iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 overheating issues

Started by air1514, May 10, 2017, 09:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

air1514

I've got a Clark skidder with a good 353 in it. But it doesn't take long for it to overheat. On the first drag of the day it will be at 200. Water can be splashed on the radiator and it cools it down right away. I thought maybe the thermostat but I changed it with no difference. I think it's holding pressure. And the radiator isn't stopped up. What am I missing ?

Logger RK

Make sure the radiator is clean,inside & out. Inside incase stop leak was used. Also check so fan & water pump belts are tight. And if it recently had the water pump changed,check if it's the right one. I bought a new rebuilt 453 & they had a left hand water pump on it & it required a right hand one.Took Me awhile to figure that one out. Especially when the Company I got it from insisted it couldn't be that. Apparently the old way of having a R or L stamped on them was Old School so they go by serial numbers now.

Spartan

flush the rad and spray the fins to clean it.
If it cools down when you throw water on it, then your pump must be working to circulate it

air1514

I know exactly what your talking about with the water pumps lol. I put the wrong one on a different 353 one time and didn't think I was ever gonna figure out what it's problem was.  As far as this one goes... I guess I'll try cleaning the radiator out again. I did it a couple years ago when I had to pull it out to be fixed. I'm also gonna check the cap and try to pressure test the whole system. It really just acts like the radiator isn't big enough. So maybe it is stopped up.

treeslayer2003

my 664 has the same rad as my 666 with 453. i wound up recoreing both of them, no more issues running hot.

Spartan

I had to recore because I sprung leaks.
$1400 later I have never had issues

bushmechanic

Just a thought but do you have the fan shroud in place? I have saw many a machine overheat because the air was directed away from the rad rather than through it.

Ed_K

I did the same as spartan on my 4-53 haven't had a problem and the shroud is missing. But it never gets over 196 degs.
Ed K

air1514

Bad as I don't want to have to go to that expense... I think I agree that my radiator needs to be recored. Thanks for the replys. Guess I need to get it done before the motor gets to hot to many times.

Thank You Sponsors!