iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which side guides should go on ?

Started by rbarshaw, April 07, 2011, 04:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbarshaw

I'm putting the Cooks roller guides on to day. Which side should the fixed or movable guides go on, the driven or the idle wheel?
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Tom

The fixed guide should probably be placed on the side of the mill that has the dogs that the log will be pinned against. That will make its distance fixed from the side of the log everytime.

rbarshaw

Quote from: Tom on April 07, 2011, 04:07:39 PM
The fixed guide should probably be placed on the side of the mill that has the dog that the log will be pinned against. That will make its distance fixed from the side of the log everytime.

That's good Tom, I still have the dog option open (haven't added them yet) so which side do you think now?
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!

Tom

It depends on which way you want to turn the log.

If you follow Woodmizer's design, The log is loaded from the idle side and dogged against the power side.  The good thing about that is that it relieves some of the dependence on the pressure of the clamp and gives two points, on either end of the log, for the blade, as well as the clamp to apply pressure.

If you follow Baker's design, The log is loaded from the idle side, but dogged against the idle side (the same side as the loader).  That means that the single point of the clamp is what stops the log when it rolls onto the mill. It also means that the pressure of the blade cutting is pulling the log/cant away from the dogs and the cant is held by the single point of the clamp.  That leaves the ends of the cant free to move on the mill, being tugged around by the band.   The good thing is that it might allow the band to cut into clean/bark-free wood after the first face is opened and the log turned.  It also has the log on the side of the mill with the off-bearer and out of way of the direction of the band's travel.

For short logs and thick timbers, I like Baker's design.  For large logs, long logs and sawing boards, I like Woodmizer's design.  With more than one point dogged, you need very little clamping preasure and are less affected by a loosening clamp.

rbarshaw

I think i'm going to put the movable guide on the driven wheel side.

Thanks Tom.

bandmiller2

Rob,is your guide going to be manual adjust or power? If manual you want it where you can reach it easily.My bandmill is set up like mizers,my fixed guide is in the rear.Below my fixed guide I bolted a small piece of metal thats lower and stickes out in front of the guide.If I forget my swinging backstops are up  that steel piece will ether stop the carriage or push the arms down. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!