iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Barko 80 loader hydraulic problems

Started by mproads, May 21, 2017, 09:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mproads

Hello, I have a Barko 80 loader that I bought last fall to use on the farm.  I have it mounted on a Loadstar 1850 truck. I have the parts manual for it.  And I have plumbed it like it shows in the manual.  There is a left bank of valves that control the main boom, boom swing and grapple open/close. the right valve bank controlls the legs, stick boom and grapple rotator.  The right valve is working fine. the left bank is not.  At first, the boom swing and grapple worked.  The main boom would not move.  I could use the stick boom to pickup the main boom, and then, raise the stick boon back up.  The main boom would stay up. I would try to move the main boom up more, but nothing would happen. However, the main boom would go down.  Now the boom swing and grapple is not working.  I have taken the pressure hose loose from the valve bank and made sure that I have fluid coming to the bank. Has this happen to any one else?
Thanks Michael

killamplanes

Only problem I've had with my 80, has been the relief valves. Believe there behind the seat. There's 50 cent o-rings on them that eventually go bad. And this also allows you to adjust your pressure to pick up more etc. Don't crank them to high something will break. Maybe no help. Good luck, I always use ozark machinery in missourrI for parts, they good give a try...
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

mike_belben

And image of the hydraulic schematic would be helpful.  Is there a single pump feeding a flow divider or are the valve banks in series with a power beyond port from valve 1 feeding into valve 2?
Praise The Lord

Stuart Caruk

My Barko 450 sometimes leaks. As the hydraulic fluid level goes low the boom can't go up all the way (not enough fluid) eventually the swing goes away. Still haven't figured out how much this sucker holds. I've dumped in 165 gallons and still haven't ever hit the full mark on the glass. Someday I tear the track covers off and see what's leaking after the rebuild...

Sounds silly, but check the fluid levels.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

snowstorm

is this something you just set up?? when you talk about a left and rite valve bank that means you must have a tandem pump. with a feed hose to each valve bank. or it could be one valve bank with a mid section. a tandem pump is 2 pumps bolted together using 1 power source. 1850 ih ? thats been around for a while. gas or diesel?

mproads

Good morning, the two valve banks have their own feed line and return line. And yes the pump is two pumps in one. It has one large feed line from the tank to the pump.  And then two feed lines going to the valves.  The Loadstar is a 1975 model with 19,000 miles on it. Diesel with a 5+3 speed trans. 

Grandpa

I'd switch the pressure hoses around, if the problem switches sides, it's the pump. If the problem stays on the same side I would start by looking at the main relief valve.

snowstorm

A pressor gadge would help. If it worked ok then didnt then maybe something holdong a relife open. Low pump flow will slow things down. Checking psi. Is the first place to stRt

Ox

Grandpa's idea is the best for cheap and effective testing.  Also, be sure to check for enough fluid like Stuart Caruk suggested.  These are two quick and easy things to do to really narrow down what's happening.

I my past experience with hydraulics, when everything was working just fine and then magically totally quit, it was a relief valve that went bad.  It allows all the oil (and pressure) to just pump right on past.

Things acting weird or funny was usually a plugged filter, filter screen or weak pump.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

mproads

Ok guys, I swaped the two hoses at the pump.  The right valve bank still working fine.  The left one, still nothing. I switch the hoses back because the parts manual shows that the pump output near the shaft goes to the left valve bank.  And the putput near the end of the pump goes to the right valve bank.  I have the tank about half full, its up on the dipstick. I have been thinking about adding pressure guages to the pressure lines when they come off of the pump so that I can set my engine speed as I get out of the cab.  Or does the guage need to be on the valve bank?  I will be calling my local Barko dealer tomorrow.  The parts manual has two diagrams on how the hydraulics are to be plumbed.  One shows the pressure hose on the top port of the left valve bank.  The other one shows it on bottom port.  Both diagrams show the pressure going in the top port of the right valve bank. I am thinking that its something in the relief valve.  Anyone have any pointers on working on the relief valves?
Thanks, Michael

killamplanes

Been along time ago but think there's a double nut or nut flat screwdriver system to adjust. Big wrench take it out and there's a spring and plunger, maybe brass, there's an o-ring. Just tear into it and clean it up. Adjust pressure when done. Hopefully this helped. Mine are directly he hind and below seat.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

kiko

Now that you have determined the pump(s) are operational.  Swap the  main reliefs from bank to bank, with the boom parked just to be safe.  The main reliefs will be located in the inlet section of each valve bank.   If you find a bad relief you will now need the pressure gauge to set the new one.

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

mproads

Its alive, Its alive.  Ok, so kiko said to swap the main reliefs from bank to bank. If I did this the right main relief from the right bank would put the pressure port to be on the bottom or the left bank.  I had stated that I had to different diagrams in the parts manual.  So, I went back and had some fresh (young) eyes to look at the diagrams.  And guess what, the pressure port for the left bank is on bottom in both diagrams.  Now we all know the the easy thing to do would be to swap the to hoses at the valve bank.  And we all know you never get to do it the easy way.  the bottom hose did not have any slack in it, and would not mate up the port. So, I had to undo the hoses where they come out under the truck frame.  Two hours latter I had it working. My wife said that my my truck should be really clean because I was really dirty.

Now we all know when you fix one problem you find another problem. The OP had the loader mounted at the end of his truck rails with a 20' box between the loader and the cab. He would hang the boom over the box with the grapple over the front of the truck.  I have the loader mounted behind the cab just in front of the rear axles.  I can not get it to fold up so that I can clear 13-6"  (its at 15'). Any one have any Ideas.

Thanks Michael

kiko

Persistence pays, glad you got it!   Maybe some pictures of what your dealing about parking the boom?   

mike_belben

Im not sure if you got it or not?

Most valve banks will have some letters near the ports.  P for pump, T for tank or "exh" for tank (return) and pb or bey for power beyond which you shouldnt be needing with the dual pump.  This left right top bottom description isnt workable for us.  They can be drilled anywhere.
Praise The Lord

Grandpa

I'm with Mike, I have no idea what Mproads last post said. Hopefully Kiko got it right and the loader works now.

mproads

Hey guys, yes the loader is working.  Its raining too hard to do anything with it tonight.   And I have a diagram on the hydraulics.  Hope this helps.

Thanks, Michael

kiko

I understand mproads diagnosis.   The diagram shows one pressure hose going to the " top "port of the inlet valve on one bank and the other pressure hose going to the "bottom" port of the inlet valve on the other bank.   However they are not actually opposite , each pressure hose goes to the same port on each inlet valve because the two valves are butted up to each other , at least in the diagram.   So one bank had the pressure hose going into tank port.  This created a open loop to tank on that pump/valve circuit, at rest and activation.   Under normal operation the open loop to tank would only exists at rest.

Maine372

let the grapple hang over back of the box, cut a slot for the boom to rest in if needed.

mike_belben

Looks real straight forward.  Tandem pump acts like two individual pumps, simple inlet and outlet for each valve section with no power beyond or flow dividing.
Praise The Lord

Grandpa

Thank You Sponsors!