iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Perkins diesel

Started by Possum Creek, April 03, 2014, 03:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possum Creek

Has anyone used a  6 cylinder 354 Perkins diesel to power a circle mill? Any advice on this engine would be apprieciated.               PC

sealark37

Perkins diesels enjoy an excellent reputation for economy, longevity, economy, and serviceability.  If your engine is running, not knocking, not slobbering oil out of the exhaust, or leaking coolant, it should be a reliable power unit.  You don't say what configuration it is in.  To run a mill it needs an SAE clutch, a radiator, a charging system, and a fuel delivery system.  If it already has these features, fire it up and run it for a while.  There are no sources for cheap diesel parts, but Perkins parts can be obtained through many different parts sources, since the engines were used in many, many different applications by many, many OEM users.  Caterpillar has used the Perkins engines for years in it's equipment, and now owns some or all of their US operations.  Invest in a real service manual in addition to a user's manual.  Keep the fuel clean and the air filter cleaner.  Good Luck, and Regards, Clark

longtime lurker

Good engines - run forever on minimal fuel and maintenance, cheap and easily available parts, simple and well made, and you don't need a masters degree in electronics to make it work.

But only around 120 HP or so, out to about 150HP with a blower.
It would depend on how much sawmill you wanted to run with it I guess. Certainly make a good engine for a smaller mill but there's not a lot there to run any aux hydraulics and stuff with by the time you keep power up to the blade. Ideal with a manual mill running say a 36- 44" wheel... or a Kara or similar rack bench. Be a bit light to run a set of hydraulic knees, log turner etc as well though, at least in a production setting.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

iwiegian

I own a 1130 Massey(tractor) now and at one time a 1100 the difference is the 1130 has a turbo and the 1100 did not.  A non turbo 354 has 94 horse power and the 1130 has 121. They did make a 2000 series tractor that had more.  They are very good engines and very fuel efficient. I will be running my 46 inch belsaw with mine part time and expect it to have plenty of power.  Dave

Dave_

I ran a Perkins 6.3544 on my Belsaw mill.  It ran like a sewing machine.  As you probably already know, Perkins engines have a long tradition in the maritime world where reliability is paramount.  My engine is now being used to drive a line shaft for my belt driven feed mill and machine shop plans.  At the rated horsepower of 128, it is a little bit overkill for this application (traditionally a 10-20 h.p. engine ran the entire shop), but, it seems to like the new assignment ;D

For those interested, my dream shop would look something like this one:

http://www.sandersoniron.com/

backwoods sawyer

Dave that is quite the set up.
While you are running around Roseburg and have some time to kill stop in at "Art's Shoe Repair" on s.e. Stephens he has a shaft drive multiple machine center with sanders, shapers set up along the back wall, that may give you some ideas to work with. Besides Joe will talk your ear off :D

The 62 hp Perkins diesel I have in the rebuild shop is one of the odd ball motors and the parts I need are not available. Previous owner changed the oil and went back to work before finishing the job :o :-\
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

HPPDRoss

I run a 4.318 4 cylinder perkins on my circle mill. It came out of a massey ferguson combine and it runs great. I am very satisfied with the power and reliability. In my book, cant go wrong with the perkins.

Possum Creek

Thank you for all your replies, it sounds like this perkins engine is just what I need for my belsaw. Thanks again,                         PC

Dave_

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on April 04, 2014, 01:14:58 PM
Dave that is quite the set up.
While you are running around Roseburg and have some time to kill stop in at "Art's Shoe Repair" on s.e. Stephens he has a shaft drive multiple machine center with sanders, shapers set up along the back wall, that may give you some ideas to work with. Besides Joe will talk your ear off :D

The 62 hp Perkins diesel I have in the rebuild shop is one of the odd ball motors and the parts I need are not available. Previous owner changed the oil and went back to work before finishing the job :o :-\

Good advise on a local field trip 8)  I may even bring in some shoes for repair ;D

Thank You Sponsors!