iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 production question??

Started by jeremiahdixon, January 31, 2011, 05:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremiahdixon

Hi everyone, I am curious about how many logs I might be able to cut on my LT40 with 8' 8" avg dia 10" making 2 passes on each oak log?

Bibbyman

I'm not clear on what you're making but the problem I see is getting them on and off fast enough. 

I'd say if we were just slabbing two sides and pushing them off,  we could maybe do a 100 a day.  But..  we have an LT40 Super with hydraulic power pack that speeds up the hydraulics.  Also an infeed deck and rollers to push the cants out after they're sawn.

16' live deck infeed that I could probably stack 20 or more small logs on at a time.

Sections of skate rollers used with the roller toe boards make removing cants easy and quick.

You say LT40...  Manual or hydraulic?  Old style hydraulics or new with two-plane clamp and roller toe boards?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

jeremiahdixon

Well the finished products will be stringers. I do have a live deck feeding the mill and a conveyor coming off the LT40 that picks up slabs or whatever im cutting. My mill is a super hydraulic 3 phase. I took all of the hydraulics off of it though and am going to run them off of my Brewco super edger. Im not sure about new style or old style. I can take some pictures and maybe you could tell me  ;D I would actually like to do more then 100 but if not Ill be ok with whatever I can get. I will try to figure out the picture process and post some of my set up.

Bibbyman

By "new style" I mean with two-plane clamp and roller toe boards.  The roller toe boards make it possible to roll the cant off the mill.  Otherwise you have to do some lifting.

Keep in mind too,  it's just me and Mary.  We're both old enough to get the senior discount at the cafe without asking.  So if you've got more help and energy, you're going to be able to out produce us.

So, what are you doing?  Slabing two side on the WM and then sending them through the Brewco to make 6x8 or 7x9 or whatever?

I think we'd all like to see pictures of your setup.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

Quote from: jeremiahdixon on January 31, 2011, 05:15:55 PM
I am curious about how many logs I might be able to cut on my LT40 with 8' 8" avg dia 10" making 2 passes on each oak log?

With all of that production equipment, I'm curious about your original question  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Slingshot

My answer would have been,..... "All of 'em, if you keep at it".   :) :)

Woodey

Bibbyman, I like your production setup.
How do you get the cants off the skate rollers ?
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Bibbyman

Quote from: Woodey on February 01, 2011, 10:20:17 PM
Bibbyman, I like your production setup.
How do you get the cants off the skate rollers ?

I just tip them over onto a pair of skate rollers going the other way.
Sawing since '94

jeremiahdixon

Bibbyman, I am 2 siding the log to where I have a true 3 and a half inch middle piece. Then run everything through the edger, chop it, then going to a 2 head resaw with returns and power feed.
Magicman, I am hoping I have a good set up. Ive never worked in a milll before and really do no know much about the whole process or what to expect from it. Time will tell I guess.... ;)

Bibbyman

What are you doing with all the outside lumber?  How are you handling that?
Sawing since '94

jeremiahdixon

Ok if you mean the top and bottom pieces? I am putting them through my edger too and going through the process. If I get any tie logs I have have a set of rollers that are pop up that will carry them off to a rack. Then the slabs off of it will be used for stringers as well. Sounds good anyway, not sure how everything will work out. Kind of why I was wondering what kind of production I might look to getting out. 

customsawyer

Where are you located and what kind of logs are you cutting?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

jeremiahdixon

Im located in south central mo and plan on cutting oak cant logs.

Bibbyman

You've got quite an impressive list of integrated equipment.  Did you develop this system?  Or is it "new to you"?
Sawing since '94

jeremiahdixon

Mainly just been modifying to what I believe will work best in my opinion. Ive got a partner helping me and lots of opinions from all directions. I took the hydraulics off of my LT40 for one because they seemed slow, and my edger has way more hydraulic power then it needs. I boughts a Morgan air chop saw and am in the process of turning it around to fit in my space and am hooking up all new cylinders and hoses. Few conveyor belts here and there, have built and modified some just plain ol paid for the others. Do not have the 2 head at my location yet but will get around to it in time. I have a Manitou rough terrain forklift that I used to build my building and set up the equipment so far. Will probably sell it soon, the mast is too tall to work for my needs. I also have a Prentice 210 with CTR bucksaw I am going to use to buck all of my trees from tree length to 8ft 8in logs. I have tried posting some pictures but isnt very easy for me to figure out.

