iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watering Estimates

Started by SLOBuds, September 13, 2006, 07:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLOBuds

How can I find a way to estimate the watering needs of my trees?

I planted saplings 3 years ago and now many of them are upwards of 10-12' tall.  Some trunks as large as 2".  My watering now is guess work and I'd like to know that at least I am somewhat close to what they need.

Is there a calculation I can make based on species, size and climate data?  Is there research data I should look at?

I will not be able to purchase expensive equipment which needs to be monitored on a regular basis.

beenthere

SLObuds
How about some pics of those trees?   :)  We like pics and your trees should make some good ones too.
Are you using the drip irragation you discussed using couple years ago? 

I'd think you would try weaning them off of the irragation to see how they do on their own. Seems watering them would be a bit expensive, and getting them conditioned with roots down into moist soil would be best. If they get all the water they need at the top of the ground, that is where the roots are likely to hang out. 

What does your 'prof' suggest?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

PineNut

I have only watered trees once.  That was when we had a very dry spell right after the trees were set out. After two months without rain, I soaked the ground around the trees with an improvised drip system. Would guess I put maybe 3 inches of water on them. After that initial dry spell, I figure they were on their own.

SLOBuds

Well I see that I can't get by with anything in this place!   :)

Since the post a few years back, I've planted quite a few more trees and found (gee, what a surprise) that natives take to my soil like flies on sweat.  Well anyway ... I'm trying to grow rain forest trees in a hot and airid desert for the rest! :))

The original set are growing very nicely though.  Yes, I still have the drip system on them but no, the cost is not much to speak of.  And we are basically scared of thinking about taking them all of their H2O injections yet.  I still am trying to give deep, infrequent, irrigation.  Still attempting to get deep roots established for eventual independence.  The cost of my water is negligible.

With summers having temperatures in the 100s up to 110s, I'd like to keep the water going for a few more years.  This afternoon I found calculations for fruit tree irrigation and confirmed our fear that we are under-watering significantly.  I'd like to find the same or a similar calc for my shade trees.

I will take pictures this weekend and post before/after shots of where I planted.

By the way, in my post back a few years ago someone had recommended planting 6' on center.  That sounded VERY close back then, and it looks VERY close now.  I've got a Chinese Elm, Drake, next to a Coast Readwood, both within 8' of each other.  Both are healthy.  It's going to be quite interesting in 10 years seeing how those 2 play together.

Thanks,
Martin

Riles

6 feet on center is typical for plantation trees, ones you're going to harvest. Usually too close for shade trees, unless you like them that way.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

SLOBuds

Before:

Field Before Seedlings Are Planted

Now:

Seedlings Planted Jan 2004 - Picture Sept 2006

Almost 3 years later.  Haven't calculated mortality.  It hasn't been all that bad, but after all the work we put into them, we hate to loose even one!

Martin

SwampDonkey

Some of the trees look like sycamore. Am I right? Sure growing fast. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SLOBuds

Yes, there's a bunch of species - Sycamore, Poplar, Chinese Elm Drake, Catalena Cherry, Oak - Agrifolia, Bald Cypress, Willow, and a few others.

In hindsight I think we didn't take the right direction.  Most of the trees are not closely adapted to my California property.  I bought trees which 'theoretically' grow in my climate zone and soil.  But I think that I should have gone with locally-grown natives more.

The trees seem to be growing well.  But they get individual attention for the moment which most likely we won't be able to sustain that level of attention.  We are even growing a Giant Sequoia out there, which needs a cool moist coastal climate.  Far from what we have.  But the tree is doing fine due to close close supervision.

A few surprises.  The Chinese Elms absolutely love the place!  We have some of them grazed to the ground by deer, then trampled over by a brush hog, then sprout back to life stronger than ever.  On the other hand the Bald Cypress have largely died back.  All descriptions of Bald Cypress show them as being able to survive anything.

Go figure.

Thanks,

Martin

Furby

Ya can't kill Chinese Elms. :-\

pineywoods

Bald cypress needs LOTS of water. In fact they grow quite well with the roots under water..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SLOBuds

I based my original opinion on info such as this:

Bald Cypress Link

But I think that the Montezuma would be a better tree for my area - other than the California natives that I should really be planting.  More lessons learned!

All my trees are on drip and I could provide as much or as little water as needed.

Thanks,
Martin

SwampDonkey

I would think your native pines would do well. There is a California Sycamore, I was wondering if that was your variety. Platanus racemosa. Grows native along streams on the coast range and western slopes of foothills in Sierra Nevada Mnts. There is also a hybrid planted as oramental, London planetree. I had to look this info up, we don't have any in my area, but I notice some in central and southern Maine. I'm not sure where your at, but the Giant chinkapin Castanopsis chrysophylla is native to the coast ranges to the San Jacinto Mountains. The fruit looks similar to a chestnut (edible) and the leaf is long and narrow.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!