought and hoped perhaps he was the first legit member from Pakistan. NOPE.  So, I had to ban him. Apparently the new tactics from spammers is to gain entrance, try to blend in, then post links to direct you to what ever it is they post links to.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!