customsawyer

The only thing that I can tell you is with my set up I have tried several times to get more production and the one thing I have found is the mill is not the bottle neck. There is something behind it or in front of it that tends to need improved on.
That is just my experience.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ljmathias

Yeah, mine too, and the bottleneck is usually ME!  Just finished up a batch of live edge pine siding cut at 4/4 and 8+" wide- timed myself on it: once I had the log on the mill, I could cut slabs and boards at less than a minute each.  Then it took about 3-4 minutes to scrape off all the sawdust and peel off bark with a slingblade, then stack on the FEL of my tractor to carry over for stickering: very, very time consuming when you work alone.  Oh, well, the look when it's finally stained and hung is fantastic and well worth the effort.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

jeremiahdixon

I finally got to turn my woodmizer on today. Well kinda, I guess we had the 3 phase wiring backwards and therefore the band turned backwards and locked up on me throwing the band off and rolling it around the pulley. OOOPS :) Lessons learned.

WH_Conley

OOOK. Interesting fact about 3 phase I guess. Have to remember that.
Bill

isawlogs

Quote from: jeremiahdixon on January 31, 2011, 05:15:55 PM
Hi everyone, I am curious about how many logs I might be able to cut on my LT40 with 8' 8" avg dia 10" making 2 passes on each oak log?

Cutting two passes on 10 inche logs , you can easily cut two logs at once .. I think you can cut way more then 100 peices a day, if you have something to take those cants off the mill fast enough
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Brucer

Quote from: WH_Conley on February 17, 2011, 11:05:01 PM
Interesting fact about 3 phase I guess. Have to remember that.

The electricians where I used to work could never be bothered tracing out the wiring when they were installing new motors. They'd just leave the motor uncoupled, hook up the wires, and run the motor. If it ran backwards they'd swap two of the wires. They said is was faster and easier than trying to trace everything.

I'm not sure if this was the approved way of doing it, but everyone in the plant did it that way.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

kderby

Marcell good call on the two at a time.  I can do that with this size log if I am not so picky about cut accuracy (getting a pair of "flat" faces on mediocre fence post grade material so it will stack/band/store/transport easily).

kderby

pa_of_6

I would think that you should be able 20 logs an hour easily on the woodmizer mill, that is without and restrictrions feeding or offloading the mill.

Good labor is the key. You will have to figure out how many guys you need to allow you to attain the production you want.

You then will need to calculate what the return on extra manpower is.

If you are only getting 2 extra logs an hour by adding a fellow and paying him $14.00 per hour and getting paid 5 $ a log(after expenses).

You never did say how long your day was going to be either....8-10-12 hours..

junkorgem

Quote from: Brucer on February 18, 2011, 12:40:42 AM
Quote from: WH_Conley on February 17, 2011, 11:05:01 PM
Interesting fact about 3 phase I guess. Have to remember that.

The electricians where I used to work could never be bothered tracing out the wiring when they were installing new motors. They'd just leave the motor uncoupled, hook up the wires, and run the motor. If it ran backwards they'd swap two of the wires. They said is was faster and easier than trying to trace everything.

I'm not sure if this was the approved way of doing it, but everyone in the plant did it that way.

Hello all,
I've been reading this forum for at least three weeks and it's been very informative. I thought I would touch base on the three phase motor rotation subject.
It is perfectly acceptable to check rotation as Brucer described as long as equipment is not damaged. There are times when a rotation/phase meter is required, usually when working on an existing service. Say if you were to install a generator and transfer switch, you would need to be sure the generator was the same rotation as the service. There are some types of equipment that could be damaged by running backwards like scroll compressors and different types of hvac equipment. In the case of a bandmill I would simply remove the blade and "bump" it to determine rotation.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, junkorgem.  Good luck with your sawmill build.  It sounds like you bring some interesting knowledge to share with us.  Where are you gonna get those 48" trees from to slab? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

junkorgem

I'm not sure. Haha. I'm not sure if I could even move them if I did get them. Just want the capability. I've worked out a plan for my homemade mill. Started cutting and welding a little between snowstorms. I've got alot of parts to find/buy. I'm modeling my mill after a timberking, kind of. I have 3" tubing with 1/4" wall for the carriage frame. 5" angle for the track frame. Heavy duty stuff. I'm sorry, I'm rambling on someones thread.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum junkorgem!

Always great to see another NY'r enter here!

Lots of good info on this site!  Really good people too!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

junkorgem

Thank you Chuck, this forum is a great wealth of information!

jeremiahdixon

I would like to try two logs at a time but Im not sure how I would turn one or the other. I actually took my power pack box off and put a conveyor belt there to grab the cut pieces and go on to edger. As for hours in a day Ill be working, well I havent a clue. Whatever it takes I suppose. I think, but am not sure, that in a reversed three phase problem the solution is to swith around any 2 wires and will fix it. Dont take my word for it though.

jeremiahdixon

I got my 2 head Baker set in today and started all of my motors. Blower, chopsaw, Woodmizer and edger. Seems everything is so far so good. Maybe Ill be sawing before long.  8)

jeremiahdixon

I tried out my new log turner today on my LT40. I took all of the old off. cut a round wheel, welded teeth on it, and bolted it to a hydraulic motor then bolted that on a cylinder. I have my hydraulics all hooked to my power pack on my edger. It works like a dream. Im not certain how most mills turn their logs but mine works great and Im proud of it. I think I need new guide holders on my Woodmizer and Ill be sawing before I know....with any luck at all.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: jeremiahdixon on February 18, 2011, 11:38:23 PM
As for hours in a day Ill be working, well I havent a clue. Whatever it takes I suppose.
smiley_whip 24-7
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

jeremiahdixon

Sawed my first two logs on the woodmizer today. I still havent tried out my edger, chopsaw, or 2 head baker yet. Hopefully will be soon.

jeremiahdixon

can anyone tell me how to set my guides on the lt40? do i put tension down on the blade while its tight? also do i let the blade run against the lip on the back of the guide wheel?

Magicman

I'm not trying to cut you short with this, and I realize that the mill is new to you, but do you have your mill manuals.  There are some adjustments that you need to become very familiar with.  Understanding and following the manual's adjustment instructions is very important.

Yes, the blade should be deflected downward about ΒΌ" from the band wheels.  Yes, the blade should ride about 1/8" ahead of the blade guide rear lip.  There should also be blade guide deflection which allows the blade to contact this lip only on the drive wheel side which forces the blade into tighter contact with the blade guide.  The list goes on.

jeremiahdixon

No manuals. Sounds like it might be a good idea to get some. The information youve given will be very helpful though and I appreciate it alot. Thank you.

Brucer

Contact Wood-Mizer and get the manuals ASAP!

They have all the information you'll need about spare parts, adjustment, Preventive Maintenance, mill alignment, and safe operation.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

backwoods sawyer

:P :P :P :P ;D :P :P :P :P 8)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

MartyParsons

Hello,
we have an WM owner day next Friday here at PA Wood-Mizer. We explainand and show how alignment is done. Also one scheduled for West Virginia May 7th.

Did you ever hear the pharse give a man a fish feed him for a day or teach him how to fish and feed him for a life time. Same principal.

Topics covered are Wood Mizer Blades ReSharp tour, sawmill preventive maintenance and alignment, question and discussion on what ever you want to talk about.

Wow we have about 45 WM owners signed up for Friday April 8th.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

jeremiahdixon

I have my WM guides lined up after a couple of frustrating days. I had my Baker guides lined in a couple of hours. They arent as crucial though. I think anyway. This all just a guessing game to me so I appreciate all of the advice I can get. I am going to saw a few stringers tomorrow, with any luck at all.

cypresskayaksllc

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

jeremiahdixon

The picture is of what I got started with. Looks alot different around there now. I think have picture posting down so I will get more up asap. :)

Papa1stuff

How about a show in Central Florida??
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Thank You Sponsors!